Is Vortex a Good Choice
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Is Vortex a Good Choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Is Vortex a Good Choice

Just ordered a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP scope and plan to switch the Nightforce NXS with bencrest reticle from my .308 to the .223 and put the Vortex on the .308. Both rifles are Remington M700 Milspec 5Rs.
At least that's the plan.
It appears to be a lot of scope for the money and I hope I am not dissatisfied with it.
Some of you who have one of these Vipers please give me some feedback on your likes and dislikes of the scope. I would really appreciate the info.
Silvertip

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #2

Liked 450 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I don't own one, but I have been around some of the users. The turret clicks are very solid, the reitcle is very clear and the glass provides good resolution.

IMO Vortex offers alot of bang for the buck for scopes going for under $1100.00.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #3

Liked 1497 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 702

I was looking at the Vortex scopes last year when all the hype was going on about them.It took them forever just to get the PST series produced,and a lot of people ended up going to another brand of scope after waiting for months,only to be told they had to wait some more.
I have never even seen a PST series except in photos,but I have looked at/thru their other scopes,and I wasn't impressed at all with the Viper,the glass in the ones I looked thru wasn't as clear as the Mueller scope that I was going to replace.

I ended up going with a Sightron SIII,and was so impressed with the quality and clarity of the glass that I bought another.They are every bit as clear as a Nightforce,but they don't offer FFP,nor does Sightron have a big selection of reticles.They do offer several new reticles for 2011 in the SIII series,but I haven't seen them.
Unless you have to have a FFP scope,I'd take a look at a Sightron SIII,they are worth every penny and then some.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 05-16-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Can't SpElL!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

Liked 2060 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I don't know much about the Vortex scopes but here is a good write up of one of them.

Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50mm Rifle Scope - Sniper Central

Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

I have a crossfire and love it.

Never seen a PST.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well I changed my mind about the Vortex since it was out of stock anyway. I have been reading a lot of comments on a couple of the sniper forums complaining of glass quality especially in the 4-16 that I decided to call and change my order to a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 with the NP-R1 reticle. I already have a Nightforce NXS with the NP-2DD reticle on the .308 so when the new one arrives I will move the benchrest reticle to the .223.
There were some good reviews about the Vortex as well, but it seemed that there was too much displeasure for me to feel comfortable.
I love the Nightforce that I already have so I shouldn't be disappointed with the new one. The only problem that I have had with the benchrest reticle is that when hunting sometimes the small dot is difficult to see in the woods.
I doubt that I will ever use the .223 for deer so the dot should be fine there for target or fat groundhogs.
Maybe I am jumping to unwarranted conclusions about the Vortex, but I have wasted my share of money on shooting accessories that I finally scrapped or became dissatisfied with and replaced with higher quality. At least I won't have to worry about it now.
Thanks fellas for listening to my rambles.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #7

i have looked at and through the vortex pst and they are the best scopes at there price point with a warranty that cant be beat. when i own a 18 or 20 ar-15 i will own one because the glass is clear and they are well built

Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have rescoped both my .308 and .223 with Nightforce and they are really great scopes. I will upgrade my .300 WM sooner or later, but first it will get a Jewell trigger then I will have to decide on a better scope. The Vortex may be more avaliable before I get the money saved up so it could be a choice again.