Vortex vs. Leupold vs. Bushnell vs. NIkon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Vortex vs. Leupold vs. Bushnell vs. NIkon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Vortex vs. Leupold vs. Bushnell vs. NIkon

Hi all I wanted to see if anybody has any experience with Vortex optics and how they measured up to the Leupold, Bushnells, and Nikons. I wanted to see how their glass does for everybody and if anybody has had any problems with fogging or what not. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5984 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

never heard of vortex. most of my scopes are leupolds. i have a colt scope made in japan one of the original 1-4X20 ones. got a couple of nikon and some older ones form the 60's and 70's never had fogging issues with any of em even the el cheapo target sports 1x20 red dot that came on my ruger mk2.

i dont think fogging is a real issue with most scopes. however if your transporting them from warm to cold or other way round in high humidity the temperature shock may cause condensation to form on the outside of the lens. but that should go away when the scope temperature hits ambient. if its forming on the inside then you got a issue with the scope not being sealed. that would consitute manufacturer defect or user error by opening the scope body.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know Canebrake, one of our moderators, has a Vortex on one of his rifles. I'm sure he'll be along to give you an educated, fair opinion.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I have never seen a vortex but I know a few guys who love them. they all have the high end models.

I am not at all a leupold fan. The only one I bought was the biggest waste of $550 I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I traded it for a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x42mm and Now I am a nikon man. Just picked up and put a Nikon on my new AR-15.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Dead-Hold BDC Reticle

This is the scope I'm thinking of.

Anyone have any experience with it?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 03-15-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Vortex is coming out with a Viper PST that from all that I've heard and read about,is supposed to be a great scope and priced around $899.

I looked at the regular Viper,and wasn't impressed that much with it.The clarity wasn't great for a $500 scope,but it was a nice scope with alot of windage/elevation adjustment,and Vortex's warranty is supposed to be one of the best in the industry.

That said,if you are wanting a nice scope for the money,take a look at Sightron.I just bought a SIII 6-24X50 LRMD,and the clarity is as good as my Swarovski PH that cost 3X as much and alot of reviews say they look as good/clear as Nightforce.I haven't compared it to my Swarovski at dawn/dusk yet,but I think it will be right there with it as far as light gathering is concerned.

The Bushnell Elite 4200/6500 series are good scopes,but they don't have much adjustment range on the higher magnification scopes.

Nikon makes great scopes,and I have a couple Monarch's on hunting rifles,but for long range shooting they lack adjustment and on several models have 1/8" clicks instead of 1/4". For a hunting rifle or for shooting normal ranges,Nikon is well worth the price.

Some people like Leupold's,I'm just not one of them. Good scopes,decent glass,great warranty,and way over priced for what you get. IMO.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I have never seen a vortex but I know a few guys who love them. they all have the high end models.

I am not at all a leupold fan. The only one I bought was the biggest waste of $550 I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I traded it for a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x42mm and Now I am a nikon man. Just picked up and put a Nikon on my new AR-15.
Maybe you've done this tango but would you mind posting a picture of that AR15 with the Nikon on it? I'm looking at optics options for mine and would love to see how it looks and how you mounted it.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Here is the AR with a 6-24x50mm Nikon Monarch. I got a set of rings coming that are a tad bit shorter and will give me a bit better sight picture.

Last edited by cpttango30; 03-25-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Before I bought Vortex, I would buy the new Redfield scopes. Made by Leupold.

Nikon is really good as well.

I own an Elite 3200 3-9x50 and will be replacing it for my .338 WM. To small of an eye box for my liking, but is really clear, and holds zero well.

A true Gentleman always provides covering fire while his lady is reloading. It is only proper.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #10

I'll add my two bobs worth, Nikon, Leupold's are overpriced for what you get, I reckon that they all have the cost of the warranty factored in.