Turrent Problem with Bushnell
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Turrent Problem with Bushnell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Turrent Problem with Bushnell

I'd like a little input on a problem I encountered today, if you fellas wouldnt mind helping me.
I baught a Bushnell Banner scope (6-24x40mm) a month or so ago from my local Bass Pro Shop. I baught new rings and mounted the scope with the correct amount of pressure. I mounted the scope on a WASR 10/63 7.26x39mm caliber rifle. I was target shooting with it for the first time today and after about 30 rounds of shooting, my left and right adjustment turret simply fell off as I lifted the gun off the bench to make a few adjustments.
Is this normal?
Will the scope still work accurately under recoil of a .308 Win or a 7.62x51 NATO rifle?
How exactly does this affect my scope and should I send it in for repair?
I'd appreciate any information and recommendations you can give me about this situation.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9425 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Why, yes, that is perfectly normal. These scopes are only intended to last for 20 rounds of ammo.

OK, now that I have given in to urge to stick my tongue in my cheek, no, of course it is not normal. Altho one DOES wonder what the hell you are doing with a varmint scope on a 7.62x39 firearm- I mean, yes, you CAN put mag wheels on a moped, but......

Anyway, you probably have a set screw- little TINY assed allen screw- that holds some parts of your turrets in place. Loose- or worked loose- fell out, stuff falls off. Um..... you DID read the instructions, right?

While these are not "mortgage-the-house-to-buy-one" expensive, neither are they disposable. Read thru the manual that came with your scope, see if there is a simple step you overlooked- if not, send it back for repair. Good luck- I know it is disheartening to have something new that does not work like it should.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I think C3 has you on the right track. I would ask that you post some pictures for me to look at.

Many scopes have turrets that you unscrew and reposition back to zero so you can make adjustments and still go right back to zero.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Why, yes, that is perfectly normal. These scopes are only intended to last for 20 rounds of ammo.

OK, now that I have given in to urge to stick my tongue in my cheek, no, of course it is not normal. Altho one DOES wonder what the hell you are doing with a varmint scope on a 7.62x39 firearm- I mean, yes, you CAN put mag wheels on a moped, but......

Anyway, you probably have a set screw- little TINY assed allen screw- that holds some parts of your turrets in place. Loose- or worked loose- fell out, stuff falls off. Um..... you DID read the instructions, right?

While these are not "mortgage-the-house-to-buy-one" expensive, neither are they disposable. Read thru the manual that came with your scope, see if there is a simple step you overlooked- if not, send it back for repair. Good luck- I know it is disheartening to have something new that does not work like it should.
Aw come on C3 dont take me for a complete fool. I'll admit I had a man moment and didnt read the instruction manual. (real men dont need instruction manuals was my thought when I put it away ) I'll have to dig it out of my cabinet and read it to see if it helps.

As for a varmint scope on AK, that's because of my vision. What you guys see as normal at 100 yards is a lot smaller to me so I need a higher power on my scopes than most 20/20 vision people do. I was told by one of the people I talked to on the phone at Bushnell that all the scopes were tested on a 375 H&H so i would assume it wouldnt fall apart so easily.

I havent really messed with the scope much since I got back from the range on Sunday but I did manage to get the Turret screwed back onto the scope but that's about all I've done.
I remember reading an artical in the a gun magazine saying that fixed magnifications are stronger than variable ones, do you guys think the author was right?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
I remember reading an artical in the a gun magazine saying that fixed magnifications are stronger than variable ones, do you guys think the author was right?
Yes they are a lot stronger. There is no moving parts in the fixed power scope like a variable. To change power you have to move lenses and what not if things move thing can get broke.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9425 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Agree. All other things being equal, fixed power scopes are also usually brighter. Hoever, as far as recoil, the 7.62 x 39 is a very light recoil centerfire- I do not think that recoil is your issue- although that is a physically large scope. Advantage of a variable, of course, is in the field of view- for deer hunting, 200 yds, 24 power, now play "where the BLEEP is that deer?", because you are zoomed in so tight. But back it off, field of view is much bigger- Oh! There he is! But a 24 power FIXED scope- ummmmm- good luck with that.

I can't help but feel you have a loose adjustment screw on your turrets. Having a scope self-disassemble while shooting IS rather disheartening, but snugged down, should stay in place.

As far as directions- Know why it takes 500,000 sperm to fertilize one egg? Being male, they will not stop to ask for directions..........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only reason I asked about the fixed power was because I figure if I plan on doing long distance shooting at some point or another I can probably get a higher power in a fixed than in a variable.
I read the instructions on the scope but it didnt do me much good other than to tell me what C3 brought to my attention. I'll have to try and snug everythng down and see how it holds up on a .308 BAR I'm borrowing from my grandparents.