?? Simmons point 8, and rings for AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > ?? Simmons point 8, and rings for AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ?? Simmons point 8, and rings for AR

I'm planning on ordering a Simmons Point 8 4x12 40mm scope for seventy dollars for my rra varmint upper. I looked through the same scope in a 3x9x40 at the LGS and it really looked clear and seemed like a nice scope for 70 dollars. I havent been able to look through the 4x12 though. It can be oredered only. I would think the 12 power would cost a little more, but the 3x9 and the 4x12 are priced the same. It makes me wonder if the clarity is as good in the 4x12 as the 3x9 I was able to look through. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I also want to mount this on my AR as low as possible w/o the cantaliever mounts. I want some low profile verticle rings to keep this scope as low as possible. Simmons doesnt give the OD specs of this scope, and am unsure what will clear by how much. I know this scope isn't real high quality, but I can always take it off and stick it on a 17 or 22. if I change my mind. But I'd like to buy some halfway quality rings for the Ar though. Hopefully for around 50 dollars or less. Any ideas or responses would be appreciated. ??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5701 Times on 3223 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

To each his own, I guess/ I wouldn't have a Simmons as GIFT..

Winston Churchill
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

why not, is there problems? The thing felt exceptionally light . But I took it outside the gunstore and was looking at street signs and stuff. It seemed more clear than my 80 dollar big 5 bushnell. Like I said, it felt exceptionally light. It reminded me of the balsa airplanes and rockets I used to do when I was a kid. But I only plan on looking through it, and it seemed good for the price. I'm open for any other reccomendations of scopes also.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5701 Times on 3223 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
why not, is there problems? The thing felt exceptionally light . But I took it outside the gunstore and was looking at street signs and stuff. It seemed more clear than my 80 dollar big 5 bushnell. Like I said, it felt exceptionally light. It reminded me of the balsa airplanes and rockets I used to do when I was a kid. But I only plan on looking through it, and it seemed good for the price. I'm open for any other reccomendations of scopes also.
UHhhhh... your $80 Bushnell????

Ever owned a REAL scope????

Seriously, look at a Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, Burris.

These are the medium quality/price scopes. high quality scopes usually start at somewhere around $500-$600.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, I get it. thanks

Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick
OK, I get it. thanks
I have one, Simmons. Glass is not as clear as my Nikon but it will work for plinking.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm with locutus u get what u pay for always... The least I've ever spent was $400 on a scope & I never had a reason to complain... Although I've been looking at some of the stuff sold by Sight Mark & for the price they are good stuff. At first I was skeptic about them but the warrantee they come with was great, I put a green dot by them on my DE mark XIX .50cal & it held up fine... When I got the sight the quality looked & felt like military grade product & like I said its holding up just fine....

Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #8

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If you're willing to spend a little more for a Simmons, at least get a 44MAG with Side Focus for around $120. I have one and their very good in build and glass. Even old, used Japanese Tasco's for $10 are better Scopes than the 8-Point Simmons.
Go to WalMart and get a Nikon ProStaff in 3-9x40 w/BDC for a great bargain of $169, and you'll be set for Life.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #9

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

The problem w/ BDC is what caliber are they set for? What velosity? They clutter the sight picture more then they help. OP look for a quality 4x32mm. It is going on an AR, not a 8mm Rem Mag. Ifb you can shoot you should be set to 400 yards +.
This would be better for an AR. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/625468/sightron-si-hunter-rifle-scope-175-4x-32mm-duplex-reticle-matte

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

The old Simmons Whitetails were good scopes. Occasionally you can still find one on close out. I wont buy another Simmons other than a Whitetail.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."