Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Springfield 1903 mount search challenge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/springfield-1903-mount-search-challenge-62963/)

vikingo 04-20-2012 11:25 PM

Springfield 1903 mount search challenge

2 Attachment(s)
From deep south Texas,

I am having some real trouble finding a mount for a modified Springfield 1903. I bought this off a friend who knew he was giving me a good gun, but was missing a sight or a scope. I'm happy with either, but want to use this rifle to hunt, so I'd like to find a way to put something on it.
The rifle has been tapped with two drill holes on top and in front of the chamber. It also has two drill holes on the right side but behind the chamber. I think, but what the heck do I know, that this rifle has been specially modified to fit a previous owner and as such they chose not to use a 'normal' mount. I'm just guessing.
The area behind the chamber has a little 'bump' type curvature to it and it does not look like it allows for further modification. I think whoever had this weapon way back put some real money and personal taste into the rifle, but he/she has made it hard to replicate his work.
I've shown this to three different gun stores in town and a few hunting buddies and everyone says, "great gun, no idea." I finally called weaver who gave me the stock answer for the 1903, which was the side mount #1. I ordered it, but the more I looked at it the less convinced I was that it was the right piece. I canceled the order.
I am throwing myself at the mercy of all y'all's combined public knowledge and hope someone out there can guide me in the right direction. I've included pictures as appropriate. Thank you in advance.
I don't want to spend another hunting season with my father-in-law's 243 and I think this weapon can become a family treasure if I can get it done right.

thoughts?

'el vikingo'

Trez 04-20-2012 11:41 PM

The hole roughly at 5.25" looks like your Hatcher hole... It looks like to me that it probably had a rear aperture (peep) sight...

Sniper03 04-20-2012 11:51 PM

Trez,

I am with you! I will bet regarding the rear holes that someone had a set of Redfield Peep Sights or a similar sight on it. Certainly not a scope mount.

Viking, you will just need to take it to a gunsmith and have him drill and tap holes for scope traditional bases. I would suggest if you do, be sure it is for standard bases like Leupold, Weaver or other traditional hole spaced mounts. That will solve your problem and you will have a good solid mounting system to mount your scope. The 1903s are fine rifles. Looks like you have a nice one!

vikingo 04-20-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 777299)
The hole roughly at 5.25" looks like your Hatcher hole... It looks like to me that it probably had a rear aperture (peep) sight...

You are right about the Hatcher's hole and the first picture may not show it well, but there are two drill holes tapped above as well.

hiwall 04-20-2012 11:57 PM

If it has a front sight and you would want a peep sight they sell them quite often on ebay. If you want a scope you will need to go to a local gunsmith for drilling and tapping the rear holes for the mount.

Trez 04-20-2012 11:57 PM

Looking around my guess would be a Redfield Model 70S ("S" is for Springfield) they made a (T) target model that could be adjusted with your fingers and a (H) model that would use some sorta tool to adjust..
Or it could be a Lyman 48 sight

Trez 04-21-2012 12:00 AM

Found this pic... So im gonna go with the Lyman 48

http://www.milsurps.com/attachment.p...7&d=1316665258

vikingo 04-21-2012 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like guns, but I'm not a gun nut. At least, I didn't think I was. That said, I'm starting to like the thrill of hunting down these old rifle parts. This could be a hobby in the making, thanks guys. (sarcastically: my wife is going to love this.)

The rifle does have a front sight on it and I'm starting to like the idea of using a classical peep sight for hunting circa 100-150 yards. Here's the full pic:

hiwall 04-21-2012 04:33 AM

If you do decide to go with the peep sight, you should make sure the sight and your gun have the same hole spacing (before you buy). I think a Mauser one would work also. Most receiver sights go on the left side but 1903's and Mausers are the exceptions.

vikingo 05-07-2012 11:16 PM

ok guys. back to the drawing board. It took me a few weeks, but I was able to find a Lyman 48s, which is exactly the piece that this gun was drilled for. However, the previous owner clearly removed the peep sight when he refitted the gun with a new stock because the sight did not fit on account of the width and placement of the stock....aaargh.... He must have pulled off the peep sight, put on a new stock and put a scope up on top. So...we are back to square one.

Does anyone know what kind of scope mount would fit on top of the Springfield 1903? please note the pictures in the first post. we are looking at the two drill holes in front of the chamber which are directly above my fingers. I am not giving up on this gun.