sighting a red dot scope

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > sighting a red dot scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default sighting a red dot scope

This is prolly a dumb question but here goes. Can a red dot scope be bore sighted like other scopes. I have an older Tasco AccuDot that I want to use on my GSG510 .22. Just wandering.Thanks in advance for any help.Best regards

Ignorance is the most expensive commodity that you can own

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As it seems, that Tasco AccuDot ist similar to my Bushnell Trophy Red Dot.

What I did, was to turn the evelation adjustment up all the way, untill it dosn`t turn anymore. That way it should be centered in the lens.

Then I started to aim high above the bulls eye of my target and just worked my self down, untill I got it centered. I pretty much centered the windage adjustment at home, so that just needed a few clicks to fit.

That was pretty much it. I sighted in my Anschütz 520 (CIL300) in on 50m.

But if you are talking about using a boresighter, I think that wouldn`t really work to well, since you would see two laser dots.
Sighting in the Red Dot took I think 15 or twenty rounds of cheap .22 ammo.

Once you sighted it in, you can then fine tune it to your normal .22 ammo.

An this is from my ammo tests yesterday. 10 rounds on each target.

Last edited by kdog; 10-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks Kdog I'll give it a try when it dries out here in Indiana. Sounds easy enough. I forgot that I had this scope and stumbled on it when cleaning out some old stuff in my workshop. Again thanks for the info. Best regards

Ignorance is the most expensive commodity that you can own

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

just look down the bore and compare to the sight.

another method is to mechanically zero it. count how many stop to stop clicks there are (be careful at the end of the range not to stress the scope adjuster) then divide by 2 move the elevation halfway up and then repeat for windage. windage usually has much less travel than elevation.

another method:
you can also start at 10yards and keep backing up in increments until your close to being off paper. DO NOT adjust at very close range wait as long as possible the further out you are before you adjust the better. only adjust enough to stay on paper as you move back until you get to your desired range then zero.

im not a fan of lasers or collimeters waste of money. a collimeter is handy for a gunsmith that does a LOT of bore sighting.

my favorite method is just looking down the bore.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Any progress yet on sightin gin the Red Dot scope?