So you want a scope.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > So you want a scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default So you want a scope.

So you want a scope.

There more scopes on the market than there ever will be firearms. Scopes come in many different sized powers for just as many different reasons. Scopes are more specific to what you want to do then firearms. You can hunt with a rifle, carbine and some pistols. But, a hunting scope for a eastern deer rifle is different than a scope for a rifle that is going to be hunting prong horns out west.

We also understand that by going to a store or SWFA.com, or opticsplanet.net is a little overwhelming. We can't help and guide you to a new scope purchase if we don't have all the information. Just giving us a rifle and caliber doesn't help at all. We get the Hey I got a Howa in 308 whats a good scope. A Good scope for what? Are you going to deer hunt with it, varmint hunt, target shoot, F-Class, what are you going to do with it. A rifle for Deer hunting is going to have different scope needs than a 308 that is going to be shooting on the line at an F-Class match.

So when you are asking for help in outfitting your new rifle with optics please remember to give us as much information as you can. Some things we need to know.

1. Price
2. Use
3. Rifle
4. Caliber
5. Variable or fixed power
6. Any other requirements you have.

If you give use these few items we will be able to guide you in the proper direction for optics. We are here to help.

Last edited by cpttango30; 07-23-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Good infor. I hope some will follow it

Old 07-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great post Brett!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Very well written,Tango!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #5

Default Scope for .30-30

Hey CPTTANGO30---
I read your posting carefully, and I humbly ask a question. Marlin .30-30, California, plan on hunting pigs, possibly deer. I believe I would like a fixed, low power scope, like the Leupold FXII, which comes in either 2.5x or 4x. The gun is said to be good to 150-250 yards, though I may not be (yet) for humane hunting purposes. I don't see myself shooting beyond 150 yards, max. Any opinion between the 2.5X and the 4x? Will the 2.5x still be quick and useful to 150 yards? And does anybody else sell a fixed power in that range? Thanks for any ideas and opinions you have.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
So you want a scope.
1. Price
2. Use
3. Rifle
4. Caliber

If you give use these few items we will be able to guide you in the proper direction for optics. We are here to help.
I read this thread the other day and I have looked at the SWFA site. From what I have looked at, I have a few favorite brands so far: Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Zeiss, and Nikon. I have a few others but those are out of my price range. I will admit that even after browsing the site for the past few days, I am partial to Bushnell, Leupold, and Burris based on brand reputation and Nikon because my brother recommended it (he was a pmi at Parris Island) and he told me that for the money he believes that Nikon can stand next to some of the lower end Leupolds.

1. < or = $1,000.
2. hunting and possible light competition shooting
3. Browning X-Bolt Medallion
4. 30-06
5. Definitely variable power
6. I want a well rounded scope. Although I will be primarily hunting, I want a scope that is versatile enough to give me an opportunity to fair well at a competition. Some kind of BDC would be a huge plus to adjust on the fly.

Have fun sorting through this information. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #7

What annoys me about places like SWFA, Amazon, and Cheaper than dirt is they seem to ignore rules that some other websites can't get away with. Minimum advertised price (MAP) is set up by some manufacturers and is not supposed to be ignored. These sites seem to get away with it and it makes it hard for the little guy to compete.
Some of us are just trying to make an honest buck and sites like this make it even more difficult.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #8

Hey Just so happen I'm looking for a scope to start my way into long distance target shooting

1. Price=200 or less
2. Use= target out to 300 yards or more
3. Rifle= rock river M4
4. Caliber=5.56/223 55 and 62 gr
5. Variable or fixed power= variable
6. Any other requirements you have. =picatiny rail mounts

thanks in advance

Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #9

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by mine4life View Post
Hey Just so happen I'm looking for a scope to start my way into long distance target shooting

1. Price=200 or less
2. Use= target out to 300 yards or more
3. Rifle= rock river M4
4. Caliber=5.56/223 55 and 62 gr
5. Variable or fixed power= variable
6. Any other requirements you have. =picatiny rail mounts

thanks in advance
Sure you'll get a lot of comments but $200 scope, M4 (16" barrel) and 300 yards are going to be a tough combination, especially if you are starting out.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default New Scope

I just ordered an SA M1A National Match and a Basset low mount.
The scopes on my bolt actions are Leupold 3x9 and have given me good service for 30+yrs. out to 300 Yds but I would like to push to 600 yds for target and still do some hunting. TN not WY. I have been looking at the Leupold VX-2 Target 6-18 w/fine duplex and custom dial.So:$600.00, target + some hunting, M1A, 7.62x51, and variable. Scope ring height? For fun not competion.
Thank you. Love this site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
So you want a scope.

There more scopes on the market than there ever will be firearms. Scopes come in many different sized powers for just as many different reasons. Scopes are more specific to what you want to do then firearms. You can hunt with a rifle, carbine and some pistols. But, a hunting scope for a eastern deer rifle is different than a scope for a rifle that is going to be hunting prong horns out west.

We also understand that by going to a store or SWFA.com, or opticsplanet.net is a little overwhelming. We can't help and guide you to a new scope purchase if we don't have all the information. Just giving us a rifle and caliber doesn't help at all. We get the Hey I got a Howa in 308 whats a good scope. A Good scope for what? Are you going to deer hunt with it, varmint hunt, target shoot, F-Class, what are you going to do with it. A rifle for Deer hunting is going to have different scope needs than a 308 that is going to be shooting on the line at an F-Class match.

So when you are asking for help in outfitting your new rifle with optics please remember to give us as much information as you can. Some things we need to know.

1. Price
2. Use
3. Rifle
4. Caliber