So you want a scope. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > So you want a scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As to four holes drilled and tapped on front and rear top of receiver, they are indeed for mounting either a two piece or once piece scope mount. Four holes in your receiver suggest to me it was drilled for installation of a Weaver style two piece scope mount bases. So called scope rings would be attached to the mount.

As to a Tasco brand scope, well this brand is not generally highly regarded by many. Years ago Tasco scopes were made in Japan and fairly highly regarded. Own a couple of these old Japanese Tascos myself and they still decent scopes. Unfortunately, present day quality of Tasco not that good, made in China and etc. It is a brand I avoid buying.

As to a 3x9x40mm scope: Yes the 40mm is related to diameter of front lens of the scope. Bigger the diameter of lens, the more light allowed which some claim they need for shooting in low light conditions, like the very early dawn or when sun is setting and etc. I just shoot paper usually starting from about an hour after sunrise or so and my 40mm scopes perform just as well as my 50mm scopes.

3-9 power: very common power range of general purpose hunting scopes. Me I'd prefer something in the 3-12 power range with a variable lens for general purpose hunting. Whats variable lens mean? Well, on a typical 3-9 rifle scope the scope lens is set for shooting/sighting at something 100 yds away. A variable lens scope allows to adjust the scope lens for distance you are shooting, whether its 25 yds, 50yds, 100 yds, 200 yds and etc. This has something to do with parallax, which I will not bother to try to explain.

I do not hunt, just shoot paper, usually at 100 yds, sometimes 200 yds. I like to see the bullet holes in my target....therefore, for my tired old eyes (and I wear trifocal glasses) I consider 18 power the minimum power scope I'll buy for my paper shooting....generally prefer something around 24 power. So, not uncommon for me to have a 6-24x44 power scope on one of my rifles.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #22

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Link for above:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kwik-Site-Scope-Mounts-for-1-Tube-and-Objective-Lens-for-Weaver-Style-Bases/20828590

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 08-13-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #23

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
Hey there, I would appreciate if y'all could recommend a scope and answer some questions I have...I know NOTHING about scopes

1. Price? Well nothing greater than $1000. But what does $1000 get me that a $200 scope is missing?
2. Use? Just an all around scope. Range. Run n gun. Hunt. Whatever.
3. Rifle? AR 15 (spikes lower BCM upper)
4. Caliber? 5.56 (mostly 55 grain, sometimes 62, rarely 67)
5.Fixed or variable power? Either. Variable seems ideal though.
6. Other requirements? My only requirement is that I want it to be EXTREMELY DURABLE/RELIABLE...I want to buy one scope that will last a lifetime, if that's possible?

Okay, so maybe my answers won't exactly help you recommend a scope for me. So maybe you can answer some questions for me?

1. I see scopes that seem almost identical, but one is $300 and one is $2000. What about the $2000 scope makes it so much better?
2. Is there such thing as good 'overall' scope?
3. What characteristics about a scope would I look for if I were hunting? Or if I were target shooting? Or if I was doing competitions? (Basically my question is, which characteristics about a scope are good for which intended purpose?)

I want to thank you all in advance for helping because I KNOW this is a very in depth question...
Maybe y'all could point me towards a sticky or thread or even a website where I could read up on all this stuff...other than just googling for a few weeks.
Thanks.
What will the $2000 Nightforce or Vortex Razor give you the $200 scope won't everything you asked for, reliability, extreme durability and such things as crystal clear optics, excellent tracking, excellent resolution, superior turrets. virtual no chromatic aberration and usually excellent customer service and warranties. You get what you pay for is always true especially in the case of optics. I have seen dozens of low end scopes that were brand new like Barfka, Tasco, NCStar and Simmons break down first time on the range in my many years of shooting. There are some lower priced scopes like Nikon and Weaver and Konus that are excellent scopes but also have their limits especially under harsh field conditions or hard use. Where scopes like Nightforce, Hensoldt, Schmidt and Bender, USO, Kahles and many other top of the line scope are built like tanks and will continue to perform under the harshest conditions.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #24

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnev

What will the $2000 Nightforce or Vortex Razor give you the $200 scope won't everything you asked for, reliability, extreme durability and such things as crystal clear optics, excellent tracking, excellent resolution, superior turrets. virtual no chromatic aberration and usually excellent customer service and warranties. You get what you pay for is always true especially in the case of optics. I have seen dozens of low end scopes that were brand new like Barfka, Tasco, NCStar and Simmons break down first time on the range in my many years of shooting. There are some lower priced scopes like Nikon and Weaver and Konus that are excellent scopes but also have their limits especially under harsh field conditions or hard use. Where scopes like Nightforce, Hensoldt, Schmidt and Bender, USO, Kahles and many other top of the line scope are built like tanks and will continue to perform under the harshest conditions.
Thank you for the info..
Will you please recommend me a scope..?
Maybe a few specific ones.
Durability and reliability being most important.
50-300 yards max. For target shooting and possibly hunting at some point.
I guess I couldn't tell you what else I'm looking for in a scope. All I know is that the durability aspect is really important to me.
I want to buy ONE scope that will last 2 lifetimes. That I can shoot thousands of rounds through and that can take a beating.
That is most important to me. I doubt I'll ever need anything that durable but it's something I value and just like to have.
So what are so e extremely durable and reliable scopes out there?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #25

