Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Unertl Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Unertl Information

When I was unable to locate the Unertl website a couple of days ago, my Google search took me to a forum where I located several posts dealing with these excellent scopes and a couple of them made reference to the current prices of some models selling for upwards of $2000.

I obtained one when I purchase several rifles and reloading equipment at an estate sale back in the early to mid 80's. At the time it was attached to a Rem 40-X which dated back to 1962. This scope is a 16X with a 2" front aperture and measures over 24 in. in length. The only markings that were readily visable were the numbers 54212.

I was well aware of the quality of these sights and this one will hold a zero as good or better than any conventional scope. Does anyone know if the company is still in business and whether these claims of 4 figure price tags are real or just hot air? Thanks

fprefect

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

$$$$ depends on the scope.

Unertl Optical Company, Inc.: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #3

The price figures are correct. They are located in Las Vegas, Nevada

Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I don't think they are making scopes anymore. I know the one we had was old as dirt. It shot like a dream it was on a custom 243 on a FN mauser action My brother got it shooting in the .2" range for 5 shots at 100 yards. It had a 2" dia barrel and looked very intimidating coming out of the truck. It brought many a onlookers when it came out.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #5

Default Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
The price figures are correct. They are located in Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm probably overlooking something simple, but what prices are you referring to?

fprefect

Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #6

Default Unertl scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I don't think they are making scopes anymore. I know the one we had was old as dirt. It shot like a dream it was on a custom 243 on a FN mauser action My brother got it shooting in the .2" range for 5 shots at 100 yards. It had a 2" dia barrel and looked very intimidating coming out of the truck. It brought many a onlookers when it came out.
When I acquired mine it was attached to a Rem 40-X chambered in 22-250 and although I had seen pictures of them in the past I was completely unaware as to what all those springs were supposed to do and when I finally got a closer look my first reaction to the "moving" scope was this has to be the craziest idea in the World. How wrong I was. It holds a zero as good or better than any scope I had ever used and the "clicks" were extremely precise.

The only reason I removed it from the 40-X was when I had it re-barreled and chambered for the 22 PPC I much preferred the very fine reticles to the 1/2" dot that was on the Unertl.

It's interesting you mention the 243 as it was the cartridge that some 25 years and many dollars ago, that got me hooked on accuracy and benchrest shooting. But I wouldn't trade the ongoing "journey" for anything. Thanks for the reply and information. Much appreciated.

fprefect