Short to medium range scope
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Short to medium range scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2794 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 797

Default Short to medium range scope

I was looking for a fixed 2.5x scope for my 357 rifle with a 50 yard parallax. It may not exist. I found some shotgun scopes mostly set at 75 yards. I ordered a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4X32 shotgun scope. I called Bushnell and it has a 50 yard parallax. I would have preferred fixed but this was the closest I found. I like to use the shotgun scopes on 22lr also.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-175-4x32-Trophy-XLT-Shotgun-Scope-P45455.aspx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3832 Times on 2617 Posts
Likes Given: 1912

Consider a prismatic scope, if you don't mind a Picatinny mount. I went with this one, only it is 3x. http://www.amazon.com/SigTac-Compact-Prismatic-Rifle-Scope/dp/B00B6DVKO0 Excellent, very rugged, and illuminated. I don't like shotgun reticles on a rifle, too thick.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:36 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The SigTac has no reference to the parallax setting and only 2.5" of eye relief. I looked at the prismatic scopes and I have a mounting problem. The rifle is an H&R Handi Rifle and the hammer gets in the way. The rifle has a picatiny mount. It would take 6" of eye relief to get it in front of the hammer. I have to use high rings to get a regular scope to clear the hammer. The Bushnell has a circle with fine cross hairs inside. The SigTac looks like it would work great on an AR but I have that covered with a 1-4x24.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3832 Times on 2617 Posts
Likes Given: 1912

I used a Swift scout scope (I think it was 2x) on a Mosin rifle.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There is a difference in a rifle scope with a 100yard parallax when dealing with the best accuracy at short range . I will say its never hurt me taking that short range shot , like 25 yards plus and making a quality bullet placement. I would go ahead and pick a 2-7 -power scope with a 32mm objective and use a 125yard zero and note what it does down to 25 yards and out to 200.

I have a 44mag H&R with a old 2-7 burris and a 308 with a old bushnell 2.5-10 that's my primary creek bottom thick woods rifle since 1976 . Had many very close shots over the years . You do learn with a good cheek placement parallax will only vary a bullet impact by maybe 1/4" to 3/4" at 30 to 40 yards at most . Not good for tree rats but fine for a neck or heart shot on a deer or pig .

If you hand load ,1900fps with a speer 170sp using h110 is more than possible and carries well to 200 225yards . I not a fan of 158gr and lighter . If using a H&R/new england you can load to freedom arms levels and get another 75 yards out of it .

Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I am surprised by the number of people who do not pay attention to parallax, or don't even know what it is.
For short range work I too use variable power shotgun scopes. I have had good luck finding high end scopes on eBay for a reasonable price.
If I need more flexibility I look for a good quality scope with an adjustable objective. By using it to focus on the target (or the distance you expect your target to be at) and then checking the range setting you can get a pretty good estimate of the range to your target.
In this way an AO scope can serve as a range finder.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6668 Times on 3548 Posts
Likes Given: 502

depends on your end needs whether parallax really matters or not. if your doing bullseye where fractions of inches count then you need to set the parralax. if your hunting deer or yote and your target size is the vitals a 1/4 inch of variation really makes no difference.

the vast majority of optic use is hunting. parallax really plays no practical point in typical white tail hunts.

ive got parallax adjustable high end target optics but the vast majority of shooting i do is with nonadjustable optics. it just makes no difference unless your trying to punch x-rings at many different distances

i dont think there are any 75yd parallax optics its typically 25 for rimfire 50 for pistol and shotgun and 100 everything else. 75 is an odd distance for setting parralax in a nonadjustable.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I used a Swift scout scope (I think it was 2x) on a Mosin rifle.
I have a Burris2.75x24 EER scout scope on my Mini 14 with an Ultimak rail. It would be nice if a scout rail was available for the H&R but seeing they are being discontinued I doubt if anyone is interested in making one. I would like to have a Handi Rifle in 9x19 but that isnt going to happen either.

Last edited by JTJ; 04-02-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I bought the Bushnell and I am pretty happy with it. The circle is small and gives very quick acquisition with fine cross hairs for small targets. I might pick up another one for my 10-22.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #10
That looks like it hurt
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1094 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I bought the Bushnell and I am pretty happy with it. The circle is small and gives very quick acquisition with fine cross hairs for small targets. I might pick up another one for my 10-22.
I've used that one on my 45-70 Marlin. It's a very nice accurate scope and tough as nails...the 45-70 recoil never knocked it off of zero. You should be good to go!!