Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > scope sighting in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scope sighting in

having trouble sighting in scope any suggestions never used scope before

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #2

Make sure everything is tight rail,rings,etc

Old 01-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Need more info. What kind of scope, what kind of firearm? What are you sighting on, and at what distance? Are you shooting groups and then adjusting, or are you "chasing the scope"?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #4

Liked 977 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 540

btw. you posted this in the wrong section

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #5

I started at 25-30 yards then gradually moved back that has seemed to help me. Get a target wade enough to see where you are to that helps a lot. I used a few poster sized cardboard. Have a friend spot ya to if you haven't.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I like to set everything on the scope to the middle of the travel, windage wise, and then mount the scope in the middle of the hardware screws, using a laser boresighter, indoors. Then also with the laser boresighter, adjust the elevation so that the + is the exact height of the mounted scope over the bore on the wall about 10 ft away.

That gives you a prefectly zeroed scope setting to start with. It will ensure that everything is set to center, and that you are on target with your first shot.

You can use lock-tight or clear fingernail polish then to firmly set the screws, one at a time, once you know where they are supposed to be set. That is the second step. Once all the screws are lock-tight-ed, you can re-check the settings with the laser bore sighter again.

Then go to the range and start close, but only adjust the L/R windage, as long as the high/low impact is on the target somewhere.

Your first adjustments for drop should be at 100 yards, but at that distance you normally would want the impact about 1 to 2 inches high, depending on what distance you want to zero at. Most hunters zero at 250 to 300 yards.

Note that with a 300 yd zero, your impact at 150 yds will be the highest on the target, which is the peak of the parabola of flight of the bullet.

A bullet is like an arrow, it flies in an arc. Just a very small arc for the first few hundred yards.

Fire 3 round groups, and take the center of the triangle they form, as your point of impact for adjustment. If the rounds touch, then you know that you have got a really good gun and/or you are a really "good" shooter. Rarely will they touch though, not without a lot of practice.

Once the scope is set, then clean the rifle, and bring it back to the range the next day, and see where it fires on the first cold shot, to see if there is much if any of a difference. With some guns, there is a big difference. Other guns have little or no difference. With hunting, it is normally the first cold shot that matters.

Once everything is set, at the range, the second time, then bring your gun home, and put the laser boresighter back on it, and see how far off it is from the theoretical center. There is usually a difference, since the bullet spin is like prop wash on a boat, and steers the bullet slightly down range.

Then record everything, so that you can re-set this setting later on, and in subsequent years.

That's how I bore sight my scoped .300 RUM.

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-15-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Tagging this for later.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #8

shooting a rossi tri fecta .22 and 243 started at 25 yards the 22 is under the cross hairs cant seem to get them to meet the 243 not even on paper using a bsa 4x32 for the 22 and a bushnell 3-9x40 for the 243

Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #9

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky5251 View Post
shooting a rossi tri fecta .22 and 243 started at 25 yards the 22 is under the cross hairs cant seem to get them to meet the 243 not even on paper using a bsa 4x32 for the 22 and a bushnell 3-9x40 for the 243
I would not expect both bullets to impact together ever.

They have completely different ballistic coefficients and spin characteristics.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2285 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

I thought that there was a section in the optics or rifle area that explained how.

This section is for suggestions to the FTF and how to make it better, or to report problems with the FTF.

This subject does neither.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC