Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Torque pressure in scope mounting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/torque-pressure-scope-mounting-24833/)

lonyaeger 03-18-2010 06:29 PM

Torque pressure in scope mounting

Can anyone tell me how many pounds of torque pressure you use to tighten:

(a) mount or base screws when mounting to the barrel, to avoid stripping
the threads.
(b) ring screws themselves, to avoid damaging the scope.

Thanks for your help.

stalkingbear 03-18-2010 06:39 PM

Start off with 35 INCH POUNDS, and go from there. Wheeler engineering (midway) makes the excellent "FAT Wrench" that's in inch pounds. Depending on what the screw is used for and if it's going into aluminum or steel. I'd recommend you check with the manufacturer to be on the safe side. Some manufacturers will recommend higher than others. Don't forget to degrease & put loc-tite on your base screws. Hope this helps a lil.

lonyaeger 03-18-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 251700)
Start off with 35 INCH POUNDS, and go from there. Wheeler engineering (midway) makes the excellent "FAT Wrench" that's in inch pounds. Depending on what the screw is used for and if it's going into aluminum or steel. I'd recommend you check with the manufacturer to be on the safe side. Some manufacturers will recommend higher than others. Don't forget to degrease & put loc-tite on your base screws. Hope this helps a lil.

As always, thanks Bear. :)

cpttango30 03-18-2010 11:23 PM

If you don't have a torque wrench here is what I do.

I take all screws in the ring down till they just stop and are not torqued at all. Then I systematically I tighten the screws down while holding the screw driver with just two finger my thumb and index fingers are all I use. I go till I can't tighten them anymore with this method and I have never put any ring marks in a scope and none of them move on me at all.

lonyaeger 03-19-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 251916)
If you don't have a torque wrench here is what I do.

I take all screws in the ring down till they just stop and are not torqued at all. Then I systematically I tighten the screws down while holding the screw driver with just two finger my thumb and index fingers are all I use. I go till I can't tighten them anymore with this method and I have never put any ring marks in a scope and none of them move on me at all.

Thanks, I've always done the same, but I keep reading these horror stories about cinching down the scope so much you damage the tube. So I got a cheap torque driver on Amazon, but not sure how much torque to give and still be safe.

canebrake 03-19-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 251946)
Thanks, I've always done the same, but I keep reading these horror stories about cinching down the scope so much you damage the tube. So I got a cheap torque driver on Amazon, but not sure how much torque to give and still be safe.

Make sure it's an inch/pound wrench.

Bear, was your 35 in/lbs for the scope base?

I think the ring max is typically 25 in/lbs.

With the use of any Anaerobic to lock threads on firearms, (Loctite), if you ever want to take the screws back out, use blue. Red is permanent, blue is semi-permanent.

lonyaeger 03-19-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 252005)
Make sure it's an inch/pound wrench.

Bear, was your 35 in/lbs for the scope base?

I think the ring max is typically 25 in/lbs.

With the use of any Anaerobic to lock threads on firearms, (Loctite), if you ever want to take the screws back out, use blue. Red is permanent, blue is semi-permanent.

It is an inch/pound driver. I put the base in at 38. The rings I tightened up to 30, which made me flinch a little, so I think I'll back them out to 25, like you said.

Got the Loctite color thing....thanks all.