Tasco question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Tasco question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tasco question

I have a question.
Recently, I took my beloved Mosin out to Knob Creek for a day of shooting In miserable miserable weather, ice, sleet, snow Rifle was right at home, shooter not so much :P.
I set my target to 300 yards and had at it, but soon I ran into the problem that I wasnt quite comfortable with the x12 power AIM Sports scope I had originally placed on my weapon.
So, I went into the shop, traded my rings and $80.00 in cash and bought a Tasco Varminter x6-24 power scope wth Duplex crosshair arrangement. I played a little bit with it at the range before packing up and heading home.
I dont have very much experience with optics, I know the basics as far as brand names go, and I've heard Tasco is pretty el-cheapo when it comes to scopes. I was just wondering if I've made a decent buy, or if I should invest into a Barska or a Bushnell.
Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Tasco can be a good scope, but usually not. Barska is junk. W/ the Bushnell at least you get some sort of quality depending on model. You might find a low powered scope easier to use. The original Soviet scopes were 3.5x for the PU and 4x for the PE. German scopes were mostly 4x. 300 yards on targets or steel really does not require high magnification. An old Weaver K4 or K6 would be a great match. I see them in a local shop used for under $75.00 quite frequently. It is better glass then the ones you mentioned.
I've shot my 91/30PU at 400 yards w/ the 3.5x scope. Very accurate.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

The problem I run into, is that I am on a budget. I cant afford things like Nightforce, Leopold or Ospreys right now. So I am forced, at least for now, to look in the "bargain bin" when I go to buy my firearms parts. Even if I had the money for a Nightforce or a scope of that nature, I wouldnt put it on a Mosin, I've dropped as much money as I plan to into that weapon. Dont get me wrong, Mosin is a decent weapon, but I dont forsee me spending 1500 on a scope to plant on a 75.00 rifle.
Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #4

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I fooled with a few Tascos years ago and IMHO unless things have changed the only one worth having is the world class but thats getting a tad pricey. Get a Bushnell.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

There are some really good deals on decent scopes right now. Nikon Prostaff and Bushnell Trophy. I agree with jp on power. On a hunting rifle I like 1.5-6 or 2-7. A 3-9 would be my max. A lot depends on the type of terrain and game you will be hunting. Target and Varmint 3-12 or 4-16. There is a previous thread on cheap optics and there were some good finds. You will end up buying 3 cheap scopes for more than a decnt one.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Action View Post
The problem I run into, is that I am on a budget. I cant afford things like Nightforce, Leopold or Ospreys right now. So I am forced, at least for now, to look in the "bargain bin" when I go to buy my firearms parts. Even if I had the money for a Nightforce or a scope of that nature, I wouldnt put it on a Mosin, I've dropped as much money as I plan to into that weapon. Dont get me wrong, Mosin is a decent weapon, but I dont forsee me spending 1500 on a scope to plant on a 75.00 rifle.
That is why I recommended a Weaver K4 or 6. Even new they are under $150.00. Again, used $75.00. Every time you get into variable power scope over a fixed, the price increases.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Cabela's: Nikon Pro Staff Riflescope
$20 off on orders of $100 and/or free shipping on $99+. Go to the home page for promotions.

Last edited by JTJ; 12-05-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A few years back I was given a 870 cantilever barrel to indefinately "test" for a friend that made them. It was bead blasted and never finished/blued or even labeled. I believe it was called a Predator with a muzzle break. My friends and father quickly nicknamed the barrel "Killer!" Not that it was deadly accurate, it KILLED scopes. After several T and K Weavers, Pentax, Tasco World Class, Bushnell Dusk to Dawns, Trophies and prolly a few cheapies I threw on mid season the Bushnell Trophy 1.75 to 4.5 seemed to hold up the best. My father and good hunting friend both have the Trophies on their slug guns and have had no problems.

And yes I finally ran out of scopes and got rid of the barrel.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #9

Bushnell bought tasco and only keep the name so all the tooling is from bushnell. so a tasco scope is basically a bushnell?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Japanese Tasco=Decent.
Chinese Tasco=Crap.
Japanese Tasco=Out of business.
Chinese Tasco=Bought the name but not the quality.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."