Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > SEAL scopes????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Well gang, the preliminary results are in. I got the scope in today, and at first was not too thrilled. It was a little hazy up at the higher powers. I got it mounted and that made a huge difference. Once I got the eye relief correct, it was clear at all powers, but sure it is clearer at the lower powers. Got it bore sighted, and then loaded my first round. I fired a 2 shot group that was about 8 inches high. I stopped at 2 because they were only about 3/4" away. I made the corrections on the turrets and my third shot was 1" left of bulleyes. I fired another round and it was 1" left and 1/2" high of bulleyes. I made the correction on the turret and the next shot was a bullseye. I was shooting at a "shoot and see" target and the bullseye is only 3/4". It was cool to get a 1" group just after zeroing. Well my dumb butt kept shooting, and the factory barrel heated up something fierce. My next three shot group was also 1" but it was 2" right and 1" high of the first group. I went and cleaned my rifle and let it cool for an hour. I went back out and shot one round at 100 yards just to reconfirm my zero. It was a perfect center hit on the bullseye. I went out to 300 yrds. spun the turret 26 clicks and hit within 1" of the last shot. Just to check the turrets, i went back to 100 yards, spun the turret back to zero and fired a near bullseye. It was maybe 1/4" away. All I can say is for now I am happy with this cheap scope. I have no idea how long it might last, but for now it seems to work just fine. In all fairness, it is not as clear as my Nikon but for the money I am truly impressed. It is as clear as my Bushnell, and it is a heck of a clearer than my buddies Barska SWAT. I am waiting for it to get completely dark and I will take it outside and see what I can see in the dark. This is important to me since I hunt pigs at night. My Nikon was always good for this out to about 75 yards, lets see what the SEALs can show me. Anyway, for the money I give it two thumbs up. It has only had 11 round of 7mm Mag to deal with so far, so I have no idea how it will hold up in the long run, but so far I am pleased.

I had it on a Remington 700 sps in 7mm Rem Mag. Leupold base and rings shooting Winchester Balistic silvertip 150 grn.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I'm glad your happy with it. I have had no problems out of mine,and it has served me well.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I took it out to 400 yards yesterday, and was able to hit 2 center mass shots on my steel half siloette targets. Actually both shots hit the 2" x 3" center section I have painted. I am impressed with this cheap scope. I think now my best friend is going to buy one as well.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #14

Hey Truevil,
I have a seals scope in 8by32. I just got it and have been trying to find out something about it on the web. Following your thread has been a real help, thanks. The scope is mounted now, but I think I will take it to my gunsmith in Simonton, Texas and have it tuned up.
BigMaxx

Old 05-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Well I was hopping to get more than 2 responses, and only one with first hand knowledge. I guess in a week or two I will pick one up and try it out. I will let you all know what I think. I sure wish JD would have weighed in on this.
Sorry Brother, not only did I miss this thread, I don't know jack about the product in question.

Sounds like you found yourself a little gem of a bargain scope though.

Nice job.

KD

Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JD, No worries. This scope is a Nightforce copy by a Japanese company. It is nowhere near as clear as a Nightforce, but then again it is nowhere near the price of a Nightforce. It was something I wanted to try out, and so far I am impressed with the $275 scope. My plan is to keep using this scope on the 7Mag for a little while, until I can save up enough coin to pay cash for a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x 50 or 56.( should be only about 2 months, and the 7 is still at the smith for at least 5-6 more weeks). Which would you recomend, the 50 or 56? Will it make that big of a difference having 6mm bigger objective?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JD, I forgot, I got the book in on Monday, and I have not been able to put it down yet. Man there is sooooo much info in there. Some of it I already know, but wow there is sooo much I have never thought of. The Ultimate Sniper is very much worth the money and time, every rifle shooter should read this book. Thanks for the recomendation JD.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Which would you recomend, the 50 or 56? Will it make that big of a difference having 6mm bigger objective?
I would recommend another scope to he honest... LOL

Nightforce are nice scopes, but they are hell on the wallet and they aren't THAT much friggin better. We are talking 10%, maybe 20% better than something like Leupold, but for almost twice the cash.

That kind of money would be better spent on Schmidt & Bender to be honest. I think they make the best scope, hands down, on the market. The only problem is they cost an arm, a leg and your first born.

The 56mm is the cat's meow right now - everyone wants one, but there aren't a whole lot of mounts that can accept them at the moment. Those that do, are going to cost you a couple of hundred per.

With the 50mm, you will get all the light transmission that you need and you have a much wider range of mounts you can use.

Glad you are enjoying the book. It really is an excellent read, and even after you read it, you will find yourself re-reading parts of it to refresh your memory. A TON of really excellent rifle and shooting information contained in those pages.

The only question is: How hard are you kicking yourself for waiting almost a year to order the damn thing?

JD

Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

the best of the best top of the heap is being taken over by a very small company out of Japan. From what I have heard it is one guy and he hands builds all the scopes. I know of only one place that sells them Kelby's and they don't have a price on them on the web site.

March Scopes come in a few flavors now and have some hefty wins under their belts.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JD, i am glad i did not buy the book a year ago. I am the type of person that gets completely involved almost to the point of obsesion, when I start doing something. A year ago, i did not have the money to take my rifle to the gunsmith, nor the money to be looking at high dollar scopes, so it just would have been one hell of a tease to read this book a year ago.
I really like the Nightforce, and for $1,600 IMO it is the best bang for the buck. I was looking at USO, but they are like a grand more than the Nightforce.
Hell, if i had all of the money in the world, i would put a day/night scope on the 7, and there would be a lot of dead pigs(wild hogs,,,,NOT cops) around here.
I dont get the part about not a whole lot of mounts for a 56mm. I have a picatinny rail mount and I have two different sets of rings. One set is 1/2" high and the other set is 1" high. One of these sets of rings should be able to mount the 56mm. It is only 3mm bigger in each direction, so if my 50mm had 6mm space from the barrel, then a 56mm would have 3mm space right?