Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scout Scope?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruggieTex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rural Virginia
Posts: 1,229
Liked 848 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Default

I can speak for the Leupold LER. Very clear, easy acquisition, and durable. Just not cheap!


Fits nice on my M1A scout...

image-619439988.jpg  
__________________

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

TruggieTex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
capnklump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sportsmans Paradise
Posts: 141
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex
I can speak for the Leupold LER. Very clear, easy acquisition, and durable. Just not cheap! Fits nice on my M1A scout...
Might I ask what exact model of Leupold that is? It looks to be fixed power, is it? Its a BEAUTIFUL rifle!! I love the camo stock! I just purchased a scout squad in the walnut stock that is at this very moment being shipped to my local FFL. I am BRIMMING with anticipation!!!
__________________
capnklump is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruggieTex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rural Virginia
Posts: 1,229
Liked 848 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump
Might I ask what exact model of Leupold that is? It looks to be fixed power, is it? Its a BEAUTIFUL rifle!! I love the camo stock! I just purchased a scout squad in the walnut stock that is at this very moment being shipped to my local FFL. I am BRIMMING with anticipation!!!
Thanks!
I have been very pleased with the scope. Quick release base is handy, too.
image-4132879004.jpg  
__________________

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

TruggieTex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
capnklump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sportsmans Paradise
Posts: 141
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex
Thanks! I have been very pleased with the scope. Quick release base is handy, too.
Ok so it is fixed. What would you consider the max effective range? Is it good for deer? How is the aquisition of targets? & lastly, I hope you dont mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Sorry for the MANY questions! LOL
__________________
capnklump is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruggieTex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rural Virginia
Posts: 1,229
Liked 848 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump
Ok so it is fixed. What would you consider the max effective range? Is it good for deer? How is the aquisition of targets? & lastly, I hope you dont mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Sorry for the MANY questions! LOL
Yes, fixed.
Very easy acquisition!
My eyesight allows a consistent 3" group of 10 rounds at 100yds. The .308 round is flat way past that.
I believe I paid around $300 to my door.
No problem with the questions.
__________________

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

TruggieTex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
capnklump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sportsmans Paradise
Posts: 141
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex
Yes, fixed. Very easy acquisition! My eyesight allows a consistent 3" group of 10 rounds at 100yds. The .308 round is flat way past that. I believe I paid around $300 to my door. No problem with the questions.
I'm thinkin I may go with the Leupold VX II Variable Scout Scope 1.5-4 X 28. The reason is I'd like the option of having a little more magnification if I need to "reach out there".
__________________
capnklump is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruggieTex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rural Virginia
Posts: 1,229
Liked 848 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump
I'm thinkin I may go with the Leupold VX II Variable Scout Scope 1.5-4 X 28. The reason is I'd like the option of having a little more magnification if I need to "reach out there".
I am confident you will enjoy the rifle/scope combination.
I made several range trips prior to putting the scope on to align and use the iron.
With quick release mount, able to use iron in a scope failure situation...with zombies....
__________________

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

TruggieTex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CardiacColt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 596
Liked 238 Times on 169 Posts

Default

I have been researching the same thing. I am thinking of adding the XS rail made for the Ruger Scout, and then mounting a traditional 1-4 scope with it. That way there are many more options to choose from. You can put any scope you'd like with some quick release mounts, and remove the scope to use iron sights as you choose.

__________________
CardiacColt68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sandog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montana
Posts: 312
Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Burris now has a 2-7x Scout scope that can be had with their BDC type reticle. The Leatherwood Hi Lux 2-7x Scout scope (with duplex reticle) is a great scope for the money, about $130 from Midway.I used Tactical solutions Q.D. rings (also from Midway, $45). They look identical to Warne Q.D. rings, but being aluminum are way lighter than the Warne's. I put the Leatherwood with the Tactical Solutions Q.D. rings on my GSR, as I wanted the option of more magnification for longer shooting, and the Q.D. rings in case I had to use the factory irons at some point. Both have held up great. I'm getting the Ultimak rail for my Mini at the end of the week, many advantages to have the forward mounted optic.

__________________
sandog is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
capnklump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sportsmans Paradise
Posts: 141
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog
Burris now has a 2-7x Scout scope that can be had with their BDC type reticle. The Leatherwood Hi Lux 2-7x Scout scope (with duplex reticle) is a great scope for the money, about $130 from Midway.I used Tactical solutions Q.D. rings (also from Midway, $45). They look identical to Warne Q.D. rings, but being aluminum are way lighter than the Warne's. I put the Leatherwood with the Tactical Solutions Q.D. rings on my GSR, as I wanted the option of more magnification for longer shooting, and the Q.D. rings in case I had to use the factory irons at some point. Both have held up great. I'm getting the Ultimak rail for my Mini at the end of the week, many advantages to have the forward mounted optic.
I'll have to check out the Burris. As for the Leatherwood Hi-Lux, I seen a couple of reviews on Youtube about the low light performance being less than favorable, & I need a scope with "decent" performance in that area because I plan to hunt deer with it.
__________________
capnklump is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
M1 A Scout Scope Lightbourne Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 6 07-05-2012 12:19 AM
Scope for Ruger Scout? TraderJack General Rifle Discussion 0 11-27-2011 09:13 PM
Scout Scope for an 8mm Mauser (S/42K GEW 98) ArmyGuy General Rifle Discussion 2 07-30-2011 07:50 PM
Scout Rifle Scope MattWMB General Rifle Discussion 1 07-18-2011 04:51 PM
Scout Rifle Scope jeepcreep927 Optics & Mounts 1 10-25-2009 04:32 PM