thoughts on counter sniper scope??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > thoughts on counter sniper scope??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default thoughts on counter sniper scope??

Does anyone have this scope? I am thinking about putting it on my .308 and looking for advice. Do you have any other suggestions?
Thank you!!!

CounterSniper Optics® 4X-16X 50mm Aircraft Aluminum Crusader Gunsight

Counter Sniper Optics [Online Catalog - 4/16-50 Weapon Mountable Optical Gunsights]

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Dam man how many knobs and dials do you need on a scope? I am suprised it doesn't come with some sort of intagraded rail system as well that would make is sweet so you could mount a HALO sight for the close in shots.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #3

I am not sure how a scope can be made specific for "counter sniper" use. As Tango mentioned, all the dials and knobs can't account for basics of long range work.

I am attached to the scout/ sniper section of my infantry unit and the snipers do a whole lot more with reading wind, elevation and adjusting for distance and windage through calculation (literally, with a calculator) than they do turning widgets on the optics. I am an infantry scout and the sniper section does overwatch and security for us all the time. I never see them make more than a few adjustments before taking a shot. There is a lot more prep time prior to squeezing the trigger than most people realize.

In a military application, "counter sniper" work is no different than regular sniper work at a given range. In a police application, the average shot is under 80 yards so accounting for variables in the wind and plotting trajectory is really a moot point.

I think the glamorization of snipers in the past few years has really boosted the market for do-dads and turny things on scopes. Those things will not make or break the shot. Find a scope with good glass and easily adjusted turrets, and learn how to range targets and read wind and you'll be ahead of the game.

I never saw the glamour of laying still for hours or days on end, getting eaten alive by bugs and doing my "bussiness" in a bag. Guess I am just not hard anymore...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 08-18-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

I think counter sniper is the make of the scope, not the type of scope it is. But nonetheless, I don't see a need for so many knobs.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #5

I was simply trying to bring to light the marketing strategy behind some of the products directed at riding out the sniper hype.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't know, they seem like a good scope based on the promo video.

American made body

German Glass

2 stage adjustable illuminated reticle ( red/green )

1/4" or 1/8" click adjustments

30mm body

Close to 70 MOA of adjustments

It has all the makings of a good scope, the question is, how much light are you getting through it? Without holding one and seeing for myself, I would be hesitant to recommend them.....

JD

Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I was simply trying to bring to light the marketing strategy behind some of the products directed at riding out the sniper hype.
And you did, well put.

OP, make sure you take the time and search on these scopes, I have not heard good things about them in general.....

I did look at some of their brochures once and the amount of mumbo jumbo they had in it was a bit over the top.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

If you would like to take a look at more than just scopes, and they do have those as well, go to APELGEAR.com - Protective Equipment for Those Who Serve, and check out the optics and spotting scopes that they offer. I know from experience as an SDM in Iraq, that having a spotter helps, but is not always necessary in every situation. I get most of my gear from this store, as it is from an active duty soldier. We support our own.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #9

From what I have read and heard about them they are junk. There are much better optics out there. If you are looking for a budget optic look at the Super Sniper optics that riflescopes.com makes. It’s another cheesy name but the optic really performs. I would just do a search and try and find a used Nightforce.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #10

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I see four knobs. One too many in my book. You should have windage, elevation, and possibly parallax adjustment knob. For a max possible total of three knobs. I'm guessing that the foruth knob is for your illuminated reticle intensity and on/off. If this is what the foruth knob is for, IMO thats a bit cheesy. I dont see the need for an illuminated reticle. I have an illuminated reticle feature in my longe range scope and it's built into the parallax knob, which I removed the battery. I dont ever see the need using the illuminated feature in my scope but thats the only way it came.

Illuminated reticles are only good for twilight situations and illuminate the cross hairs a bit only. It does'nt illuminate anything else.