Springfield 1903 mount search challenge - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Springfield 1903 mount search challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

since the stock is not original just do some inletting and cut out a chunk for the sight you want if you want the peep.

you can pretty much do what ya want to that gun since its got zero collector value after the original owner trashed it.

your lucky. ive been hunting for one that i wouldnt feel bad about customizing.

just be sure to get some filler screws for any unused screw holes.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 05-07-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #12

VikingO,

You have a Springfield 1903, can't read the serial number so I can't date it for you. However I can tell you this much; The two holes on the front receiver bridge are for a REAR scope mount block. the holes for the front block would have been or are on the barrel approximately 6-7.2 inches from the center point of those two holes. These rifles were set up for the Unerti scope mounting blocks and the scope is quite long, extending way back to the rear. The lack of holes on the rear receiver bridge tells you this. There are repo scopes made by Creedmore that available along with the blocks. Look carefully at your barrel where I indicated the front block would mount and see if there are two filler screws there, flush with the barrel. If they aren't, the barrel has been changed which is most likely. You could if you wanted, have holes redrilled and tapped to put a block on the barrel if you desired to go that route. Otherwise, if you want to put a scope on you will have to have the rear receiver bridge drilled and tapped.
The type of scope base you will want is a Weaver JR S for the 1903 Springfield or Remington 1903. These are hard to come by for originals but they do make a chineese made replacement.

The holes on the side of the rear bridge are for as you have found out, a Lyman 48s, OR a Williams rear peep sight. Both use standardized hole spacing and will interchange. The Williams will fit without having to alter the wood on the stock, the Lyman would require some work. Lyman sights were available in 60-150 slide scales, the former would fit easier, the long slide would take a lot of fitting of the stock.

For more info on what you have, do a search for a Springfield 1903 sniper rifle or possibly a national match rifle.

Cub

Last edited by Supercub; 05-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

pls delete/ignore

Last edited by vikingo; 05-14-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #14

I wish I had seen your post sooner Cub. I went ahead and hand carved out the slot for a Lyman 48 I found on ebay. The ebay guy was a real jerk, and the lyman sight's screws were tapped just inside of the slots on the 1903. I was not happy. I ended up realizing that I had to carve at an angle and scraped off millimeter by millimeter until I could line up the holes as best as I could. Then, in order to make it work, I screwed the external screw in two threads and worked the internal screw on the Lyman (the one that gets covered by the altitude slide) at an angle, because I notice it had a little more thread on one side than the other. again, not happy. in the end, both screws went in and they are tight. I played with the sight and my father-in-law's laser guide in the backyard and am looking forward to getting out to the lease to get it zero'd in.

I think this gun has been an excellent lesson to consider taking this type of thing up as a hobby, and I might. I've had some fun with it. In the end, I guess you have to be satisfied that these projects are just that, projects and that they are not going to be perfect and it is good practice for the next one. I am quite content with the results given the setbacks.
Insofar as putting an old Unerti scope on it, we'll see. Thanks all,

vikingo

vikingo
dsc_0169.jpg   dsc_0170.jpg  

Last edited by vikingo; 05-14-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #15

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

03 with Kahles
308-mauser-nikon-30.06-springfield-03-a3-kahles-005.jpg   308-mauser-nikon-30.06-springfield-03-a3-kahles-007.jpg  

Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #16

Vikingo, Nice job and it's how it should be. Keep in mind, your rifle was probably set up for match shooting at one time and in a different stock. It is very common to see a match rifle with both the Lyman peep sight holes and the scope holes on the same gun. I suspect that your rifle was sporterized at some point with the Buhler safety and the turned down bolt handle. It may have had a Williams or Lyman 48S on it at some point and those wouldn't require shaving the wood especially in a military stock. Thousands of these 03's were sporterized in the late 40's and 50's. I have 4 myself in different configurations. One is a Weaver T-3 side mount and a Weaver 330 scope from the 40's. Very, very accurate set up. I originally bought that rifle just for the scope, but having shot it, wouldn't change a thing.

I'm courious, is it a Springfield, or Remington 1903? The bolt is a Remington for what it's worth. If it's a Springfield and below 850,000 seriel numbered, there is some question of receiver hardness and are suspect. Most were scrapped, some fell throught he cracks. Parts are interchangable between the two and it's quite common to see parts from both on the same rifle.

Hope that helps.

Cub

Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #17

My bad , It's a Remington, but I have two Springfields, they don't have scopes though.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #18

I believe this is one or you can take your pick LOL
dale-003.jpg   dale-004.jpg  

Last edited by barneygoogle; 05-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.