Sighting-in issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Sighting-in issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sighting-in issue

Hey guys,

Ive been lurking around for almost a year but just now decided to set up an account. Recently I purchased a S&W M&P 15 along with a 3-9x40 Weaver scope. Since I have installed the scope, I have had hell getting the gun sighted in. At 40yds, I couldnt hit the paper at first. Today I finally had it hit center but with the next shot, it would hit as high as 3-4in. The scope(or rifle for all I know) is wanting to shoot high and right and I have tweaked the adjustments so much that Im in a world of pissed off. So with all you can gather from that, would you say is the issue? Gun, scope or shooter? Other than continuing to be patient with it, Im at a loss. I appreciate any help I get.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

My guess would be a little bit of all of the above. Check your scope mounts make sure they aren't loose. I'd recommend getting a laser bore sighter ($25 or so at walmart). Zero in the scope with it and take it to the range. That should get you close and you'll be able to tell if it is the scope,gun or shooter that is the issue.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

you need to make sure everything is nice and tight, I had the same problem with a marilin 30-30 my front mount wasn't screwed down tightly. Also you can over tighten scope mount and hurt the glass or your glass might just be crap sometimes it happens.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #4

Now that you mentioned it, I did have to tighten down the mounts to the receiver after my first day sighting since they were quite loose. Once I had them snug, things really started getting worse. Is there anyway to tell if it has something to do with your glass? I know Weaver isnt top of the line but I wouldnt think they would have much problems with that.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Not that I know of. You may want to take the scope off and re-attach the mounts with some thread lock. Double check the alignment on them and put the scope back in and then bore sight etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default Sighting in a scope

OK, check and make sure scope is installed correctly. Make sure all screws are snug and tight.
Now, take a white piece of cardboard, poster board, or art paper approximately 18 X 18 inches. plus or minus. Take a yard stick and draw a solid black line in the center top to bottom, same thing side to side. Now you have a big cross on your paper. MAKE SURE YOU USE A GUN REST.
Take a friend with you to sight in. Line up you scope cross hairs or dot on the center of the target where the lines cross. Hold that spot, squeeze trigger till gun go's off. Now see where it hit paper. NOW, this is where your friend comes in. take covers off your elevation and windage adjustments on the scope. Line up your scope where you had it before. NOW, hold that position and do not let your rifle move, have your friend GENTLY dial your scope up and down while you give him directions till you have the cross hairs on the spot where you bullet hit.

Your scope is now zeroed in. Now shoot again lining up on the center of the target and slowly SQUEEZE the trigger till it gos off. DONT MAKE YOU GUN GO OFF, LET YOUR GUN GO OFF!! You should hit dead center.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Last edited by Dearhunter; 04-20-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah I guess you could that if you want.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
OK, check and make sure scope is installed correctly. Make sure all screws are snug and tight.
Now, take a white piece of cardboard, poster board, or art paper approximately 18 X 18 inches. plus or minus. Take a yard stick and draw a solid black line in the center top to bottom, same thing side to side. Now you have a big cross on your paper. MAKE SURE YOU USE A GUN REST.
Take a friend with you to sight in. Line up you scope cross hairs or dot on the center of the target where the lines cross. Hold that spot, squeeze trigger till gun go's off. Now see where it hit paper. NOW, this is where your friend comes in. take covers off your elevation and windage adjustments on the scope. Line up your scope where you had it before. NOW, hold that position and do not let your rifle move, have your friend GENTLY dial you scope up and down while you give him directions till you have the cross hairs on the spot where you bullet hit.

Your scope is now zeroed in. Now shoot again lining up on the center of the target and slowly SQUEEZE the trigger till it gos off. DONT MAKE YOU GUN GO OFF, LET YOUR GUN GO OFF!! You should hit dead center.
Thanks DH. I will certainly try this tomorrow!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

I see a couple of possible problems. Your scope is parallax set at 100 yards. At 40 yards you may be getting parallax error. Repeatable cheek weld is everything. Your head and eye have to be in the same place for every shot. Even slightly off can shift the poi. Are you mounting to a flat top receiver? What kind of mounts are you using and are they set to center with the irons? Centering to the irons is the optimal height to the center of the scope. You may need to go to a forward offset mount to get proper eye relief. on the picture, the scope is on a forward offset 1 piece mount and is set to center at the height of the irons if they were there. the cheek weld is exactly the same as for the irons and is repeatable.

ar15.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 04-20-2012 at 02:49 AM.