Value of p.o. Ackley scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Value of p.o. Ackley scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Value of p.o. Ackley scope

Does anyone know where I can get an idea of the value of a P.O. ACKLEY 3X9 scope? I was given a Remington 700 30.06 for replacing a front door on a house & it has this scope on it. I know who Mr. Ackley was, but wasn't aware he had scopes under his name as well. I'm not interested in keeping the scope, I have other plans for this rifle, but I want to find out a little more before I part with it. Thanks for any help.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

nozzle, i googled p.o. ackley scope and came up on with this information. in the early 1970s, a company named EMDEKO International out of Salt Lake City Utah bought ackley's barrel company and built hunting rifles with his barrels and scopes with his name on it. the scope from what i can tell was imported and came in 3-9x40. the rifles were Interarms Mark X w/ ackley's barrels on them. are you sure that the rifle you have is a remington? i am no historian or gun expert but what if that rifle is a p.o. ackley rifle and scope? it could be very valuable. post pictures of it and take it to competent older gunsmith and have it checked out. p.o. ackley was a prolific and ahead of his time gunsmith, and contributed a vast amount to the shooting world. i am pretty sure that most of the younger generation of shooters and hunters have never even heard of him before. just some info you might look at.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

"the rifles were Interarms Mark X w/ ackley's barrels on them. are you sure that the rifle you have is a remington?"

Axxe, I'm quite certain I have a Remington and not an Interarms Mark X Mauser action. There are no indications that the this rifle was ever rebarreled, rechambered, or anything else. I am going to fire a couple rounds to be sure it wasn't made into an AI without remarking the barrel since this is how brass for an AI .06 is made anyways.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
"the rifles were Interarms Mark X w/ ackley's barrels on them. are you sure that the rifle you have is a remington?"

Axxe, I'm quite certain I have a Remington and not an Interarms Mark X Mauser action. There are no indications that the this rifle was ever rebarreled, rechambered, or anything else. I am going to fire a couple rounds to be sure it wasn't made into an AI without remarking the barrel since this is how brass for an AI .06 is made anyways.
well if the scope is a p.o. ackley, it would be probably worth something to a collector. could not find a whole about the scope, but i think they were made in china for EMDEKO to put on those rifles they rebarreled w/ ackley's barrels.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #5

axxe55 you are correct on the rifles and the scopes. EMDEKO entered into an agreement with Ackley to produce a rifle with the P.O.Ackley name on it. They were all on imported Interarms Makr X actions. They were sold with or without the scope. The scope was also an import that the Ackley name was put on for the limited production of the rifles. The rifles were produces in a couple of different calibers. All were standard calibers not Ackley Improved. I happened accross on of the rifles. I was actually after the action for a custom build. When I saw the EMDEKO P.O.Ackley on the barrel I did some research and got this information. I decided that it was a cool piece of history so I did not canabalize the gun. Instead I polished it up and held on to it. I did a Google search trying to find one of these scopes to put on it and complete it. This thread is what Google took me to. Even if I can't talk Nozzlehead out of it I found a great website!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #6

gcrosson01, see if nozzlehead wants to sell the scope, because i thnk he said in his post he had other plans for the rifle and the rifle was a remington.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #7

Thanks axxe55! I have sent him a pm on it. If we work something out I will post pix of it! Actually I'll post pix regardless. It is an interesting piece with an interesting history.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrosson01 View Post
Thanks axxe55! I have sent him a pm on it. If we work something out I will post pix of it! Actually I'll post pix regardless. It is an interesting piece with an interesting history.
yes i'd like to see it. i have read a little about P.O. Ackley, and some of his work with firearms and cartridges, he was a man ahead of his time and talented when it came to firearms.