see thru rings, mossberg 500
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > see thru rings, mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default see thru rings, mossberg 500

Im getting a scope set up for my dads mossberg 500, which he only shoots slugs and heavy turkey loads from. So theres alot of recoil.

He wants see thru rings so he can use the irons in case a deer or turkey comes very close.

Do you guys have any suggestions on who makes good see thru rings, and where to get them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As of now, I only see weaver and leupold.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Yeah DON'T get them. They are worthless.

1. They put the scope up to high unless you add height to the comb of the stock. You will not get proper cheek weld and shooting will be POOR.
2. They restrict your sight picture so much that it makes them worthless for up close work. If he want to be able to see up close get a low powered scope like a 1-4x24mm Bushnell trophy XLT. Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope

They also loosen up much more than regular scope rings.

I would get the best of both worlds and get a red dot like the Aimpoint Micro Aimpoint Micro H-1 Red Dot Sight or an EOTech SWFA EOTech Holosights EOTech Tactical Holosights

Old 12-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I would get the best of both worlds and get a red dot like the Aimpoint Micro Aimpoint Micro H-1 Red Dot Sight or an EOTech SWFA EOTech Holosights EOTech Tactical Holosights
How's a non magnified sight the "best of both worlds" between iron sights and a magnified scope? The whole point of using a scope is to bring your targets closer, extending the effective range of your rifle/shotgun/pistol.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I have this setup on my 30-06. While holding your head off the cheek weld is different, it's doable, and not so bad once you get used to it with some practice. This is just my .02. Some people however, loathe my setup. I've used this setup for 3 years now and I am very comfortable with it, so much so, that I put a red dot on a .308 and went back to using my 30-06, simply for the fact that I am used to the see through rings more. I mean, it's deer hunting, not downtown Mogadishu, I'm not running a 4x magnifier with a 45 degree rail and a doctor optic on the side for "close in deer work"

Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2016 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
How's a non magnified sight the "best of both worlds" between iron sights and a magnified scope? The whole point of using a scope is to bring your targets closer, extending the effective range of your rifle/shotgun/pistol.
You are talking about a shotgun not a long range rifle. A red dot would be effective at shotgun ranges. If you want both, get a Leupold 1x4 with fire dot or similar scope of a different brand. It will give you a 1x red dot and a 4x with or with out red dot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is my dad here, he doesnt really mind hunting with the high scope, like Mosin.

I asked him, how is your cheek weld (thinking it may not be comfortable for him)? He said, "Ive killed about 15 deer with it, its fine with me" Its not my thing, as I like my face planted on the stock, but its his gun. And he uses it to kill deer, and not shoot groups at the range, until its pre hunting season sight in time.

Just to humor me, would You pick the weaver or leupold? Because Im not sure I can talk him out of it.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You are talking about a shotgun not a long range rifle.
The OP was the one talking about a scope and rigs for shotguns, but it doesn't really matter who was talking. Shotguns shooting slugs can benefit from the extended range and improved accuracy a scope provides. I was asking how a red dot sight is a compromise between a magnified scope and no-magnified open sights. I'm also not looking for a scope or red dot sight and I wouldn't use a 1x power anything on my rifles. I prefer high powered scopes and I have my firearms equipped the way I want them.

Quote:
Just to humor me, would You pick the weaver or leupold?
I don't have any experience with either brand of scope. I've read a lot of good things about the Leupold, but so much on the Weaver. The few Weaver posts I've read were positive, just not as many as the Leupold.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2016 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
The OP was the one talking about a scope and rigs for shotguns, but it doesn't really matter who was talking. Shotguns shooting slugs can benefit from the extended range and improved accuracy a scope provides. I was asking how a red dot sight is a compromise between a magnified scope and no-magnified open sights. I'm also not looking for a scope or red dot sight and I wouldn't use a 1x power anything on my rifles. I prefer high powered scopes and I have my firearms equipped the way I want them.

I don't have any experience with either brand of scope. I've read a lot of good things about the Leupold, but so much on the Weaver. The few Weaver posts I've read were positive, just not as many as the Leupold.
Both are good scopes. I believe Leupold has more choices. The Leupold Fire Dot scopes are available in other magnifications. You were inferring shotgun use at close range for turkey and longer range for deer so I posted the 1-4x. I am looking at the Fire Dots for my AR and Mini 30.
SWFA Leupold Hunting Riflescopes Leupold VX-R Riflescopes

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
BYou were inferring shotgun use at close range for turkey and longer range for deer so I posted the 1-4x.
Again, you seem to be confusing me with Pjj342 as I never mentioned any animals.