Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Tapping on scope ?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/tapping-scope-33528/)

R-BOLT 10-25-2010 09:48 PM

Tapping on scope ??

How many of you tap on your scope after making adjustments. I have heard of the old school method, but is it really neccesary with modern scopes?

Dillinger 10-25-2010 09:55 PM

Never once. Today's scopes are precision instruments, not the gas gauge from a 54 Ford. :eek:

Have you run the box test to see if your scope is adjusting/ranging accurately?

cpttango30 10-25-2010 10:45 PM

My dad does that crap. It drives me nuts.

It may help you with them cheap $50 scopes. But don't you start hitting my $500+ scopes with anything other than a soft cloth or I am going to bust you in the dam mouth.

R-BOLT 10-25-2010 11:13 PM

Was watching and spotting for a young man with a new .270 and 30-06 last Sunday at our range. He would tap his scope with a fresh round after every adjustment. I told him that was an old school process and with his new scopes (Nikon & Simmons) he probably did not need to be doing that. He was convinced though that is the thing to do. Just wanted to see what other thought. Thank You

mrm14 10-26-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 374354)
Never once. Today's scopes are precision instruments, not the gas gauge from a 54 Ford. :eek:

Have you run the box test to see if your scope is adjusting/ranging accurately?

Hell... My $3000.00 scope I can use it as a baseball bat with hardballs and I don't think it will have any effect on holding a zero.

Oooops. The scope snob coming out in me.:D

Dillinger 10-26-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 374445)
Hell... My $3000.00 scope I can use it as a baseball bat with hardballs and I don't think it will have any effect on holding a zero.

It's not a question of IF it's a question of WHY?? :confused:

mrm14 10-26-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 374446)
It's not a question of IF it's a question of WHY?? :confused:

Well JD my business is slow and I've been to the watering hole today and I'm a bit of an arse now. However that Premier Reticles scope I have on that goofey red target rifle weighs just under 3 lbs. and yes I did smack a couple of base balls off it before I mounted it to the red rifle thing. Why??? I don't know for sure, maybe the drink and some friends goading me on at the time I did it was the cause, but I think it's just because I'm mostly just an arse.

If I had destroyed it I would have just boought another one.

Dillinger 10-26-2010 12:48 AM

Well, then carry on sir, CARRY ON. :p

M14sRock 10-26-2010 03:07 AM

I was told by an active duty USMC Scout Sniper instructor to always lightly tap the turret knobs with an empty shell casing after making adjustments. This was 2.5 years ago in a 2 day sniper school. He says they do it as a matter of habit, even with their S&B's.

Good enough for the USMC, good enough for me.

Tapping is now part of my shooting habit. And I do not use cheap scopes.

cpttango30 10-26-2010 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 374445)

How many times today are you going to throw out there that you shoot $3k scopes? I think I have seen it like 5 times. Really we don't care how much your scope cost.

Quote:

I was told by an active duty USMC Scout Sniper instructor to always lightly tap the turret knobs with an empty shell casing after making adjustments. This was 2.5 years ago in a 2 day sniper school. He says they do it as a matter of habit, even with their S&B's.

Good enough for the USMC, good enough for me.

Tapping is now part of my shooting habit. And I do not use cheap scopes.
Prove to me that tapping on a scope is good for it? Where is the test reports something?

ans just because he is a USMC Sniper doesn't mean crap really. Who died and made them god?