Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > these eyes have it ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My eyes started goin' south at about 48 years of age. I only need reading glasses as at last years eye exam the eye doc told me that I still had 20/15 vision. The only problem I have is anything at 18" or less distance to my mug and it's all blurry. Anything past that in distance, I can still see real good.

Another thing that I noticed with my vision is driving a night. Everything seems darker. Road markers, lane stripes, and the smaller road signs seem not as bright as they did a few years ago. This decrease in vision at night while driving is sometimes nerve wracking to me.

When it comes to shooting, the lack of close vision, has made it somewhat more difficult to get a clear picture of target using iron sights.

What I get now with the peep sights on the rifles that have them is a blurry aperature, clear post, and a clear target, however, with a grey hue over the area of the target that I'm aiming at. Very frustrating. I've been told that using a smaller aperature in the peep sight will help this but I havn't tried it yet.

With a scope all is well for me except for when I have the magnification cranked up around 18 to 20 power and the excess light smacking my pupil fatigues that eye fairly quickly. I use a pair of Wiley-X shooting glasses now with tinted lenses that reduce the light by about 80% or so and this has cured the problem of eye fatigue for me while using a scope.