Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   scopes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/scopes-64299/)

cam1978 05-11-2012 11:57 PM

scopes

i want to buy a new scope for a 223. whats a good one without breaking the bank?

canebrake 05-12-2012 12:31 AM

On what rifle? It matters. :o

cam1978 05-13-2012 03:57 PM

savage predator 10

jmac2387 05-13-2012 05:43 PM

What is breaking the bank?

Triumphman 05-13-2012 06:55 PM

If you have a WalMart in your area that sells guns/ammo they should have some Nikon ProStaffs, Leupolds and Bushnells. However, if those aren't what your looking for, look to Redfield Revolution or Revelation(new scope that just came out) and Weaver V16 Classic. There's also Vortex, Clearridge, Mueller, Bsa, Burris, and others.
Del

locutus 05-13-2012 09:01 PM

There's also Leupold and Nikon.:)

huffmanite 05-14-2012 09:19 PM

Hard to believe, but I recommend you take a look at the BSA Majestic DX hunter series of scopes. Have one on my Savage Axis 223. You should find them priced under $150. Higher power ones have side focus. Have a couple of the 6-24x44 Majestic DXs on centerfire rifles that I bought from Grafs and Sons due to them having lowest price I could find at the time. As for the optics in the Majestic DX, mine are bright and clear edge to edge at any power and I've no complaints on the adjustments in mine. The Majestic DX is one of their newest scopes, has a better warranty than earlier scopes. Yea its a BSA and standard response to BSA is "its junk". Perhaps their lowest end scopes are junk, don't know, have never bought one. Last 7 scopes I've bought within last two years are 4 different models of BSA, all being in BSA's higher priced scopes. LOL, $110 to $180 were their cost. Hey, just a retired guy here on a limited shooting budget that buys rifles on the cheap and his scopes too. Have found the Majestic DXs to be a decent scope, as were the other models I've bought.

locutus 05-16-2012 05:42 PM

A good "Rule of Thumb" is the scope should cost close to the same price as the rifle, or perhaps a little more. :)

Txhillbilly 05-17-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 803834)
A good "Rule of Thumb" is the scope should cost close to the same price as the rifle, or perhaps a little more. :)

I guess my "rule of thumb" is wrong,most of my optics cost 2-7x what the gun they are on cost.
You can't shoot,what you can't see!

You want to buy the best scope that you can afford,and don't be afraid to buy used higher end scopes.You can get some good deals on higher end optics if you do your homework.
There are also some great deals to be found on discontinued models of scopes.I recently bought 2-Weaver Classic Extreme scopes that were the top of the line of Weaver scopes.The Super Slam replaced it,and I paid less than 1/2 of what they originally sold for.

Let's face it,We would all love to have a S&B,Premier,US Optics,or other extreme high end optic,but unless you have a bottomless bank account,they are mostly a dream.
But to just get a cheap scope in order to shoot your gun is just wasting money in my opinion.Save up your money and get a decent scope for it.
Buy once,Cry once!

Muliemaster 05-17-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

I guess my "rule of thumb" is wrong,most of my optics cost 2-7x what the gun they are on cost.
You can't shoot,what you can't see!

You want to buy the best scope that you can afford,and don't be afraid to buy used higher end scopes.You can get some good deals on higher end optics if you do your homework.
There are also some great deals to be found on discontinued models of scopes.I recently bought 2-Weaver Classic Extreme scopes that were the top of the line of Weaver scopes.The Super Slam replaced it,and I paid less than 1/2 of what they originally sold for.

Let's face it,We would all love to have a S&B,Premier,US Optics,or other extreme high end optic,but unless you have a bottomless bank account,they are mostly a dream.
But to just get a cheap scope in order to shoot your gun is just wasting money in my opinion.Save up your money and get a decent scope for it.
Buy once,Cry once!

I guess im wrong to then buy the best u can an then u wont have to cry about the cheap junk, even if it takes a year of saving its worth it