Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > so many decision not enough money...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default so many decision not enough money...

ok guys so once again here is another thread on what scope to buy hoping for some user input on these scopes/ what to buy for what i am doing.

so i have purchased a Zastava .270 win for hunting/ introduction to long range shooting. I can only shoot up to the .270 calibre where i live so i bought this i know not the best choice but it was in my budget.

i plan on hunting deer/ coyts' and teaching myself how to shoot long range ( 800 yards when i get there or further if possible?)

so here is my list of scopes i have thought about buying what to you guys recommend?

Hawke sidewinder series both a 4-16x50 SR6 with a 1/4 moa price $479.99
and a 8-32x56 price $519.99

weaver grand slam 3-10x40 1/4moa $507.99

monix za-5 3-15x42 price $499.99

bushnell elite 5-15x40 $499.99

anything i am missing or should stay away from? any input would be great thanks guys

* shoot straight, long and safe**

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Can't say I know a lot about the scopes you listed, but I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with a 30 mm tube on my long range set up and I love it.

I'll tell you what I look for in a scope. I prefer to use the turret method, meaning I adjust my elevation for the range. You want a scope that has good adjustments and returns to your zero point of aim. A 30 mm tube allows for more adjustment with your elevation. More light transmission in a 30 mm tube is BS. Its all about adjustments. A 50mm objective lens gives more more light at higher powers, like if your all the up at 20x. Most scopes that you or I can afford lose light at higher powers, just the way it is, but there is little distortion with the viper. The viper has all these features, and you can get them for $459 here in Utah. And it has a no questions asked lifetime warranty and awesome customer service.

So look through the ones you listed, see how they work, what eye relief fits you, look at their warranties, compare them if the store will let you outside at dawn or dusk. Hope this helps!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

thanks for the input model70 i will do that

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How do you like the Zastava? A gunsmith I know uses their actions but i haven't seen a lot of his finished rifles and I'd like to know more about them. I'd like to build a .416 Ruger on a crf action, and I hear good things about Zastava.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

I found it at my local gun shop ( i live in Canada ps ) they often get in old surplus military guns and it came in on a shipment so i picked one up for relatively cheap, its a .270 with a Mauser bolt action on it. it is kind of sloppy but the work on the barrel was great all hand laved, not a cookie cutter job like the new Remington's have.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

no other opinions guys?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

from your choices I would go with the weaver. bushnell would be second choice. I've never heard of the others so personally, I would stay away from them. But forget all that. For those prices, you could pick up a used leupold or burris. I would vote for one of them over the ones on your list hands down! I'd buy them even if they were broken. Burris and Leupold make awesome scopes and have lifetime warranties. If you buy a broken one, send it in. They will fix it. I've never dealt with Leupolds customer service but Burris has such a great warranty, they will flat out refuse to charge you for parts and repairs! I even offered to pay for my parts because they were ruined by previous owner and obviously no fault of Burris. They said NO, we will send them to you at no charge. If you're serious about reaching out to 800 yards, you're gonna want VERY good glass. I would look for a used fixed 36x leupy for between $400-$500. I got my burris black diamond 8-32x50 for $412 but I'll admit that's a deal that doesn't come along very often.

Depending on what you're trying to hit out at 800, you might wanna reconsider. If you wanna be able to shoot 4" groups at 800yds, which I would say is acceptable to get the kill zone on a deer, you're going to need to be able to shoot half inch or better at 100yds and know how to read wind and account for elevation and bullet drop to get out that far. And even then, you will be a lot of work away from being able to take head shots on prairie dogs at that distance. It can all be done, but you need to decide what you wanna shoot and how accurate your rifle needs to be in order to perform that well. Then you need to decide if it's worth it to put the time, money, and effort into the rifle to make it happen. I'm not trying to talk you out of it or steer you away from it, just asking for more information. Anything is possible if your pockets are deep enough.

Last edited by ryguy00; 04-23-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #8

that's great advice thank you
only thing is i don't have a very deep budget still a student and tuition kills me lol, but i have been trying to find a used lu but there impossible to find the guys know that they can just send them back to get it fixed. i hope to shoot a 4 inch target at 800 yards that would be ideal for me know until i can afford the precision rifle along with the scope.

thanks again any more input would be great thanks guys

Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Being that you are north of the border,that might limit you on the scopes that we suggest.I don't know about the importation laws of optics between the USA/Canada,but most companies will not try to ship across the border.The items seem to get stuck in customs,most of the time.

Weaver is a good choice,as is Bushnell.But Bushnell has been know to have customer service problems if you need to have your scope repaired.

Hawke has a big audience in the UK and Australia,and seem to be good scopes from personal reviews I've seen.

I believe you mis-spelled Minox.They are big in the camera world,and have recently entered the sporting optics lineup.I've read some very good reviews on their scopes.

The best thing to do is find a local dealer that carries the scopes that your interested in,and go actually look at them and thru them.Ask if you can look at them outdoors,and look at different ranges,also look for bright open areas as well as shaded areas to get a feel of how the coatings on the lenses are affected by changing the light available to the reticle's.
Everybody's eyes are different,so what looks good to me,might not look the same to you.

In the price range your looking at,most all of them will suit your needs.Just find the one that works best for you.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

I'm wanting a picatinny mount for a Zastava m70 Mauser .308. Anybody?