sightron siii
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > sightron siii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default sightron siii

So ive been looking at the sightron siii 8-32x56 and the sightron siii 10-50x60 for my ar 10 308. Which one would be better for 600yds to 1000yds and is the lrtd or the lrmoa best.

Last edited by bclark1; 06-01-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Sightron Great buy for the dollars spent. There SII 36xBR , less chance to deal with minor movements you can get with a variable power scope. Check reviews at a long range shooters site to help make a choice. - 6MMBR- http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ive also started to look at the nightforce 12-42x56 but cant decide which reticle would be best. Any help?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just a follow up question. With the windage and elevation turrets why are the extra mil dots and lines necessary and what are they used for?

Old 06-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

First off,I have 5 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes,that's all the magnification that you would ever need shooting out as far as you want. Shooting long range with really high magnification is usually a big negative because of having a mirage issue. If it's going to be a dedicated target shooting rifle,a fixed power scope would also be a better choice,a 10x or 16x would be plenty of scope for you.
Reticle choice depends on what you prefer,but using a Mil-dot or any of the various modified versions of a Mil-dot reticle really helps with hold off points for adjusting for the wind. If you learn how to use a Mil-dot type reticle,you will never use another for shooting/hunting at farther ranges.For target shooting,I like the MOA-2 reticle that I have on 2 of my scopes,the lines are thinner than the standard Mil-dot reticle on my others.

Unless you want a First Focal Plane reticle scope,the Sightron SIII is a great scope with excellent glass,tracking,and repeatability. The Vortex Viper PST is also another good choice,but IMO,the glass isn't as good as Sightron's,but they do have a few more bells & whistles and they do offer First Focal Plane reticles.Another to think about would be the Weaver Tactical series.They have great glass,and are First Focal Plane.
Stepping up to the Nightforce NSX line will offer you an even better class of optics for about double the price,but worth every penny.

If you don't know what the difference between First and Second focal plane reticles,here's a simple explanation.
On a First focal plane,the reticle grows in size along with the target image when you increase the magnification,so your always able to use the same distance between the dots/lines on the reticle.
On a Second focal plane,the reticle size stays the same,and the target image gets bigger with magnification.You need to know what the measurement value for the magnification is to correctly use the reticle for ranging the distance/size of a target/animal. It's simple math,but if your shooting at know distances it is easy to calculate.
Depending on the type of reticle,a First focal plane can interfere with you being able to see the target because the reticle grows in size with the target,you usually don't have this issue with a Second focal plane because only the target image grows in size.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

so the big 10-50x or the 12-42x is not needed

Old 06-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark1 View Post
so the big 10-50x or the 12-42x is not needed
I wouldn't buy one,if you're wanting to see your shots on target buy a quality spotting scope with high magnification range.
There are plenty of long range shooters that shoot with a fixed 10x scope,but if you are wanting a variable power,a 4-20x or 6-24x will be more than enough scope shooting out to 1000 yards.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ok thanks a lot im going to keep researching before i make a decision but as of right now i think im going to stick with the sightron.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6619 Times on 3687 Posts
Likes Given: 6291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I wouldn't buy one,if you're wanting to see your shots on target buy a quality spotting scope with high magnification range.
There are plenty of long range shooters that shoot with a fixed 10x scope,but if you are wanting a variable power,a 4-20x or 6-24x will be more than enough scope shooting out to 1000 yards.

Two very good posts, Tx.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have the nightforce 12-42 BR and it is very rare that I use it on 42x, mirage is a big issue at that magnification. I agree with TX that 6x24 should be fine. You were asking about gradient scope lines and mil dots, they are used to compensate for bullet drop and wind etc.. IMO I have found them to be helpful but unless you put the time in with your rifle and scope they are a rough measure. Some people consider all the extra lines and dots to be clutter.