Voretx Strikefire
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Voretx Strikefire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guess this constitutes a review and I'm not quite sure I'm posting in the right area but here goes.

I've pretty much been an ACOG guy since they first came out but about 6 months ago I was doing a build with supplied optics and had to install and zero the Vortex Strikefire (red/green). I did a quick lookup and it was around $150 online so I didn't think much of it but mine is not to reason why.....

Long story short, I'm out back at the range function testing the build and zeroing for 25 yds as requested. Standard A2 base up front, flat top and flip up irons behind the strikefire. The first thing I noticed was how easy operation was, that is switching on, selecting red/green dots and adjusting intensity. The line up between the backup rears and the front site post through the sure fire lined up perfectly, the dot floats right at the tip of the front sight post.

The scope didn't shoot loose which was a major concern when I first saw is as there's only a single knob that locks it to the rail. There were no torque specs in the box so I locktited the screw and turned it down as tight as I dared hoping not to strip anything (real scientific, I know). Well, the locking screw was robust for sure. I ended up being able to screw it down tighter than I thought and it's rock solid for movement in any direction.

Ran 120 rounds of m855 through and the zero never moved. There are covered windage and elevation screws with clicks and markings and they stay put. At a 25 yard zero it was cake to make a small aim adjustment at the 50 yd line although it was essentially unecessary. Needed to drop the dot illumination to better see the100yd x ring and it was a simple matter of pushing the bright/dim pushbutton switches in the direction I wanted the dot to go.

The dot will shut down automatically after a Certain number of minutes or you can turn it off manually. When you turn it back on, it returns to the last setting so if you had it set at 50% green as opposed to 100% red, it comes back to your last setting. I personally love that little feature and I've also become a green dot fan.

Long story short, I bought one myself and have had it on one of my "go to" AR shorty's for about six months and I really love this scope. Considering value/price, I really haven't come across anything that's even close. I highly recommend this optic if you are looking for a versatile, well made electronic dot optic for a flattop AR platform. I shoot it allot so it's taken it's share of beatings.

The bad:
1. It literally takes an act of God to get the rear cap (soft rubber flip) on. The only way is to pull it off the scope, close it and press it back on. Very disappointing and extremely frustrating. I'll have to dig up a hard button flip for that and a hard cover for the front.
2. The operating switches are covered by a rubber, well, cover that's easy to use - your fingers just fall into place and you feel the buttons underneath. They were pretty good about o ringing everything that screws on (adjustments and battery compartment) so I assume the rubber button hood is a moisture seal. The problem is that around the 5 month mark I started to notice some cracking on the flexible rubber hood and it looks like its about to go. I'll have to look at how it's attached to the scope itself and contact the manufacturer to see what we can do.

At the end of the day, it does exactly what it should and has some very nice features you wouldn't expect from a scope at this price. It continues to hold zero with very few minor adjustments after allot of firing and again, I'm pushing 62 gr bullets through it for the most part so it's getting a little bit of a kick when it goes bang.

I hear they have a companion multiplier but I don't know if it's a fixed mount or swing away. They also have high rings if you need them and I think some sort of sunshade or glare reducer for the sniper in you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-29-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Nice report. Thanks.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I ordered one of these sights today. Glad to hear I made a good choice !

Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5651 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

ive got one on my m&p 15-22. alo have the magnifie for it. i would skip the magnifier if your using anything bigger than 556. the eye relief is way to short for a heavier recoiling round.

ive used it on my 458socom for several hundred rounds with no zero shift.

its the best dot sight out there short of a aimpoint or eotech

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

JonM, any report on the 2x doubler that comes with the sight? Is it any good or is it worth picking up the VMX3?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And what flip side mount did u get for it?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

The red/green is a nice piece. The red only is even better. If you can live without green, the red only will make anyone who like value, a convert

Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5651 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant View Post
JonM, any report on the 2x doubler that comes with the sight? Is it any good or is it worth picking up the VMX3?
Sorry i didnt see the thread again til now i wasnt following it.

But the vmx3 has a very very short eye relief. I wouldnt use it on any round bigger than a 556/223. Its decent long as your not expecting the perfomance of a 500$ magnifier

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...