Is there a red dot sight/scope thats good for long range and close quarter shooting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Is there a red dot sight/scope thats good for long range and close quarter shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Is there a red dot sight/scope thats good for long range and close quarter shooting?

I just got a Ruger Mini 14 and I would like to get a sighting system that can function like a red dot sight for quick close quarter shooting, but can also be zoomed in for long distance shots. What would you recommend?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 3148 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore301 View Post
I just got a Ruger Mini 14 and I would like to get a sighting system that can function like a red dot sight for quick close quarter shooting, but can also be zoomed in for long distance shots. What would you recommend?
i had a millet dms-1 on my mini at first. it does exactly what you are talking about. it is a 1-4 with an illuminated dot, basically a magnified red dot.

i ended up getting rid of it though. don't get me wrong, it was a good scope and did what it was supposed to. but i had a few issues with it. first, i thought it was way too big for the mini 14. then, i later wanted more magnification than X4.

in the end, i went with a traditional scope on QD rings for my mini. i also have a red dot separately.

i wish there was something out there like the dms, but at about half the size and weight. if anyone has any ideas...i also would love to hear them.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore301 View Post
Quick answer -----There ain't one
Whats good for CQC won't do for long range accuracy -
Long range glass not good for CQC-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #4

Liked 3148 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
well, i do think the millet dms-1(1X4) is exactly what he is talking about. but a 4X magnification isn't exactly "long range." at 1X it was a decent red dot & 4X a decent scope, just not super good at either imo. but for $200...in comparison....there is nothing else like it out there (that i found anyway). it worked pretty well, i just changed my mind about what i wanted.

anyway, i would give the millet dms a look, it sounds right for what you are looking for.

the only other thing i can think of is an eotech with a magnifier. and that little combo will cost you more than your mini.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6619 Times on 3687 Posts
Likes Given: 6288

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Quick answer, and the right answer. The Aimpoint Comp ML3 is as close as you'll get..
Carnivore301 Likes This 
Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for help! On another site somebody also recommended a sight made by Bushnell called the "zoom dot", so it looks like Ill be researching that and the Millet DMS and chose one of them. You just made my search alot easier!