Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Is there a red dot sight/scope thats good for long range and close quarter shooting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/there-red-dot-sight-scope-thats-good-long-range-close-quarter-shooting-66062/)

Carnivore301 06-08-2012 06:37 PM

Is there a red dot sight/scope thats good for long range and close quarter shooting?

I just got a Ruger Mini 14 and I would like to get a sighting system that can function like a red dot sight for quick close quarter shooting, but can also be zoomed in for long distance shots. What would you recommend?

hawkguy 06-08-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnivore301 (Post 829472)
I just got a Ruger Mini 14 and I would like to get a sighting system that can function like a red dot sight for quick close quarter shooting, but can also be zoomed in for long distance shots. What would you recommend?

i had a millet dms-1 on my mini at first. it does exactly what you are talking about. it is a 1-4 with an illuminated dot, basically a magnified red dot.

i ended up getting rid of it though. don't get me wrong, it was a good scope and did what it was supposed to. but i had a few issues with it. first, i thought it was way too big for the mini 14. then, i later wanted more magnification than X4.

in the end, i went with a traditional scope on QD rings for my mini. i also have a red dot separately.

i wish there was something out there like the dms, but at about half the size and weight. if anyone has any ideas...i also would love to hear them.

HOSSFLY 06-09-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnivore301 (Post 829472)

Quick answer -----There ain't one :(
Whats good for CQC won't do for long range accuracy -
Long range glass not good for CQC-

hawkguy 06-09-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 829865)

well, i do think the millet dms-1(1X4) is exactly what he is talking about. but a 4X magnification isn't exactly "long range." at 1X it was a decent red dot & 4X a decent scope, just not super good at either imo. but for $200...in comparison....there is nothing else like it out there (that i found anyway). it worked pretty well, i just changed my mind about what i wanted.

anyway, i would give the millet dms a look, it sounds right for what you are looking for.

the only other thing i can think of is an eotech with a magnifier. and that little combo will cost you more than your mini.

locutus 06-09-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 829865)

Quick answer, and the right answer.:p The Aimpoint Comp ML3 is as close as you'll get..

Carnivore301 06-09-2012 10:59 PM

Thanks for help! On another site somebody also recommended a sight made by Bushnell called the "zoom dot", so it looks like Ill be researching that and the Millet DMS and chose one of them. You just made my search alot easier!