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Sure you'll get a lot of comments but $200 scope, M4 (16" barrel) and 300 yards are going to be a tough combination, especially if you are starting out.
Why? In the Marines we shot out to 500 yards with iron sights, why would a $200 scope not enable good shots at 300 yards with an AR?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2429 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcilten

Why? In the Marines we shot out to 500 yards with iron sights, why would a $200 scope not enable good shots at 300 yards with an AR?
While there's a big difference between iron sights and lenses encased in sealed metal and filled with gas, I do agree with you that $200 ought to buy a scope that will enable good shots out that far in most conditions.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 09-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Thank you for the info..
Will you please recommend me a scope..?
Maybe a few specific ones.
Durability and reliability being most important.
50-300 yards max. For target shooting and possibly hunting at some point.
I guess I couldn't tell you what else I'm looking for in a scope. All I know is that the durability aspect is really important to me.
I want to buy ONE scope that will last 2 lifetimes. That I can shoot thousands of rounds through and that can take a beating.
That is most important to me. I doubt I'll ever need anything that durable but it's something I value and just like to have.
So what are so e extremely durable and reliable scopes out there?
Using the info you gave for your particular situation I would get the Nightforce NXS 3-15x50 with Zero Stop and High Speed turrets. The 3X power lets you shoot up close (50 yards without a problem or even closer) and the 15X allows you to shoot out to 1000 yards if you ever need to or anything in between. There are more expensive scopes like Schmidt and Bender, USO, Premier, Kahles, Hensoldt that are just as reliable and have slightly better optics but run $1000-$1500 more but do not offer any more reliability or durability IMO.
If you want a scope with a little more magnification the I would step up to the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 with Zero Stop and High Speed turrets. Either scope with the MOAR reticle. The NXS 5.5-22X50 scope is my favorite. If you want a larger objective lens they both come with a 56 objective lens as well as the 50 for the same price. I like a little more magnification for my old eyes and I do not do much close in shooting.
Both scopes are 2nd focal plane scopes which I prefer over first focal plane because I find that on the FFP scopes I own on the lower powers the reticle calibration marks are to small to be effective when trying to range. I do better with using the elevation turret to dial in for what ever range I am shooting other than the 100 yards I zero all my scopes for.
The reason I choose Nightforce over the Vortex Razor is they have a long record of ruggedness and reliability while the Vortex Razor and all Vortex scopes are relatively new on the scene.
For a mount I would use Larue or AMD (in the $200 range) or if your budget conscious the Burris 30mm PEPR mount non quick disconnect which is less than $100. I have used all 3 and satisfied with all of them. The best bang for the buck IMO is the Burris PEPR if you don't need the quick disconnect feature.

I disagree with the above poster on getting a $200 scope to suit your needs. I have seen to way to many fail in my lifetime on the range and in the field. You get what you pay for when buying optics. There is an old saying "buy once cry once". In the case of an expensive scope the crying is for the cost.

I recommend Sport Optics (Jay or Chris) in Hammond, LA for a shop that has great prices, free shipping and quick delivery.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by samnev; 09-03-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #28

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnev

Using the info you gave for your particular situation I would get the Nightforce NXS 3-15x50 with Zero Stop and High Speed turrets. The 3X power lets you shoot up close (50 yards without a problem or even closer) and the 15X allows you to shoot out to 1000 yards if you ever need to or anything in between. There are more expensive scopes like Schmidt and Bender, USO, Premier, Kahles, Hensoldt that are just as reliable and have slightly better optics but run $1000-$1500 more but do not offer any more reliability or durability IMO.
If you want a scope with a little more magnification the I would step up to the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 with Zero Stop and High Speed turrets. Either scope with the MOAR reticle. The NXS 5.5-22X50 scope is my favorite. If you want a larger objective lens they both come with a 56 objective lens as well as the 50 for the same price. I like a little more magnification for my old eyes and I do not do much close in shooting.
Both scopes are 2nd focal plane scopes which I prefer over first focal plane because I find that on the FFP scopes I own on the lower powers the reticle calibration marks are to small to be effective when trying to range. I do better with using the elevation turret to dial in for what ever range I am shooting other than the 100 yards I zero all my scopes for.
The reason I choose Nightforce over the Vortex Razor is they have a long record of ruggedness and reliability while the Vortex Razor and all Vortex scopes are relatively new on the scene.
For a mount I would use Larue or AMD (in the $200 range) or if your budget conscious the Burris 30mm PEPR mount non quick disconnect which is less than $100. I have used all 3 and satisfied with all of them. The best bang for the buck IMO is the Burris PEPR if you don't need the quick disconnect feature.

I disagree with the above poster on getting a $200 scope to suit your needs. I have seen to way to many fail in my lifetime on the range and in the field. You get what you pay for when buying optics. There is an old saying "buy once cry once". In the case of an expensive scope the crying is for the cost.

I recommend Sport Optics (Jay or Chris) in Hammond, LA for a shop that has great prices, free shipping and quick delivery.
Hope that helps.
Exactly the info I was looking for. thanks a ton!

Old 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #29

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF

While there's a big difference between iron sights and lenses encased in sealed metal and filled with gas, I do agree with you that $200 ought to buy a scope that will enable good shots out that far in most conditions.
I know, it was a rhetorical question....I was being facetious! 0

Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #30

Default Scope Choice

Quote:
Exactly the info I was looking for. thanks a ton!
You are welcome. Glad I could be of assistance. You won't regret getting a Nightforce scope. I have been using the on both bolt and semi's for 10 years without a single problem on any of them.