Sighting-in issue - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Sighting-in issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Now that's some good input. I wasn't even thinking about parallax.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I see a couple of possible problems. Your scope is parallax set at 100 yards. At 40 yards you may be getting parallax error. Repeatable cheek weld is everything. Your head and eye have to be in the same place for every shot. Even slightly off can shift the poi. Are you mounting to a flat top receiver? What kind of mounts are you using and are they set to center with the irons? Centering to the irons is the optimal height to the center of the scope. You may need to go to a forward offset mount to get proper eye relief. on the picture, the scope is on a forward offset 1 piece mount and is set to center at the height of the irons if they were there. the cheek weld is exactly the same as for the irons and is repeatable.
JTJ, I think you hit the problem. First off, my cheek weld is not the same everytime. The AR came optic ready. When I ordered some Weaver mounts, I didnt realize they were very short. Everytime I prepare to aim, I have to squeeze my face against the rail to have an adequate look through the scope. ESPECIALLY when I adjust to a stronger power! So with that all said, thats probably the issue. I have already ordered high mounts(same product). Ill try to post a pic tomorrow so you have an idea. Gathering from one I mentioned, would you think that may fix my issue?

"Evil prospers when good men do nothing"-John Philpot Curran

Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

shoot 3-5 shots BEFORE and in between making any adjustment on the scope. If your ammo is crappy, or the gun is moving around because of a bad rest or a lack of a rest or shooter error or whatever, or there is whatever problem causing the gun to not be able to group well, then you will be chasing bullet holes forever with your scope adjustments if you only shoot one round and adjust.

make sure all hardware is snugged. do not overtighten. use blue loctite. boresighters from walmart are awesome but the lasers are hard to see in broad daylight. easy solution: boresight at night, then fire on paper the next day. remember the shooting fundamentals. trigger control, breathing control, etc. consistency is key! put the gun in the same spot in the rest, grip with the same pressure, cheek in the same spot, trigger in same spot on your finger, etc. do everything EXACTLY the same for EVERY shot.

if you're still having a hard time getting zeroed, then shoot a group with iron sights or a borrowed scope. don't worry about making adjustments as long as you're on the paper. it doesn't matter where the group is, it just matters how tight it is. you can make adjustments later to move future groups to where you want them. if the groups are terrible with scope and good with irons, then you have a bad scope or something wrong with the way it's mounted. if groups both ways are terrible, then you have a problem with your ammo, the gun itself, or your technique. if the groups are better with the scope than the irons, but they're still terrible, then you really need to work on your technique. at 40 yards, you should be putting 5 shots into one ragged hole. or very close to it.