Step one...what power
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Step one...what power

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Step one...what power

Ok, I got my 16" bull barreled AR back and I want to turn it into a 300 meter paper/coyote/and whatever is pissing me off gun. I am at the stage of looking for a scope.

First, I will be shooting factory ammo and will be perfectly happy with 2" groups (Even though there is a member here who has the same upper and shoots .5" at 300 with no problem).

Second, I know that I should buy a high dollar scope, but I just can't justify $400 on a scope let alone $1000 especially when I am such a amateur shooter. So I think I can get what I want for somewhere near $250-300.

Since there are so many scopes out there, I thought I would break it down into several smaller decisions.

What power should I be looking at? I thought a 3x9 would be perfect, but I am seeing a lot of AR's with max power being 12x.

Thanks guys
Darin

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

3-9 will work, but I think I'd bump it up to around 4-16 for 300 meters. No real drawbacks to go that route.

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I dislike 3-9 for 100 yard+ shooting. I like to see my holes in the target, without using a spotting scope. Both of my precision guns have leupold 6-18x40 VX-II on them. Even my Marlin model 60 has a Bushnell 4-12x40.

I have a 3-9x50 Nikon on my 7mag sporter. Really all I need for a hunting rifle that will not see any target shooting.

High magnification for targets, lower for hunting.

My .02

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by CA357; 01-08-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: no need to insult another member

Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
I dislike 3-9 for 100 yard+ shooting. I like to see my holes in the target, without using a spotting scope. Both of my precision guns have leupold 6-18x40 VX-II on them. Even my Marlin model 60 has a Bushnell 4-12x40.

I have a 3-9x50 Nikon on my 7mag sporter. Really all I need for a hunting rifle that will not see any target shooting.

High magnification for targets, lower for hunting.

My .02

* and I'm American, so I shoot in feet and yards. Not sure what 300 metres is........
Yep! me too. For 300 yds I'll take all the magnification I can get. If you buy a variable power, you can always turn it down for moving targets. JMHO, Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would have to agree that I prefer a scope with power to see, tightly and precisely, what I am shooting for paper.

For moving, humanoid or animals( I have honestly only ever shot coyote, wild hog and went Elk hunting to get skunked ), I prefer a lower magnification to allow a better field of view.

I would agree with something along the lines of a 4.5 x 14 or 4 x 16 ( depends on the brand ).

Good luck in your research. If you wait about two weeks, the SHOT show reports will be hitting the wire and press and there might be some new gems out there.

I would be happy to evaluate some scopes for you in this power level while I am there with Scubie.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

WillfullyArmed, I'm gonna let your comment slide this time because I seriously don't think you meant that how it sounded. But the next time you challenge me as an American even though I am a medically retired cop who gave up most of the nerves in my right foot to protect a$$hats like you we are going to have a MAJOR problem.

BTW , the range I go to is in meters so if the only thing you can do is take below the belt shots at people like that, stay the eff away from me.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 01-08-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

the us armed forces measures everything in metrics. why?? because its faster than translating yards and lends itself better to map use. less confusion and time wasted.

i always thought it was weird talking meters and then switching to miles. i still think in yards feet inches cups ounces etc. but calling for fire and setting up range charts it was meters. when i was using the designated marksmen rifle it was yards hehehe.

its very american to adopt the best of what works.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I would be happy to evaluate some scopes for you in this power level while I am there with Scubie.
Ya always gotta rub it in dontcha ?
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Ya always gotta rub it in dontcha ?
You free to get to Vegas week after next? I bet I can get you in to join the Scubie, Dr. Jason and JD party.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Lets see.

I would go with max power I can get in a decent scope in your price range.

4-16x40mm Weaver V-16 good scope for $282<========My #2 pick

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40mm $289

Nikon Coyote Spec 4.5-14x40mm w/BDC $290 <===== My #3 pick

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40mm $315

Slightly higher than your $300 limit but a lot more power

Weaver 6-24x42mm V-24 $327 <=================MY TOP PICK

Closed Thread