Vortex Viper scopes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Vortex Viper scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Vortex Viper scopes

I am looking at putting a scope on a savage model 10 LE rifle in 308. I have came upon vortex scopes. They look nice and I have saw some reviews also that say they are good. I am looking at the one thats like 3.5-10 or 4.5-14/16. Could any one give me any pros or cons on these scopes

Thanks
zac

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #2

My friend has the viper 6.5-20x44 on his remington 700 .308. He loves the scope. I've tried it out for a few rounds, and I'm going to get the same scope for my 700 also.

The vipers are very good scopes for their price bracket.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Vortex has been in the optics biz for a while and recently entered the rifle scope market and as prevously mentioned they are a good value in any of their products that range anywhere from $50 to $2100.

They have had some issues with the new PST line, from long wait times to some initial problems when they did ship but they have a great warranty and stand behind the product.

I don't currently have a Vortex scope but I do own some of their binos and I am very impressed with the price, fit, finish and optical clarity.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just can't get on board with, MADE IN CHINA.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
Well you better because everything is being made there just about anymore.

That FANCY computer your making that idiotic post on where do you think 99.9999% of the parts are made? That flashy new cell phone you have yup MADE IN CHINA.

Face it the Chinese are very good and making items and making them for a low cost.

I have a lower end Vortex 4-12x40mm Corssfire. Of the sub $200 scopes I have it OUT SHINES them all. Tracking is great, brightness and clarity are what you would expect out of a scope costing 2 to 3 times as much. Plus if you ever have a problem with a vortex scope they will repair or replace FREE of charge for the life of the scope. It doesn't matter if you are the first or 50th owner of the scope. When was the last time you got that from a $150 scope?

I sure would prefer to buy american first. I did once I bought a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm for my 700 VLS. That scope SUCKED to me it was nothing more than junk. Not as clear or bright as my Bushnell 4200 The eye relief move almost 5" from 6-18x. I ended up trading it for a 6.5-20x42mm Nikon Monarch and I am super happy with that trade. The way I hunt I keep the scope turned down to 6 or 6.5x then if I have time to turn it up I turn it up to the power I need to make the shot. I don't have time to be figuring out where to put my face when I am facing down a charging horde of zombie Ground hogs. I need to be on target now and be able to throw the rifle to my shoulder and make the shot.

Last edited by cpttango30; 02-22-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got a vortex 6-24x50 mil dot on my AR and absolutely love it. The price was great and it's been a great scope.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Make sure you check out the new Redfield products first, they are made by Leupold. Also, Burris produces good optics and they have several tactical options. Redfield may be slighly lower in cost than Vortex, Burris may be slightly higher.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The bad thing about redfield scopes is that they are a two piece tube from what I heard.

I do believe they are made in china as well.....

Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
Unless I am wrong, only their cheap Diamondback scopes are China. The rest are from Japan.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Redfield website says they are "built in the USA right here in Oregon". That may mean like most other factories, there are foreign made components assembled in the USA. Still appears to be a good scope for the money.