: Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42mm Rifle Scope Mil Dot Reticle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > : Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42mm Rifle Scope Mil Dot Reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2403 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Default : Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42mm Rifle Scope Mil Dot Reticle

Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42mm Rifle Scope Mil Dot Reticle

Here's a link: http://amzn.com/B000GEY6L4

Anybody have any experience with this optic? Not armchair or internet experience. But actual you shooting it type experience?

I literally do not have a penny more to spend, nor is waiting and saving up an option at this time. I'm mounting this scope on a RRA Entry Tactical to finish out deer season.

I have no other option other than an optic in this price range.

My iron sights are zeroed for the ammo we use at work and I'm not messing with that zero right now because we're short on ammo so I won't be able to fix it if I screw it up. I have a red dot but its also zeroed for work ammo.

I was using a fairly nice scope I pulled off my Dads SKS for this year when the SKS started having problems on sight in day. So I popped it on my AR and snagged some Barnes VOR-TX. No problems at the range. No problems at all. Till I got on the stand the other day and went to pop the cap off that protects the elevation screw more out of boredom than anything else.

I realized then that something bad had happened. The metal cap was badly cross threaded. Not by me, one of my brothers put the caps on at the end of sight in day while I was working on zeroing somebody else's setup. Anyway I ended up at home trying to work the cap off the threads with a pair of pliers and some WD40 when the whole elevation assembly ended up coming off in my hand.

So anybody got a better idea than this optic? I'm open to any suggestions that involve a scope and this price range.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Please don't use this type of Scope on a Deer Rifle. The FOV(field of view) will Handicap you at these powers. These Powere are for Target where you have time to pull Trigger and don't worry about your Surroundings.
Don't know the pricing at this time, look at nothing more than a 4-12 Power Scope for a Deer Rifle type Scope. I've got a Simmons 44MAG 4-12x44(new model with Red Ring round Elevation Knob) and the Glass is fabulous. It also has Side Focus that is precise/spot on. I got mine for around the $100 mark, but I've seen them cheaper. I consider this Model much superior to a Tasco for the cost.

Edit: Found one on Amazon for $107.68 that is just like I have. Again very good Scope for cost over a Tasco. They do have one cheaper, but it's a 3-9 model, without the Parallax Yardage Knob(Side Focus/AO)

Anything cheaper, run to Walmart and pickup a Center Point 4-16x40 for $79. Or get the 3-9x30 for $59.
Del

Last edited by Triumphman; 10-28-2013 at 05:17 PM.
artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the info I'll check it out. I was planning on getting some leupold see through scope rings and I do trust my iron sights zero at under 100 yards with this ammo. I'd assume 6x would give a wide enough FOV past 100? I was hoping to use the 24X to practice long range and shoot turtles at Dads (dang varmints eat all of our fish.)

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-28-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

Liked 223 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Delta F, I also would suggest the lower power / larger field of view. My daughter bought me a new Bushnell 4-9 X40 for around $140.00 at the Sportsmans' warehouse.
The results are very good as Clear vision, plenty of light, good reticle, ( mine has a reticle that can be lit either red, green, or not lit.)

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Last edited by artbrownsr; 10-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't truly hunted with mine unless you count gophers, but I have shot with it a good bit. It's paired with my Remington 770 (.243) and it hasn't shown any signs of failure after two-hundred rounds or so. It's also held true to the zero as well, I figured if it was going to give me issues, it would have started to show after firing some heavier 100gr pills. The miIl-dots are great as well, I was able to ruin a gophers day from 347yds away by using them as a reference point. I haven't actually worked out the drop with them properly yet though, but I know at 18x I've got to use the second or third dot.....pretty sure it was the third dot.

