Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > "Tactical" Scope Needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default "Tactical" Scope Needed?

I have a Savage 10FCP-K on order and am trying to decide on a scope.

I will be using the gun solely for target shooting. I anticipate starting in the 400-600 yard range, with the goal to get consistent at 800-1000 yards eventually.

Since I'm just getting into rifles and long range shooting (am primarily a pistol shooter currently), I'm not sure what I should go with in terms of a scope. I have about $600 I can spend on a scope, but I'm thinking maybe start with a $300 scope until I get good at 400 yard shots and in maybe a year upgrade.

So would it make my life easier to have a scope that has knobs for MOA/mil adjustments on it, or a more traditional "hunting" scope?

Of the two examples, which would suit me better? Thanks!

Cabela's: Burris Fullfield II Riflescope

Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 458

I have a Burris scope and like it just fine, it is a 3x9x40 Fullfield II and it is a fine hunting scope. I am sure Burris makes something that would work for you.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If your going to be going out to 1000 yards a mill dot scope is a plus. Heck actually after about 400 yards or so they can really show their worth especially in windy enviorments. I zero my scope @ 100 yards and use my developed come up sheets for yardages out to 1000. I'll crank the elevation into the scope off my come up sheet but leave the windage knob alone set at the initial 100 yard zero. I use the mill dots and the 0.5 mill hash marks between the mill dots on my scope to pretty darn accurately figure hold off to 0.1 mill. Kind of like Kentucky windage. Much quicker for wind deveation corrections than cranking the windage knob between every shot especially in winds constantly changing speed and directions. Also use the mill dots and 0.5 mill hash marks for hold over to correct elevation when time doesn't allow for cranking the elevation knob up or down.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-18-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

I went with the 3200 Elite Tactical 10x. Got a good price, and it will get me comfortable with the gun and has decent optics from what I've read.

Now I need to learn about rings, mounting, and sighting!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you intend to go out to 1000 yards get a +20 moa scope mount. Don't scrimp on the rings either. I use the Badger Ordance scope rings but if you look around you can find other brands of similar construction and quality for a few less $$$. Badger Ordance also makes +20 moa scope mount which again when you look around at other manufactures you can probably beat their price as well. Badger Ordance quality is pretty good.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-18-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #6

Alright, another question:

Should I take the scope/rings/rifle to a gunsmith to have everything installed, or is this something I can do myself? I'm pretty handy and am comfortable tinkering with anything from motorcycles to disassembling/reassembling my Glock (granted, not a very complex gun).

Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2150 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Goldfish.

MRM14 Hit the nail on the head!
It is something most do not think about unless they get into doing the Long Range shots. I have shot a bit of 1000 yard targets in my day and I do not care if you have a good or high dollar scope you will still need the 22 MOA Scope Ring Base for your rifle, probably even prior to 800 yards.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Goldfish.

MRM14 Hit the nail on the head!
It is something most do not think about unless they get into doing the Long Range shots. I have shot a bit of 1000 yard targets in my day and I do not care if you have a good or high dollar scope you will still need the 22 MOA Scope Ring Base for your rifle, probably even prior to 800 yards.
I toned back my initial aspirations a bit until I can spend sufficient time with this gun. I'm looking to focus on 500-600 yard targets for now and have gone with a fixed 10x scope. So... mount it myself or take it to a gunsmith?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGoldfish View Post
I toned back my initial aspirations a bit until I can spend sufficient time with this gun. I'm looking to focus on 500-600 yard targets for now and have gone with a fixed 10x scope. So... mount it myself or take it to a gunsmith?
i mount my own scopes as i frequently swap scopes from rifle to rifle. a level-level-level system is very handy but any small level from the hardware store will do.

what i do is clean the top of the reciever mount the base a small bit of blue locktite on the base screws. if the gun has built in picatiny skip the previous. put the bottom half of the rings on adjust everything for eye relief mark the location with a crayon mark on the scope. torque the rings down i set my wrench to 35 inch pounds.

next level the gun off the base or rail. while level place scope on ring bases lining up with previous index marked for eye relief level scope. attach upper ring half. most of my rings are leupold so i torque the screws to 25 inch pounds. recheck level.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The best scope for the $600 mark, based upon your defined need, is one of the Super Sniper HD scopes from SWFA.

As to your mounting question, read this.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Last edited by M14sRock; 07-21-2011 at 02:18 AM.