Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope for Remmy 700 .308 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Scope for Remmy 700 .308 build

There are so many choices out there for scopes and just when I think Ive decided, I read an article and it changes everything I thought I wanted. I'm looking for a quality optic for a Remington 700 sps varmint in .308. Its been restocked with a Bell and Carlson, trigger job, action squared and trued, hand lapped factory barrell, etc....Ive been looking at the leupold mark 4 lrts, vortex, zeiss, and swarovski. My goals are to be able to accurately and consistently shoot 1000 yds and under. Id liked to keep the bell size under 50mm. Target turrets are a must and adjustable parallax. Would like to have mildot reticle or something similar. Not really dead set on one reticle or another. Would like to keep price on or around $1000. I really just want a great quality optic that I'll be pleased with now and further down the road. Any suggestions would be great!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19852 Times on 11275 Posts
Likes Given: 50042

1000 yards is a long ways. you might be able to get it done for around $1000 for a scope, but i really feel to accurately shoot at those distances, you are going to have to step up in the money department. check out the Sightron scopes, Nightforce, the Vortex Viper series, some of the Leupold scopes. when you get past 500-600 yrds and start towards 800 plus in yrds, this is where money spent on a scope will be money well spent. the scope i am going to use on my custom built target rifle is going to be the 12-42x56mm Nightforce NSX, cost is $1980 for the scope and scope bases are another $230. when you want to be able to shoot at those distances, you can't hit what you can't see, and the quality of the optics that will enable you to see clearly, are very expensive.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ive looked at the vortex viper and leupold mark 4 lrt scopes. What variable zoom would u suggest? bell size? And I like the simplicity of your statement "you can't shoot what you cant see." Thats very valid and oh so true.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -unknown-

Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1113 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Nothing against Leupold scopes,but they are "WAY" overpriced for what you get.They seem to think the Mark 4 line to be better than Nightforce,IOR-Valdada,Zeiss Diavari,or other Highend tactical scopes. Their not anywhere near the same class.
They make great hunting scopes,but they are also overpriced for what you get in today's market.

Scopes have come a long way in the last decade or two.There are so many different scopes on the market,it will make you dizzy trying to look at all of them.

Choose whether you want a 1st or 2nd focal plane reticle.If you will primarily be shooting at known distances,I'd just get a 2nd focal plane-they're a lot cheaper,and work just as good.First focal plane reticles will be easier to range object in the field,but only the higher end scopes offer FFP.
I have both types,and it's just as easy to use the SFP scopes for me,that's what I'm used to anyway.

Since your wanting to step out to 1000yds,I'd stick with a 30mm or bigger maintube,most 1" tubes can't offer enough vertical adjustment,and you'll need it to get out that far in most cases.

There are several brands that will fit in or near your budget,that I'd look at-

Sightron SIII-
I have 4 of these scopes,and they are the best long range scope on the market for under $1k. They have excellent tracking,glass,100 moa of adjustment,solid clicks,very good eye relief.This year they offered some new reticles,and have matching reticle/turrets in either MOA or MIL,as well as having exposed turrets,they still offer the capped turrets also. I have the 6-24x50 with Mil-Dot and MOA-2 reticles.

Vortex Viper & Viper PST-
I've looked at the 6-24x50 Viper,but passed on it and bought another SIII.It was a quality scope,but not what I wanted.
The Viper PST is supposed to be IT! I just have never seen one in person,nobody ever has one in stock-they're on back-order every time I try to locate one to look at.

Weaver Super Slam Tactical-
There are a lot of guy's bragging about these scopes.30mm tube,FFP,great glass,tracking.Plus you can get them for around $1k
I put a standard Super Slam 3-15x50 on my 458 SOCOM,and it is a very good scope with some nice features,but the standard model has a 1" tube not a 30mm.
The glass that Weaver uses is right up there with the glass in my Sightrons.Just not as good.

Zeiss Conquest-
The glass in Zeiss scopes rock.All of their ranging reticles suck,IMO.It's so busy trying to look through them,it'll make you dizzy.
And they only make one model of Conquest with a 30mm tube,a 4.5-14x,and if I'm shooting at targets at 1000,I want a little more power for my old tired eyes,but it works for many people.

Super Sniper-
The guy's at SWFA came out with a long range tactical scope.There have been very good reviews on it,in several other forums.
It's close to your price range,and you might take a look at it on SWFA retail site,or read some reviews on it.

There are probably several other brands that will work,but these are my personal picks.
I know the Sightrons will serve you well,if you decide on a Sightron or Weaver,PM me and I'll let you know where you can save some money on them.

Last edited by Txhillbilly; 02-13-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks much for the input man. I will take all that into account as this scope selection has and will be a long process for me. I like to research and do things right the first time rather than regretting it later.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -unknown-

Old 02-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #6

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I would at least go with a 40mm or even a 50mm objective in scope for 1000 yards. The light and resolution thing. If your eyes are still young a 40 mm will probably do. My theory on long range scopes is to buy once and cry once. So if you have to save for awhile so be it. I would go with a Night Force FFP In MIL/MIL if you could. But thats just my opinion. I run Premier Reticles 5-25X56. A bit fatiguing for even my bare eyes but the resolution is very, very good @ 1000 and I use dark shooting glasses while in bright lit conditions (resolution still super good) and it's no problem. I find @ 1000 yards the magnifacation in around 20 to 22. So the range up to 25 power is working good for me.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-13-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #7

both Hillbilly and mrm14 have made some valid points for you to consider in your scope choice. i like and agree with mrm14 in his idea of spending that type of money once. another recommendation is to spend the money on quality rings and bases. my choice for the Nightforce rings and intregal bases are two reasons, one, they are of one piece, so one less area of movement, two, the have 20 MOA of elevation already built into the front, plus a nice feature of a recoil tang to eliminate any lateral shift in the bases. don't cheap out in the rings and bases when mounting a very expensive and high quality scope.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

I would have to 2nd the Nightforce MLR F1. I am a little biased as I own two. Would use anything else at that price point. Whatever you end up getting just make sure your turrets match your reticle. Mil=mil or MOA=MOA.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha11 View Post
Ive looked at the vortex viper and leupold mark 4 lrt scopes. What variable zoom would u suggest? bell size? And I like the simplicity of your statement "you can't shoot what you cant see." Thats very valid and oh so true.
when you start getting into the longer ranges of shooting, optical clarity depends on optical quality, which comes down to money. $1000 will still buy you an extremely nice quality of scope, and might get you into the ranges you are suggesting, but higher magnification scopes in the 10X plus range of magnification are going to be very expensive if quality optics are desired. i have an 8-32x56 on my budget 308 target rifle, and it works great out to around 400-500 yards, but for the custom target rifle i am having built in 6.5mm-06, i know it will never be able to work at those distances. so i had decided a while back, to take mrm14's advice, buy once, cry once and just buy a quality scope that would fit my needs, and found out that through some research, that i would need to spend in excess of $1500 to get what i needed.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #10

Check out this one. I like the options and the brand
http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/48794

It is also under a grand with free shipping