Talley Ring height ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Talley Ring height ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Talley Ring height ?

I have a Cooper M21 Montana Varminter on order. I already own a Vortex 30mm 6x24x50mm Viper HS scope that I would like to mount using Talley fixed rings. I am thinking that medium Talleys would work, but it might be close in that case I would need highs. Does anyone have any insight (or a similar set-up) ? what ring height I should order?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21217 Times on 12048 Posts
Likes Given: 52962

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12301 View Post
I have a Cooper M21 Montana Varminter on order. I already own a Vortex 30mm 6x24x50mm Viper HS scope that I would like to mount using Talley fixed rings. I am thinking that medium Talleys would work, but it might be close in that case I would need highs. Does anyone have any insight (or a similar set-up) ? what ring height I should order?
i would suggest a visit to Talley's website. pretty sure they list specs of their rings. they may even tell which scope ring would work with that size of scope based on it's dimensions.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Axxe thank you, just done that and Talley does list ring height, mediums are .400" and highs are .500". According to this I should be able to use mediums with a 50mm scope on a standard rifle bbl. I am concerned that because a Cooper varminter has a heavy bbl I might wind up too close. But highs are a big jump up in clearance so... well you see my problem.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Axxe thank you, just done that and Talley does list ring height, mediums are .400" and highs are .500". According to this I should be able to use mediums with a 50mm scope on a standard rifle bbl. I am concerned that because a Cooper varminter has a heavy bbl I might wind up too close. But highs are a big jump up in clearance so... well you see my problem.
might have to use another brand in order to fit the scope as close to rifle as possible, but still have clearance.

also try MidwayUSA. they have list of scope rings that has the specs on them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/content/legacy/ring_height_comparisons.htm

Old 08-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks again Axxe, With a Cooper you don't have very many base and ring choices. I believe there is Talley, Warne and Ken Farrell. I suppose I could get a Farrell base which I believe would be weaver/picatinny style and then go with burris etc. but Coopers come with Talley bases so I am probably going to stick with Talley even if I have a bit more clearance than I would like. That being said if mediums will work that would be great.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1497 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 522

If Talley doesn't spec a ring for your gun, remember it's the room you need to open the bolt. It was a PITA getting rings for my Marlin XT. No one has added it to their fitment chart. I ended up with a high ring to mount a 32 mm scope on the damned thing.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks again Axxe, With a Cooper you don't have very many base and ring choices. I believe there is Talley, Warne and Ken Farrell. I suppose I could get a Farrell base which I believe would be weaver/picatinny style and then go with burris etc. but Coopers come with Talley bases so I am probably going to stick with Talley even if I have a bit more clearance than I would like. That being said if mediums will work that would be great.
i would suggest contacting Cooper if they supply the talley bases with the rifle, they can probably make a suggestion of the proper Talley rings to use for the scope.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I believe I will give Cooper a call, I want to have everything ready to go before I pick the rifle up or I would take the scope along when I pick the rifle up and fit it at the dealers, which may be my best option after all. Thanks to all for the guidance and suggestions.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
I believe I will give Cooper a call, I want to have everything ready to go before I pick the rifle up or I would take the scope along when I pick the rifle up and fit it at the dealers, which may be my best option after all. Thanks to all for the guidance and suggestions.
you're welcome. glad to be of help.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Congrats on your new Cooper rifle,That's an excellent weapon.
I've never cared much for Talley rings personally,they are a real pain in the butt to set-up without scratching the main tube of your scopes. I'd prefer going with the Ken Farrell base.I run Farrell bases on several of my long range rifles,they are great bases.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club