You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

see thru rings, mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Ok you want see through rings to use open sights.

Go look through a 1" PVC pipe that is 12" long and tell me you have the exact same FOV as with unobstructed open sights. YOU DON'T So that to me negates the the use of see through rings.

Every single set I have ever seen mounted came lose. Even ones mounted with blue locktite came lose after shooting a few rounds. Most of them are made so cheap that the Chinese can't even make a profit on them. these are just my views. If you want a scope then use a scope if you want irons then use irons. See through are not a wonder fix all for using both.

Maybe I shouldn't have said best of both worlds. I should have said to get better accuracy and still maintain a wide FOV try looking into a red dot of the one I post in my OP. We are talking a slug gun here 200 yards tops a reddot is plenty accurate for MOD (Minute of Deer) out to 200 yards. We are not talking about shooting 700 to 1k yards here.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I got through to him. He is going to try using a normal scope mount, since hes never actually had to use his iron sights under the mount. And hes going to keep his bushnell and see if the rings were the problem, which they may have been.

What do you guys think of a 40dollar set of quick detach Warne rings?
like this Warne High Scope Rings w/Matte Finish FREE S&H 2TG, 2TM, 2TS. Warne Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

Or would it be better to use permanent ones?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #13

Warne makes some dang fine rings. The quick detach will allow you to take the scope off and put it back on with near zero loss of sight in. It might be slightly off but not enough to worry about on a deer rifle or slug gun.

I think he will be much happier with a nice scope and solid rings.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Warne makes some dang fine rings. The quick detach will allow you to take the scope off and put it back on with near zero loss of sight in. It might be slightly off but not enough to worry about on a deer rifle or slug gun.

I think he will be much happier with a nice scope and solid rings.
When he came over today, thats exactly what I told him. He said from the start that he wanted something he wouldnt need to worry about for the rest of his hunting life. I do think the warne rings will hold up way better than his 'way up high' weaver rings. And when I told him that guys have put these thru some real abuse with no problems, he was sold.

Im glad. you should see the rings he has, they are so high theres no way for a good cheek weld. Also, he says the zero changes alot from year to year, even though he hasnt whacked it off anything. I just think his rings suck.

This said, weird rings and all, May there be a problem with his bushnell trophy shotgun scope???? I guess we wont know until we try.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #15

I have found in mounting scopes that 80+% of scope problems are due to poor mounting or cheap rings.

Why buy a nice gun $500 and a good scope $200+ then put $5 rings and $10 mounts on a rifle?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After he got the gun, he took it to his local gun shop and told them he wanted a scope mount installed, with see thru rings and his bushnell trophy scope on top. We just noticed that the scope wasnt even leveled. Its a good bit crooked.

I swear alot of these places just want your money, and wont tell you if the option you want, isnt the best one. Just because that might dig into their pockets a little.

Ive seen it first hand at a couple places, Its a shame. Because they did a crap job on my dads scope set up.

We will be taking the whole thing down, Refastening the mount, and working up.