Scope question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Scope question

I am getting a new deer rifle and I want info on the scope for it. The gun is a Tikka T3 lite stainless in a 270 WSM. I don't have much experience with scopes so I need help. I want the power to be no less than 12 and adjustable. Any objective 40mm and bigger will do. 1/8 inch adjustments would be nice but I can do with 1/4. I would like the finish to be stainless to match the gun and my price range is $150 and under. Any advice, suggestions, or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
~TJ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

What kind of terrain are you going to be in? Open prairie, meadows, Ridges and saddles in the rockies? Thick forests or alders?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
What kind of terrain are you going to be in? Open prairie, meadows, Ridges and saddles in the rockies? Thick forests or alders?
Well I will mostly be hunting in Kansas in fields and thin timber but I will also be hunting pronghorn in the plains of Wyoming.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Don't you mean power (less) than 12?
In Silver and $150<less.
Look to Simmons 44Mag, Bsa Contender or Platinum, Bushnell Trophy, Center Point?, Redfield, Primary Arms.
You're VERY LIMITED when looking for Silver Scopes in this price range, unless used, but a few can be found.
Does it really need to be silver? I have a Stainless Ruger 77/22Magnum that I put a Matted Simmons 44Mag(3-12x44SF) on and it looks very good/shoots great, and is certainly easier to find than Silver.
Del

Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well I want the highest power to be no less than 12. Thanks for the suggestions and yes it does NEED to be silver.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I second the look of a black matted scope on a stainless rifle. But back to your question........
what is the minimum for focal range going to be at? 4x12? As Triumphman says above, his scope is a 3x12 but most I believe come in 4x12. For me, a 4x powered scope is too large magnification in any kind of forest. I would rather it be a 3x12, or a 3x9 which ois more common to me and my areas of shoppin'.
There is a websight called Slickguns that shows daily sales from all across the country at different stores, and if you have the patience, you can get some great deals on scopes once in a while. I bought a Nikon 3x9x40 for 106 dollars, that the next day the store listed it at 169.

Optics planet has a large selection to look through in silvers and blacks, and a large price range. You could find one that is the magnification to your liking and we could then shop for a better deal, etc

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

At the start, I would not be looking for what you are. While I DO use high magnification scopes, they are on varmint guns, I am shooting from a bipod, and pretty much zeroed in on one spot (mouth of a burrow).

At 12 power, you may have a very hard time FINDING the animal in the scope- as power goes up, field of view drops. And all other things being equal, as magnification goes up, brightness drops.

I have an older BAR that has taken a truckload (literally) of deer and antelope. It has a Redfield Widefield 3-9 variable. The originals are not made anymore- Leoupold makes them now- but if you could find an original, you could do worse.

Besides paying for brand name, higher dollar scopes are getting better glass, better coatings, less distortion, more light. That may be more important that the highest magnification.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #8

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

C3 is right. A cheap higher magnification scope can also have parallax and eye relief issues. I'm not sure what the need is for big bells on hunters these days.
I use a Weaver V10, 2-10x38mm on my 7mm Rem Mag. Plenty of scope. I don't think it has been above 7 yet. It is made in Silver and covers your needs. It is inexpensive, but is solid. It has VG light transmission for low light.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-rifle-scopes-v10-10x38.html

Now is it as good as my Sightron SII Big sky scopes? No, but it does serve its' intended purpose well. It will not win any fashion show, it is a tool.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As the others have said, the larger magnifications are for bench shooting and prairie dogs using rests. The larger magnification just brings in more wobble and haze into your sight picture when hunting in the field , and as others have said, up on a high setting is very hard to even find the animal through your scope. I use a 1.75x6 power on my hunting rifle and rarely ever have it up past 3x

Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry I meant it does not need to be silver. What is the best 3-9 or 2-10 I can get for $150?