Simmons scope? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Simmons scope?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,922
Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i have a couple of Simmons scopes that came on used rifles i bought and seem to work fine for rimfires, but there is next to no recoil on a rimfire, so this could be why they seem to work fine on them. sometimes use them for other rifles until i get a better scope bought or ordered, just to test out the rifle. Simmons would not be my first choice for a scope at all, unless it was for a light recoiling rifle or a rimfire.
So for a 30-06 don't go with a Simmons? I'm looking for a little stronger scope.
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
So for a 30-06 don't go with a Simmons? I'm looking for a little stronger scope.
i had one on a Remington M700 in 30-06, that was on there when i bought the rifle used. i used it for a couple of months, and it did alright. i plan on upgrading to a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 in the near future.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
So for a 30-06 don't go with a Simmons? I'm looking for a little stronger scope.
again, i have had a simmons on my 06 for MANY years!

I just dont see any sense in dropping more coin on a scope than i paid for my gun.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,922
Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

again, i have had a simmons on my 06 for MANY years!

I just dont see any sense in dropping more coin on a scope than i paid for my gun.
That's my main thing is price. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a scope. I have a Simmons on the 10/22 and had to replace that under warranty, but it seems alright. I read reviews on the Simmons scope and didn't see bad reviews on the scope I was looking at.
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
That's my main thing is price. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a scope. I have a Simmons on the 10/22 and had to replace that under warranty, but it seems alright. I read reviews on the Simmons scope and didn't see bad reviews on the scope I was looking at.
I have not heard much good about simmons scopes of late. The whitetail classic did NOT work out well for me. Personally, i would probably go with a bushnell over a simmons these days. The simmons on the 06 is over 25 years old. Plenty of quality brands out there that wont break the bank, just shop around.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,922
Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

I have not heard much good about simmons scopes of late. The whitetail classic did NOT work out well for me. Personally, i would probably go with a bushnell over a simmons these days. The simmons on the 06 is over 25 years old. Plenty of quality brands out there that wont break the bank, just shop around.
Cool thanks.
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,305
Liked 5703 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
again, i have had a simmons on my 06 for MANY years!

I just dont see any sense in dropping more coin on a scope than i paid for my gun.

I guess I just can't understand why anyone would spend $1000-$1500 on a quality rifle, and then balk at $1000 for a top notch scope.

Look at the scopes that military and SWAT team snipers use. In other areas, we try to use what the top professionals use. Why not with scopes?
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,922
Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

I guess I just can't understand why anyone would spend $1000-$1500 on a quality rifle, and then balk at $1000 for a top notch scope.

Look at the scopes that military and SWAT team snipers use. In other areas, we try to use what the top professionals use. Why not with scopes?
Do you make the amount they do? If you do then spread the love since it is just pocket change. That's my main reason!!
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I guess I just can't understand why anyone would spend $1000-$1500 on a quality rifle, and then balk at $1000 for a top notch scope.

Look at the scopes that military and SWAT team snipers use. In other areas, we try to use what the top professionals use. Why not with scopes?

But, I believe that the military buys them from the lowest bidder.
__________________
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
But, I believe that the military buys them from the lowest bidder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I guess I just can't understand why anyone would spend $1000-$1500 on a quality rifle, and then balk at $1000 for a top notch scope.

Look at the scopes that military and SWAT team snipers use. In other areas, we try to use what the top professionals use. Why not with scopes?
Then do what the Govt. does...Buy those high dollar scopes for us?? I'll take two if your footing the bill!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
NcSTAR Compact Rifle Scope - 6x32 Scope iskatel Optics & Mounts 18 05-08-2010 04:22 AM
gene simmons family jewels cpttango30 The Club House 2 04-26-2010 04:54 AM
Simmons Gold Medal Scopes cafsman Optics & Mounts 3 03-20-2010 01:59 PM
Simmons "Boresighter" scope ? RCGOAT Optics & Mounts 2 02-27-2009 04:15 PM
Simmons in Birmingham AL 1984cj The Club House 3 09-24-2007 12:59 AM