Trijicon TA33G-H ACOG
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Trijicon TA33G-H ACOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Trijicon TA33G-H ACOG

I've been looking at this optic for a few days and wonder if anyone here has an exp with it. It's a 3x30 ACOG with the green horseshoe reticle. I'm looking for a short range optic, point blank to 300 yards for 5.56. I need it light and compact.

How well does the green show up in really bright light? How well does it show up in complete darkness? Is the green better/faster than the red or amber?

I've heard these ACOGs are great at distance, but I'm not sure about close in use. How does it perform in the 50 yards and under range?

I've looked at red dots such as the Comp M4, but I'm concerned with target identification/observation. Any thoughts or other options that would work better would be welcomed. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5505 Times on 2873 Posts
Likes Given: 357

ive got a ta31f-g green chevron. its very very visible in daylight assuming the one your looking at uses the fiber optic. the coolest thing is it selfadjusts automaticaly for visible light conditions. once you zero it you never have to touch it again. no batteries no mucking with rheostat dials.

my preference is green over red its easier to pick up under any lighting conditions especially dusk and dawn where red has the most issues with being seen

i shoot mine both eyes open and it does just fine zero to however far you care to target. if your not used to shooting with two eyes open its going to take practice doesnt matter if its a rds or acog, learning curve for both

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #3

Thanks Jon! Yeah, it's the fiber optic one. I'm concerned about brightness though. I want it really bright bc my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Also, as a non LEO/MIL I would prob only be firing inside maybe 100 yards. I don't want to give up quickness at the short distances, but I need the medium range target identification/observation up to around 300 yards. I know it's not as quick as a Comp M4 inside 100 yards, but is it quick enough for a serious SD situation?

I'm really torn bc these things aren't cheap and I can only afford one new optic at the moment. I've also seen the Accupoint, but I'm not sure if it's fast enough for close range work and I'm concerned about the size and weight.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

At less than 100 your target is going to totally fill the scope. Brightness isnt an issue some folks think its too bright but im not one of em.

I dont know how much rifle shooting you do but on human sized targets its fast enough. Your not going to see many used in 3gun comps most of those guys use 1-4 and 1-6 scopes. At fairly close ranges im not using optics or sights much mainly just point and shoot.

Ive taken up cowboy action shooting and its been helping a lot with quick shooting even though its lever gun and single action revolver shooting is shooting.

Its a proven cqb optic in use by our troops.

Im not trying to convince you to get one just cuz its my goto optic.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-19-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Oh one other thing. Gander mountain and cabelas both stock acogs might take a peek at ome in person. If your anywhere close to se wisconsin your welcome to try my setup out

Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the kind offer Jon, I'm just a little too far away, Florida. Most of the dealers around me only stock the RMR and the Tri-Power. I train with the Sheriff's SWAT team on occasion, maybe I should give them a quick call this weekend. Most of them have EoTechs, so unless someone got something new I'm out of luck. Any additional info, no matter how small, would be appreciated. I might just have "to take the plunge" without seeing it in person.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I dont think you will be sorry at all. I love mine and was a fence sitter for years

The tri power will have the same sort of glow system if you leave tbe battery off as the acog. The accupoint does too.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The ACOG was designed and manufactured for the exact conditions you've described - CQB out to medium-range distances of several hundred meters.

Among the ACOG owners' community you will find disagreement on which reticle (triangle, crosshair, chevron, horseshoe) and colors are best under given conditions, but I've never heard anyone voice regret about their purchasing one.

I think you'll find the brightness more than adequate. The brighter the outside light, the more light the fiber optic strands transmit to the reticle. I've seen some folks even cover some of the length of fiber optic strand with electrical tape to "tone down" the brightness of the reticle.

Crystal clear lens and a very robust body. It should last through just about whatever you put it through, and "Made in the USA" to boot.

I think you'll be very pleased with it.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

Thanks guys, it looks like I won't be going out to dinner for a while! Any thoughts on the best place to order it if my LGS can't get it?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't do a thorough internet search, but I did find a pretty good price on your scope at LaRue Tactical, and it includes their LT105 QD mount...seems like a pretty good price to me at $1,023.

http://www.laruetactical.com/trijicon-acog-3x30-ta33g-h-green-horseshoe-ballistic-reticle-and-lt105-qd-mount

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation