Tapping on scope ?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Tapping on scope ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
How many times today are you going to throw out there that you shoot $3k scopes? I think I have seen it like 5 times. Really we don't care how much your scope cost.

Prove to me that tapping on a scope is good for it? Where is the test reports something?

ans just because he is a USMC Sniper doesn't mean crap really. Who died and made them god?
Hey! I only threw it out once today. The thing is a literal club and it weighs a ton for a scope. I did smack a couple of baseballs with it before I mounted it for the reasons I mentioned above. I have been drinking heavy today as business is bad, I just paid my business taxes from an extension last week(ouch), my quarterly was also due, and I just dumped my passive agressive/posseive biatch G.F. I got to find a new biatch now and I'm not totally young anymore and I have a hard time not being the total real life prick that I am.. I just made the post for a little levity for myself. Sorry if I come off as self centered *******, but for today, thats the way it is. I'll get back on track tomorrow or maybe the day after.

So apparently I've made ill trangressions here CP. Can you see it in your heart to forgive me? I'll try not to be such an arse in the future, however, I have no guarantees that it wont happen from time to time.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-26-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:

Prove to me that tapping on a scope is good for it? Where is the test reports something?

ans just because he is a USMC Sniper doesn't mean crap really. Who died and made them god?
I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch over this, Tango.

I can't prove or disprove anything.

But when my instructor tells me how they do it, and why, I listen. This came from a guy who has deployed multiple times to the sand box, came through Fallujah and Najaf unscathed, and teaches Marine Scout Snipers how to become Marine Scout Snipers. His opinion matters to me.

I watched him take a student's GA Precision 700 in .308 (that he had never fired) and fire a round at an 800 yard plate, cycle the action, and have the second round heading downrange before the first round impacted the plate (which it did). I could not do that with my M25, but he did it with a bolt action that he had never fired before.

So when it come down to practical long range rifle shooting, I do look upon the US Marine Corps Scout Snipers as "close to God". When they give me a friendly tip to improve my shooting, I write it down in my log book and use it to my advantage.

Nobody is telling you to do it this way, I merely answered a question about how I do it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

My panties are not in a wad.

I simply asked you to prove your statement.

Which you are refusing to do.

You can beat on your scopes all you want all it will get you is a busted or worthless $2k scope. While I will still be trucking right along with my cheap ass nikon. There is absolutely no reason to beat on a scope turrets. By you refusing to prove it you make my point for me thank you.

As far as hitting steel at distance been doing that since I was a kid. Oh I was using a stock M1 with open sights 40 year old ammo ans still hitting 24" plate at 600 yards. 7 out of 8 times.

Here put them where ever you want them. So you don't think I am all pissy.....

Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do it--I'm sure it's totally unecessary and probably counter productive, but I started that 40+ years ago and I'm anal and can't stop...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
My panties are not in a wad.

I simply asked you to prove your statement.

Which you are refusing to do.

You can beat on your scopes all you want all it will get you is a busted or worthless $2k scope. While I will still be trucking right along with my cheap ass nikon. There is absolutely no reason to beat on a scope turrets. By you refusing to prove it you make my point for me thank you.

As far as hitting steel at distance been doing that since I was a kid. Oh I was using a stock M1 with open sights 40 year old ammo ans still hitting 24" plate at 600 yards. 7 out of 8 times.

Here put them where ever you want them. So you don't think I am all pissy.....
Tango, how/why do you turn every discussion into a confrontation?

You seem to be threatened by the fact that MrM14 has a seriously world class scope on his seriously world class rifle, and that he mentions it from time to time. You seem to be threatened by the fact that I tap my scope turrets after making adjustments. And you seem to threatened by the fact that USMC Scout Snipers are some of the best long range shooters in the world. WTF?

And I have no idea what you mean by "Prove my statement". It was not a statement, it was me answering a question from a member and explaining why I do it that way. Why does that require proof?

Any scope that would be damaged by lightly tapping on it with an empty shell casing is a serious POS that I would never own. I'm not refusing to do anything.

And if you can take a rifle you have never fired and fire a shot at a 24" steel plate at 800 yards, THEN CYCLE THE BOLT AND GET OFF A SECOND SHOT BEFORE THE FIRST ONE HITS THE PLATE (with both of them hitting the plate) then I am in awe of your ability.

I have (humbly) been around some pretty high speed gun guys for most of my adult life and I have never seen anything like that. I don't even know of another shooter who could recover from the recoil and get the action cycled in that amount of time, let alone reacquire the target in the scope and send the second round downrange accurately before the first round impacted.

But that seems to be a common ability where you come from. I'm impressed.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #16

Default To get back on the subject:

Back in the day when scopes had a heavy crosshair holding ring (real crosshairs) and only a single leaf type spring to move that assembly around is when scope tapping was developed as a way to avoid taking several more shots to "settle the reticle". A total waste of time on a Schmidt, Kahles, Zeiss, Swaro, Unertls, Kollmorgens or Nightforce (own em' all and speak from experience). But on my old K series Weavers a firm rap with a small rubber hammer on the rings (not the scope for krist sakes!) speeds up zeroing.

Thats why for decades people who knew trusted scopes with external adjustments more. Even today a mint Bausch or Stith with Leupold Adjusto Mounts or Buehler Microdial mounts will outperform scopes costing much more (today). Back in the day they were very expensive scopes and still work great.

So tap your S&B if it makes you feel better, you won't hurt it at all, but it's not an urban myth as some "utes" might think.

50 year old scope on 60 year old rifle in a 90 year old worthless cartridge (according to the experts), but when the old bone stock 721 sends a 300 H&H slug down the way guided by a BalVar 5 in Leupold Adjusto mounts, the game drops over dead.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #17

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I didn't turn it into a confrontation.

I asked you to prove yourself. and you wont.

I could care less what you or anyone else has on their rifle. I know my skills and that is all I need to know.

Why are you so upset that I don't believe in beating on my scope? It seams to be your more upset than me.

I understand the reason for high end glass on high end rifle. If I had the funds to put $3k scopes on my $5k rifles then I would be doing that. I take offence to someone running around always bragging about there $3k scopes and calling them self a scope snob. You don't do that. I am also sure that you are one hell of a shot.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

ANYWAYS......

Back to the thread at hand. It would appear the answers are mixed R-Bolt.

Looks like you are in good company either way.

JD

Old 10-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #19

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I take offence to someone running around always bragging about there $3k scopes and calling them self a scope snob.
I took that comment as a self-deprecating remark, that he was kinda poking fun at himself with a nod and a wink with the scope snob comment while recognizing that some of his posts could come across as snobbish. I've never thought of the man to be taunting anyone with his higher-end equipment.

Just my take.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #20

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
ANYWAYS......

Back to the thread at hand. It would appear the answers are mixed R-Bolt.

Looks like you are in good company either way.

JD
Yes, it looks like about 50% pro and 50% con and even the pros admit that it might just be superstition...but they have the right to that. What the hell.