Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scout Scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 848 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 331

I can speak for the Leupold LER. Very clear, easy acquisition, and durable. Just not cheap!

Fits nice on my M1A scout...

image-619439988.jpg  

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex
I can speak for the Leupold LER. Very clear, easy acquisition, and durable. Just not cheap! Fits nice on my M1A scout...
Might I ask what exact model of Leupold that is? It looks to be fixed power, is it? Its a BEAUTIFUL rifle!! I love the camo stock! I just purchased a scout squad in the walnut stock that is at this very moment being shipped to my local FFL. I am BRIMMING with anticipation!!!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump
Might I ask what exact model of Leupold that is? It looks to be fixed power, is it? Its a BEAUTIFUL rifle!! I love the camo stock! I just purchased a scout squad in the walnut stock that is at this very moment being shipped to my local FFL. I am BRIMMING with anticipation!!!
Thanks!
I have been very pleased with the scope. Quick release base is handy, too.
image-4132879004.jpg  

Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks! I have been very pleased with the scope. Quick release base is handy, too.
Ok so it is fixed. What would you consider the max effective range? Is it good for deer? How is the aquisition of targets? & lastly, I hope you dont mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Sorry for the MANY questions! LOL

Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Ok so it is fixed. What would you consider the max effective range? Is it good for deer? How is the aquisition of targets? & lastly, I hope you dont mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Sorry for the MANY questions! LOL
Yes, fixed.
Very easy acquisition!
My eyesight allows a consistent 3" group of 10 rounds at 100yds. The .308 round is flat way past that.
I believe I paid around $300 to my door.
No problem with the questions.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, fixed. Very easy acquisition! My eyesight allows a consistent 3" group of 10 rounds at 100yds. The .308 round is flat way past that. I believe I paid around $300 to my door. No problem with the questions.
I'm thinkin I may go with the Leupold VX II Variable Scout Scope 1.5-4 X 28. The reason is I'd like the option of having a little more magnification if I need to "reach out there".

Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I'm thinkin I may go with the Leupold VX II Variable Scout Scope 1.5-4 X 28. The reason is I'd like the option of having a little more magnification if I need to "reach out there".
I am confident you will enjoy the rifle/scope combination.
I made several range trips prior to putting the scope on to align and use the iron.
With quick release mount, able to use iron in a scope failure situation...with zombies....

Old 11-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #18

Liked 238 Times on 169 Posts

I have been researching the same thing. I am thinking of adding the XS rail made for the Ruger Scout, and then mounting a traditional 1-4 scope with it. That way there are many more options to choose from. You can put any scope you'd like with some quick release mounts, and remove the scope to use iron sights as you choose.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #19

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Burris now has a 2-7x Scout scope that can be had with their BDC type reticle. The Leatherwood Hi Lux 2-7x Scout scope (with duplex reticle) is a great scope for the money, about $130 from Midway.I used Tactical solutions Q.D. rings (also from Midway, $45). They look identical to Warne Q.D. rings, but being aluminum are way lighter than the Warne's. I put the Leatherwood with the Tactical Solutions Q.D. rings on my GSR, as I wanted the option of more magnification for longer shooting, and the Q.D. rings in case I had to use the factory irons at some point. Both have held up great. I'm getting the Ultimak rail for my Mini at the end of the week, many advantages to have the forward mounted optic.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog
Burris now has a 2-7x Scout scope that can be had with their BDC type reticle. The Leatherwood Hi Lux 2-7x Scout scope (with duplex reticle) is a great scope for the money, about $130 from Midway.I used Tactical solutions Q.D. rings (also from Midway, $45). They look identical to Warne Q.D. rings, but being aluminum are way lighter than the Warne's. I put the Leatherwood with the Tactical Solutions Q.D. rings on my GSR, as I wanted the option of more magnification for longer shooting, and the Q.D. rings in case I had to use the factory irons at some point. Both have held up great. I'm getting the Ultimak rail for my Mini at the end of the week, many advantages to have the forward mounted optic.
I'll have to check out the Burris. As for the Leatherwood Hi-Lux, I seen a couple of reviews on Youtube about the low light performance being less than favorable, & I need a scope with "decent" performance in that area because I plan to hunt deer with it.