Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Scope with REALLY long eye relief (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/scope-really-long-eye-relief-73347/)

12fretter 09-28-2012 04:54 PM

Scope with REALLY long eye relief

I can't find anything that will work on my Mosin Nagant M44. If I go with the forward mount that uses the dovetail under the rear sight, I'd need about 13 inches of relief. If I drill and tap into the receiver with the rearward mount, I would need both an 8 inch eye relief scope plus a bent bolt handle.

I'm ok with having to spend extra on the bent bolt because I sure as heck don't see any scopes with a 13 inch relief. But I'm also having a very hard time finding one with 8 inches.

Am I doing something wrong in my measurements? I want to turn this into more of a sniper rifle, shooting targets between 100 and 400 yards. Am I dreaming? Will I have to spend way too much on glass to make that happen, or can say a 4-16x be good enough? I don't need competition quality, this is just target shooting for fun.

Thanks for any input.

Dillinger 09-28-2012 04:59 PM

I think what you could be looking for is a special category of scopes that are designed to mounted forward of the receiver on certain rifles.

The are called "Scout" scopes, thus named for the scout rifle that Jeff Cooper "invented".

I do not have much, practically zero, experience with them but if I understand your need properly, this type of scope might be exactly what you are looking for and several quality brands offer a "scout" type model.

Hope that helps somewhat.

JD

12fretter 09-28-2012 06:12 PM

OK, I've done a bit more reading. I was under the impression that I would need 4-12 or 4-16 magnification, but it seems that's not necessarily true. Especially not in my limited price range.

So I ran across this, and wondered, if I could get good enough to surpass the limitations of this scope, I would be justified in purchasing a better one. Let's face it, for this price, the scope can't be all that.

I was planning on upgrading the stock anyway, which would have been $65 on it's own, then a scope mount for about $40, then a scope.

Does this seem too cheap and chintzy? I have limited funds right now, but I want to make this into a modern hunter weapon. Thanks for any further advise.

Dillinger 09-28-2012 06:21 PM

Well 12f, on a budget it will do what you want. It won't be ideal and I am a little concerned that the scope is a 32mm "pistol" scope with long eye relief, so I would wonder what reticle you are getting and whether it will be to thick and cover your targets at longer ranges.

With a decent 2x7, and this one does have 1/4 MOA clicks which is American Standard, there is no reason you could not engage targets out to 400 yards.

No seeing the details of the target at that range, with such a lower end scope, is going to be really hard unless your eyesight is better than perfect.

The kill zone on an American deer is the size of a paper plate, more or less, so for a hunting rifle application I think it will get your bullet on that animal's hide in the right spot.

For a "sniper" rifle, not so much. :o

I'd consider doing a glass bed job for the "drop in" stock, just on GP alone because even "drop in" components leave areas that can be less desirable. ;)

JTJ 09-28-2012 06:31 PM

A pistol or scout scope which are LER/ long eye relief scopes. Stick with a fixed 2x or 2.5x. I have a 2.5x pistol scope on my Mini 30 in a forward mount and it works.

locutus 09-28-2012 08:48 PM

You don't need more than 2.5X for that rifle. Get a Leupold pistol scope for ~ $200.

Dillinger 09-28-2012 09:06 PM

You know, those guys have a point. ^^^

I should clarify when I am talking shooting distance it's for sub MOA groups, so I like higher power magnification so I can make small corrections on the target.

400 yards on a deer sized target, for a kill shot, you can probably away with a lower power scope, or that 2-7 set on a lower power in the field.

lilrichthedragon 10-18-2012 05:50 PM

Does anyone have an experience with a variable scope 3-9 x40 or etc on a 91/30? I have a aim scope on there now and im not really happy with it. I wanted to know if anyone has owned a good scope. Not trying to spend over 100 but willing to for a good scope. Thank you in advance

assualtready070 01-08-2013 12:57 PM

Can someone please explain what Eye Relief is?
Thx and keep shooting

JTJ 01-08-2013 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eye relief is the distance from the rear optic to the eye that you get a full view of the reticle. There are pistol and scout scopes both fixed and variable that have the necessary long eye relief for a scout mount. If I were setting up a Mosin, I would remove the rear sight and use 1" rings normally used on the 22lr or air rifles. Or I would use an adapter rail. Below is a 2.5x pistol scope on a Ruger Mini 30.