Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40mm First thoughts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40mm First thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40mm First thoughts

I just got my Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40mm scope in from Opticsplanet.com I paid $129 with free shipping.

When I opened the box it was securely packed by opticsplanet.com with a label on the outside noting that it was a delicate instrument. I think opened the Vortex box and found a very nice microfiber Vortex labeled cloth and my new scope. Upon looking it over I found that it look and felt like a $400 scope. The power adjustment ring turned with little effort and was very smooth in operation. I then took the turret covers off and noticed that the curling or checkering on them was deep and rough enough for easy use with cold wet or gloved fingers, yet not so rough as to be uncomfortable with bare finger. The clicks are loud enough to hear them over the tv and two arguing kids. These puppies are loud and give you a very smooth positive CLICK with making adjustments. They are not return to zero but, I wasn't expecting that in a scope of this price.

Then I took it to the front door and looked out at 12x. The image was as clear as my $500 Nikons it was very bright and showed no distortion at the edge like many lower price scopes will at maximum power. The FOV is great at both 4 and 12x.

It has more heft than the Simmons 3-9x50mm that it is replacing. It is heavy bit not overly heavy for a scope of this size. The total length is just shy of 13" with an advertised mounting length of 6" I measured and exactly 6" is what I got.

There were no defects to be seen on any part of this scope.

Without shooting it I am very impressed with the scope price vs quality aspect so far. More will follow when I get it out on the range.

I think that BSA on my 511x is going to end up as a Vortex soon.

Last edited by cpttango30; 09-16-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Excellent first impression write up Tango. *thumbs up* Will you be doing a box test with it once it's mounted?

Did you happen to check your price thru Promotive? Or did they not carry this model and that is why you went with Opticsplanet? Just wondering as Vortex is one of our brands.

Thanks for the review.

JD

Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

What are you mounting it on?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

JD I hate to say it but I so forgot about Promotive and all the shocking great deals there. That being said They do not offer the crossfire series of Vortex scope on promotive. But, There may be a second brand in Tangos safe next to my Nikons.

Daggle asked me about promotive over BBM and I had to do a face palm on that one.

Shihan it is going to be mounted on my Remington (Go figure) Model 30 express. This rifle has seen better days and needs to be reblued for now it is wearing some high temp flat black paint on it. This is a rifle I could dig a fox hole with and not really care about dinging up the stock. The biggest draw back to this rifle is the need for a scope that has at least 5.8" of mounting length. This really narrows your choices down. I was split between the Vortex and a Mueller APV. The only reason the Mueller lost out was because Opticsplanet.com didn't offer it and SWFA wanted $10 for shipping.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Thanks for the review Tango. I have been curious about them. Looking forward to the range report.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like a great buy. I'm curious about how well it will hold zero.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Glad you're happy with it. I'm very happy with the 6-24x50 I picked up not long ago.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I inherited a Vortex Strikefire Red Dot scope in a trade.

It was $160 at Gander Mountain(trader left receipt in box).

I have an Aimpoint Comp C3 2moa Red Dot.

While the Vortex is no Aimpoint, for the $ it's a very nice scope.

I would not hesitate to buy a Vortex product.

You review thus far has me thinking I might need one of these for my hunting rifle.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/