Scope For R-25 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope For R-25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I like the Simmons scopes. There customer service is great and all of the rifle scopes from them I've used are clear. Most people who hunt in the brush (200 yards or less) are pretty happy with a 3-9x or a 4-12x. You'd be surprised what some of the cheaper scopes can hold up to. I never was a big Leupold fan though, guess I'm missing he big attraction of them somehow, just seemed like I would be paying for a name.
What really matters is that you get what fits you best, kind of like how your friends gun didnt fit you, I'm sure it fit them though.
There are good and bad Leupold scopes.

Take your simmons and place it next to a VX-III or VX-3 of the same power and you tell me your Simmons is bright and clear.

Sure some of the price of a Leupold is name but they do make some mighty fine scopes.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've always been one of those people who believe the glass should match the gun. I'm not going to put a $1.4K scope on a $700 dollar gun. I've never actually had the chance to compare Leupold side-by-side with a Simmons or Bushnell. I'm not saying they aren't good, I'm just saying I've never been a fan of the price tag, after all I dont have nearly the amount of funds most people that buy Leupold do.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 AM   #13

Well I got $300 worth of simmons scopes sitting in my reloading room that are useless. Because they all broke. Leupold's may be more expensive but they break less and when they do customer service is TOP NOTCH. Unless your me that is. That is a different story though.

My three main guns are all topped with $500 scopes. Two Nikon monarch's and one Bushnell. My deer rifle has a Vortex Corssfire. Put that vortex next to a simmons and you will be amazed at the difference in clarity and brightness.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I'm not quite sure why you would have $300 worth of broken scopes when you can get them replaced for close to nothing since they have a lifetime warranty. You practically have the chuck the scope across the room to void the warranty, but to each their own.
All the shooters and hunters I know who use Simmons have never had to replace their scopes so I'll continue to use them. I've been trying to rattle my Bushnell Banner loose for several months now while its sitting on top of my 308 I've failed so far

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Cody,

Do yourself a favor and buy a top quality scope. I have a lot of scopes that during good light and optimum environmental conditions are what I would consider Good Scopes! But you mentioned Deer and Hogs. There sets the scene! If you have not hunted then much it will not be long before you recognize that a lot of Hogs as well as Big Bucks appear like ghosts in that time period 1/2 Hour after sun set. Some of the good scopes I thought I had made it very difficult during this time period to detect if the buck had 6 or 10 points. And while it was still legal to shoot. So the ability of the particular scope to gather light at dawn and dusk is very important. Some of the best scopes I have found for this in the medium price bracket were Leupold and Nikon. I would also suggest you take a look at the 30mm Scope Tube Models before you buy. There are a lot of good scopes but when it comes down to it they have limits! It is all in the quality of the glass that is used. As we tell the guys at the rifle schools! You can not shoot what you can not see!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Well I'm not quite sure why you would have $300 worth of broken scopes when you can get them replaced for close to nothing since they have a lifetime warranty. You practically have the chuck the scope across the room to void the warranty, but to each their own.
All the shooters and hunters I know who use Simmons have never had to replace their scopes so I'll continue to use them. I've been trying to rattle my Bushnell Banner loose for several months now while its sitting on top of my 308 I've failed so far
Because 1 simmons (Top of the line when I bought it) laster all of 10 shots on my 19# 308. Take it off and chuck it. I don't have time to waste on them sorry.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #17

Just wanted to thank all of you guys for the help. Now I have a much better understanding of scopes than I've ever had before. Just one more question though...What do you mean by 30mm?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Cody,

I stand corrected! You will not need a Scout Rail on the R-25 you have enough room for proper eye relief by mounting the scope and rings directly to the Receiver. I had a mind set thinking of the 5.56 Receiver!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Just wanted to thank all of you guys for the help. Now I have a much better understanding of scopes than I've ever had before. Just one more question though...What do you mean by 30mm?
30mm is the diameter of the main tube of the scope.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
30mm is a measurement, just like inches. It can refer to the measurement of the main scope tube, the part the rings actually grab onto or the objective lens of the scope. Some scopes come in 1 inch diameter scope tubes and are good but 30mm is larger in diameter and area and will gather more light.
1" = 25.4mm diameter
30mm = 1.181 inches diameter
You might wonder why .181 inches might be better but you have to think of the area of the lens, those numbers there are simply daimeter.
30mm diameter tube = 706.858mm (27.829 inches) area
1 inch diameter tube = 506.707mm (19.949 inches) area

If you're hunting or long range shooting, go 30mm and dont look back is the common recommendation.
Oh and dont forget to thank your high school math teacher.