Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Simmons scope? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/simmons-scope-71957/)

Fathead00 09-06-2012 11:37 PM

Simmons scope?

I'm looking for a little bit stronger scope for my Remington 721 30-06. Right now I have an older Hi Lux 3-9X40 scope. I just found this Simmons Whitetail Classic scope 6.5-20X50 for $100 and a $20 rebate from Simmons. I've been looking for a scope, but the prices on the stronger scopes are so highly priced. Please help with any info or a better scope. Thanks for any info!!!

Axxe55 09-07-2012 12:31 AM

Fathead, the Simmons scopes are decent for the price, as they are not the best and not the worst. i have had several different ones over the years, and they are adequate is how i would describe them. for higher magnification scope, i would spend a little more and get a better scope, like the Nikon, Bushnell or Swift. check out MidwayUSA or MidSouth Shooters Supply for some decent prices on scopes. they have excellent service and fast shipping. i use both quite regularly and haven't been disappointed yet.

fmj 09-07-2012 12:34 AM

Best advice i can give...STAY AWAY FROM THE WHITETAIL CLASSIC!!!

Ihad one...emphasis on HAD!

Problem one...good luck mounting it. Its a 60mm objective bell. You will need see thru rings + remove rear sight.

Two, the damn thing is JUNK!! It cost me no less than 4 deer. (yeah, i am slow on the uptake but i HATE to blame equipment) Turns out it WASNT the shooter but the scope that was slinging my lead in every direction but straight.

Fathead00 09-07-2012 01:06 AM

Thanks for the info from both of you!!!

locutus 09-09-2012 03:05 PM

Just my opinion, for however much (or little:D) it's worth.

I wouldn't have a Simmons or Tasco as a gift.

Gatoragn 09-09-2012 03:09 PM

I have a friend that likes his Simmons Aetec, never heard anything good about the rest.

The new Redfield products are a good value and made by my favorite, Leupold. Yes I own Redfields, a couple of the originals and one is of the new variety.

I prefer a 50 mm for deer hunting in low light, just be sure to buy high rings. None of my deer rifles have functional iron sights on them, they were either never present or I removed the front post so it would not be there to snag on stuff.

fmj 09-09-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 934120)
Just my opinion, for however much (or little:D) it's worth.

I wouldn't have a Simmons or Tasco as a gift.

Hell i have a Simmons (model 1012 3-9 x 40) on my 06 and a Tasco on my M/L that have worked GREAT for many, MANY years!

JTJ 09-09-2012 04:32 PM

I had a Simmons break on a 308 bolt. Sent it back and they sent me a new Aetec. It did not last 40 rounds. I do have an old Whitetail Expedition that is on a 223 bolt and has held up. Not a lot of recoil there. I wont buy another Simmons.

fmj 09-09-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 934221)
I had a Simmons break on a 308 bolt. Sent it back and they sent me a new Aetec. It did not last 40 rounds. I do have an old Whitetail Expedition that is on a 223 bolt and has held up. Not a lot of recoil there. I wont buy another Simmons.

might be such a thing as quality has diminished in the years since my simmons was made.

Axxe55 09-09-2012 06:38 PM

i have a couple of Simmons scopes that came on used rifles i bought and seem to work fine for rimfires, but there is next to no recoil on a rimfire, so this could be why they seem to work fine on them. sometimes use them for other rifles until i get a better scope bought or ordered, just to test out the rifle. Simmons would not be my first choice for a scope at all, unless it was for a light recoiling rifle or a rimfire.