Tasco question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Tasco question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That is why I recommended a Weaver K4 or 6. Even new they are under $150.00. Again, used $75.00. Every time you get into variable power scope over a fixed, the price increases.
i agree on the older weavers i got an old k4 that i used to use on my 458 winmag took lots of deer with that scope. after nearly 20years it finally gave up the ghost due to the heavy recoil of some loads i used over the years.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyotrain View Post
Bushnell bought tasco and only keep the name so all the tooling is from bushnell. so a tasco scope is basically a bushnell?
They also bought Simmons and Millet. The old Simmons Whitetails were decent scopes. I have a Whitetail Expedition that has been trouble free. Because of that I bought another Simmons in 4-12 and it went bad. I sent it back just after the change over and they sent me a 4-14 Aetec which is their top of the line. It lasted less than 20 rounds on my 308 bolt. I dont know what Bushnell is doing with the lines but it is probably Chinese.
The Trophy has enjoyed a good reputation. I would not go below the Trophy unless it is for a rimfire.
$80 was spent for a Tasco when a Nikon Prostaff could be bought for the same or very little more. I would take a Nikon over a Tasco anyday.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #13

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Meade optics sold Simmons to Bushnell. Bushnell scopes are assembled in the Philippines w/ Japanese glass. Not sure about Simmons. The world of optics has been a mess for years. Pentax made some really great fixed power scopes, the Game seeker. They have now moved on to a Game seeker II variable line. I think it was a mistake to discontinue the fixed power scopes. I have a standard 4x32 Game seeker w/ a ballistic plex reticule on a M1600 6.5x55. Works like a charm from 100 to 300 yards. Japanese made and fully warranted, even if you drop and break it.
I look at the OP's situation as this, he wants good glass, he is on a budget, the scope is going on an old war horse. Well, The German built great scopes, 4x was the norm. I have a 4x Ajack, Zeiss Zielvier, Hendsolt Z24 and 600 yards is no problem. So a modern 4x or 6x should work out very well. As most of us know, cheap scopes especially variable powered ones have issues ranging from parallax, eye relief to focus as you raise the magnification. A fixed scope would help w/ these issues and w/ less moving parts will have less issues.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

jp; One of the nikon scopes at Cabelas is a 4x32 for $95. A 2-7x32 is the same price. Add something for $5 to the order and get a $20 discount. Possibly free shipping. What he paid for the Tasco. I remember when 4x32 was the norm for hunting scopes. I keep a 2.5x32 on my Ruger 10/22 and looking at the same on my AR. If I were doing some serious long range shooting, I would look hard at a 10x fixed with mil dot reticle.

Patron Member NRA
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #15

So what you're all saying is, the Tasco I have is definatly not a good idea.
Thing is with buying a PE or PU scope is the expense, even the reproduction models that they make now are 200 dollars or so, and most of those are out of stock or back ordered. a WWII era Zeiss I've heard runs for about 600 or so (So I've heard). I suppose I can look into some other different scopes, but for now since I'm broke, I have to stick with the Tasco. I was just wondering if I needed to upgrade to something better when I get the chance

Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #16

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

JT, A mildot is in part a range finding tool for a man sized target and w/ commercial turrets is pretty useless unless you already have a ballistics sheet made up for your rifle. OK, lets look at a 10x scope. At 300 yards, the target would appear how close in the scope? 30 yards. A 6x scope would be 50 yards. a 4x 75 yards. If a mildot is used as a BDC, it would take some practice and trial and error unless you have a spotter. For simplicity, a 200 yard zero w/ 180gr 7.62x54r would give you +2.4" at 100 yards and -12 at 300 yards, so using a hold over (POA on top of a 2' target) would put you dead center on that 2' target.
Lets look at the price of a Good mildot, The Super Sniper has a good reputation, it is $300.00+ for a 10x42
Standard reticule weaver K4, $124.00. K6, $150.00

A big bell on your scope does not always equate to a better scope. Also the higher the magnification, the higher the price tag.
It is really up to the OP, but I don't own a Mildot since it serves no true function for me w/ targets or hunting, just adds extra clutter. JMHO.

Edit, Here is a scope tuned for 7.62x54r. The range turret is set up for Meters, very simple to use.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/review/product/list/id/298/category/60/

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 12-06-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
JT, A mildot is in part a range finding tool for a man sized target and w/ commercial turrets is pretty useless unless you already have a ballistics sheet made up for your rifle. OK, lets look at a 10x scope. At 300 yards, the target would appear how close in the scope? 30 yards. A 6x scope would be 50 yards. a 4x 75 yards. If a mildot is used as a BDC, it would take some practice and trial and error unless you have a spotter. For simplicity, a 200 yard zero w/ 180gr 7.62x54r would give you +2.4" at 100 yards and -12 at 300 yards, so using a hold over (POA on top of a 2' target) would put you dead center on that 2' target.
Lets look at the price of a Good mildot, The Super Sniper has a good reputation, it is $300.00+ for a 10x42
Standard reticule weaver K4, $124.00. K6, $150.00

A big bell on your scope does not always equate to a better scope. Also the higher the magnification, the higher the price tag.
It is really up to the OP, but I don't own a Mildot since it serves no true function for me w/ targets or hunting, just adds extra clutter. JMHO.

Edit, Here is a scope tuned for 7.62x54r. The range turret is set up for Meters, very simple to use.
POSP 6x42 D VariPOSP w/ Black Finish, Five Setting Adjustable Illuminated Reticle, Independent Focus, 1000 Meter Rangefinder Rifle Scope, Weaver Version
I am familiar with the mil dots. I said long range. 600-1000 yds not 300 yds. Thats why I like the 1.5-4 or 6x on a hunting rifle. I would rather have the low end for close work. The last deer I shot was only 10 yards away. The last elk was about 75 yds down hill. Effective range for bullet drop was 40 yds. A 2.5x like I have on my 10/22 would have worked fine. The scope was set on 3x. It would of course depend on the terrain and the game. I usually hunted in woods. Open plains would be a different ball game.

Patron Member NRA

Old 12-12-2010, 03:54 AM   #18

Alright, I'm back after a week absent. I just returned today from the gun show and I purchased a BSA x24 power illuminated mildot scope. I noticed the difference in clarity off the bat in comparison to the Tasco I purchased. Both were the same price (The BSA I bought used for 80, Tasco bought used for for 79 :P) This is about my speed, though again, optics werent really my thing until I decided it was nessecary for my to shoot 600 yards. How does the BSA Platinum strike you guys?

Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.