Scopes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scopes

I am new at this, so please forgive me for being naive. I purchased my first rifle and now I have to figure what kind of scope fits me best. Gun time is going to be split between hunting and target. I figured if I set the gun up for target, it would be accurate in the field. Are there certain things I should look for in a scope? Is the most powerful always the best? What do you guys use and why? Any advice would be appreciated and heeded. I don't want to blow a lot of money on a scope that is not practical.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #2

Hey Jac,

First of all congrats on getting into this great sport! We need all the support we can get.... Definetely need more info from you.

You need to
1. Identify the calibre of firearm you are getting a scope for.
2. Do you plan on shooting long range or short range.
3. What is the terrain where you plan to hunt, for instance a long range scope would be impracticle in hilly/woodsy terrain where most shots are under 100 yds, and a short range scope would leave you short if say you are shooting coyotes across a vast open space.

Figure out your needs/budget and you can narrow down your choices!

I have a variety of scopes on different rifles and shotguns, but each is for a seperate use. My advice would be to not spend the money on a top of the line scope with many do dads and feature, but rather buy a mid grade reliable performer until you get more into the hobby!

I am surely not the expert and from personal experience there are some great people using this site that can give you great advice! You will like it here for sure! Let me know some more info, and I and others can steer you in the right direction.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #3

The piece I bought is a Remington 700P
308cal
26" barrel
12" twist
I am going to be relocating back to New England so there will be a fair amount of close range shooting and woodsy situations, but plenty of open field shots also. I am looking forward to bringing my father out west for some larger game also.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get a DECENT quality 3x-9x-40mm scope such as Nikon and you'll be equipped for any shot you'll ever need to take.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #5

Much appreciated guys.