Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   So you want a scope. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/so-you-want-scope-45676/)

cpttango30 07-23-2011 12:42 PM

So you want a scope.

So you want a scope.

There more scopes on the market than there ever will be firearms. Scopes come in many different sized powers for just as many different reasons. Scopes are more specific to what you want to do then firearms. You can hunt with a rifle, carbine and some pistols. But, a hunting scope for a eastern deer rifle is different than a scope for a rifle that is going to be hunting prong horns out west.

We also understand that by going to a store or SWFA.com, or opticsplanet.net is a little overwhelming. We can't help and guide you to a new scope purchase if we don't have all the information. Just giving us a rifle and caliber doesn't help at all. We get the Hey I got a Howa in 308 whats a good scope. A Good scope for what? Are you going to deer hunt with it, varmint hunt, target shoot, F-Class, what are you going to do with it. A rifle for Deer hunting is going to have different scope needs than a 308 that is going to be shooting on the line at an F-Class match.

So when you are asking for help in outfitting your new rifle with optics please remember to give us as much information as you can. Some things we need to know.

1. Price
2. Use
3. Rifle
4. Caliber
5. Variable or fixed power
6. Any other requirements you have.

If you give use these few items we will be able to guide you in the proper direction for optics. We are here to help.

opaww 07-23-2011 01:48 PM

Good infor. I hope some will follow it

canebrake 07-23-2011 02:10 PM

Great post Brett!

Txhillbilly 07-23-2011 04:30 PM

Very well written,Tango!

Maxwell1 08-20-2011 04:12 PM

Scope for .30-30

Hey CPTTANGO30---
I read your posting carefully, and I humbly ask a question. Marlin .30-30, California, plan on hunting pigs, possibly deer. I believe I would like a fixed, low power scope, like the Leupold FXII, which comes in either 2.5x or 4x. The gun is said to be good to 150-250 yards, though I may not be (yet) for humane hunting purposes. I don't see myself shooting beyond 150 yards, max. Any opinion between the 2.5X and the 4x? Will the 2.5x still be quick and useful to 150 yards? And does anybody else sell a fixed power in that range? Thanks for any ideas and opinions you have.

navvet08 09-08-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 548312)
So you want a scope.
1. Price
2. Use
3. Rifle
4. Caliber

If you give use these few items we will be able to guide you in the proper direction for optics. We are here to help.

I read this thread the other day and I have looked at the SWFA site. From what I have looked at, I have a few favorite brands so far: Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Zeiss, and Nikon. I have a few others but those are out of my price range. :) I will admit that even after browsing the site for the past few days, I am partial to Bushnell, Leupold, and Burris based on brand reputation and Nikon because my brother recommended it (he was a pmi at Parris Island) and he told me that for the money he believes that Nikon can stand next to some of the lower end Leupolds.

1. < or = $1,000.
2. hunting and possible light competition shooting
3. Browning X-Bolt Medallion
4. 30-06
5. Definitely variable power
6. I want a well rounded scope. Although I will be primarily hunting, I want a scope that is versatile enough to give me an opportunity to fair well at a competition. Some kind of BDC would be a huge plus to adjust on the fly.

Have fun sorting through this information. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

pipeman525 11-09-2011 05:47 AM

What annoys me about places like SWFA, Amazon, and Cheaper than dirt is they seem to ignore rules that some other websites can't get away with. Minimum advertised price (MAP) is set up by some manufacturers and is not supposed to be ignored. These sites seem to get away with it and it makes it hard for the little guy to compete. :mad::mad:
Some of us are just trying to make an honest buck and sites like this make it even more difficult.

mine4life 06-28-2012 11:10 PM

Hey Just so happen I'm looking for a scope to start my way into long distance target shooting

1. Price=200 or less
2. Use= target out to 300 yards or more
3. Rifle= rock river M4
4. Caliber=5.56/223 55 and 62 gr
5. Variable or fixed power= variable
6. Any other requirements you have. =picatiny rail mounts

thanks in advance :D

Jpyle 06-29-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mine4life (Post 852670)
Hey Just so happen I'm looking for a scope to start my way into long distance target shooting

1. Price=200 or less
2. Use= target out to 300 yards or more
3. Rifle= rock river M4
4. Caliber=5.56/223 55 and 62 gr
5. Variable or fixed power= variable
6. Any other requirements you have. =picatiny rail mounts

thanks in advance :D

Sure you'll get a lot of comments but $200 scope, M4 (16" barrel) and 300 yards are going to be a tough combination, especially if you are starting out.

25-5 07-06-2012 04:07 PM

New Scope

I just ordered an SA M1A National Match and a Basset low mount.
The scopes on my bolt actions are Leupold 3x9 and have given me good service for 30+yrs. out to 300 Yds but I would like to push to 600 yds for target and still do some hunting. TN not WY. I have been looking at the Leupold VX-2 Target 6-18 w/fine duplex and custom dial.So:$600.00, target + some hunting, M1A, 7.62x51, and variable. Scope ring height? For fun not competion.
Thank you. Love this site!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 548312)
So you want a scope.

There more scopes on the market than there ever will be firearms. Scopes come in many different sized powers for just as many different reasons. Scopes are more specific to what you want to do then firearms. You can hunt with a rifle, carbine and some pistols. But, a hunting scope for a eastern deer rifle is different than a scope for a rifle that is going to be hunting prong horns out west.

We also understand that by going to a store or SWFA.com, or opticsplanet.net is a little overwhelming. We can't help and guide you to a new scope purchase if we don't have all the information. Just giving us a rifle and caliber doesn't help at all. We get the Hey I got a Howa in 308 whats a good scope. A Good scope for what? Are you going to deer hunt with it, varmint hunt, target shoot, F-Class, what are you going to do with it. A rifle for Deer hunting is going to have different scope needs than a 308 that is going to be shooting on the line at an F-Class match.

So when you are asking for help in outfitting your new rifle with optics please remember to give us as much information as you can. Some things we need to know.

1. Price
2. Use
3. Rifle
4. Caliber