The adjustments have been pretty good too. I haven't had to use them at the farthest points yet so I'm not sure if they'll stick to 1/4" clicks or not, but in the mid range, they do. The focus is pretty spot on too. So as far as having it fail on you, I can't see it doing so. But I'm also assuming that your AR is chambered for .223/5.56.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #6

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Thanks for the info I'll check it out. I was planning on getting some leupold see through scope rings and I do trust my iron sights zero at under 100 yards with this ammo. I'd assume 6x would give a wide enough FOV past 100? I was hoping to use the 24X to practice long range and shoot turtles at Dads (dang varmints eat all of our fish.)
For my Deer Rifles, I use 3-9 type Scopes because on the 3x it gives a good FOV for for close shots. What I use the 9x for, is to help me see the Target better when Zeroing in the Rifle. Also in my Region, if hunting, and you see a Buck, We have what is called a 4-Point Rule. Buck MUST HAVE 4 Tines(Points) on at least 1 Antler before shooting--if not you're ILLEGAL.

When you see Guys with Hi-Powered Scopes on Rifles, they're either hunting Prarie Dogs, Antelope(Desert Rockets), Big Horn Sheep and a few other Game from distances of up to 500yds. If hunting closer than 250yds, a Person doesn't need anything over 16x. This way the Powers on low end are either 3 or 4 which gives best FOV and what I always keep my Scopes on unless I need to count Tines and then I power up to the High Power, to make sure it's Legal, then immediately power it back down for the killing shot.

For my 17HMR or 22LR or 22Mag Squirrel Rifles, I have mostly 3-12 or 4-16 Power Scopes on them, and keep the power up higher to give me those precise Head Shots and to see them amongst the Tree Limbs/Leaves at a distance.
You'd be surprised when killing Snappers in a Pond, how well a 12 or 16 max power Scope will give you.
Del
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Visited my local Academny sports and outdoors store yesterday. Handled and viewed thru eight or so of the inexpensive scopes on display. One, I'm fairly sure was the TASCO you've asked about. Some of the others were Bushnell Banner, Weaver Kaspa, BSA Sweet, Vortex Crossfire. I viewed at a sign in store about 40 yds from me with the scopes. As I recall, while the optics in the Tasco were not bad, thought the other brands had better optics. Own a fair number of low priced scopes myself, most are 18X or higher. I just shoot paper at range I'm a member, so prefer a scope that I can easily see the bullet holes in a 100 yd target. Thought the Tasco would be decent enough for my kind of shooting. How reliable are the windage/elevation adjustments? Have no idea. How long will scope last? Have no idea, other than commenting I shoot a fair number of rounds with my low priced scoped rifles. Had only one that would not hold zero and its company replaced it with a new one that has been problem free for me.

Another scope I'd recommend that's in same price range. Simmons Pro Hunter 6-18x40 SF. Own maybe four of these kinds of Simmons scopes. All are on centerfire rifles. Bought them from www.natchezss.com Mind you, when Bushnell acquired Simmons from Meade they discontinued most of the Pro Hunter models. So, the one I've suggested is a discontinued model, why price is low. Nice glass in mine, turrets work well, as does its side focus parallax. Oh yea, beaware Natchez will charge you around $14 for shipping and if you live adjoining Tennessee, might not be able to buy from Natchez.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How about the bushnell banner dusk till dawn with the cf500 reticle?

Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 Illuminated CF500 Reticle Matte Black Riflescope, Clam Pack 713946C
http://amzn.com/B004NK8SFC

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1846 Times on 1264 Posts
Likes Given: 673

I have a simmons eight point 4x 32mm fixed power scope I mounted on my shotgun to finish hunting season last year. I now have it on my 22 wmr. It is well within your budget and it works as good as any scope for hunting and plinking. The only thing I don't like about it is the adjustment dials have no mark to indicate zero. It has a decent field of view and it gathers light quite well. For the price it's not a bad scope to have around for situations like you are facing right now.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I have a simmons eight point 4x 32mm fixed power scope I mounted on my shotgun to finish hunting season last year. I now have it on my 22 wmr. It is well within your budget and it works as good as any scope for hunting and plinking. The only thing I don't like about it is the adjustment dials have no mark to indicate zero. It has a decent field of view and it gathers light quite well. For the price it's not a bad scope to have around for situations like you are facing right now.
Sold. I'll let y'all know if it works for me. Thanks for all the advice.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-31-2013 at 01:31 AM.