Scope Question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts >

Scope Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks Craig.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #12

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

I was looking at the XLT when I got my Vortex. They are supposed to be good scopes. The only thing I would shy away from in the bushnell line are the sportsviews.

I am sure I don't need 12x on my deer rifle but knowing it is there if I some how end up with a 200 yard shot is nice to know.

Everyone knows I tend to march to the beat of my own drum. That is one of the reasons I don't own a 10/22 or a 3-9x scope. They work but for me I think the 4-12x is a better overall scope. Esp if you want to say deer hunt and varmint or predator hunt with the same rifle. That 12x will give you a few extra yards on varmints or yotes.

There are low cost scopes and their are cheap scopes. Low cost give you a quality optic for a reasonable price. We don't expect them to perform like a Nightforce, S&B, Ziess or a Leupold Mark 4. Cheap scopes are just that cheaply made cheaply sold and all around junk.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Another scope question?

Hey guys what scope would you put on an AR-15 A1, fixed handle, 20"bbl, for shooting at approx 300 yards? Same rifle config only an A3 flattop, same range. I go with the idea that if I can see it I can hit it!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7289 Times on 3878 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloMan View Post
Hey guys what scope would you put on an AR-15 A1, fixed handle, 20"bbl, for shooting at approx 300 yards? Same rifle config only an A3 flattop, same range. I go with the idea that if I can see it I can hit it!
my colt sp-1 a1 has a colt 4x scope works fanastic with 55grn bullets. the scope has made in japan stamped on it so i take it the optics are japanese and colt just labels em. i dont think they make em anymore. the super cool thing is it has a dial bdc that moves the xhairs and actually works and returns to zero. optics arent as wide a field of view as more modern scopes or quite as bright but it definately gets the job done. the scope base is see thru so iron sights can be used without removing the scope.

one other thing: i dont think colt makes or supplies these anymore and there are a ton of chinese fakes and copies. nikon makes a nice 1x4 under the monarch make leopold makes good 1x4 as well.

Last edited by JonM; 11-08-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #15

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Don, a general rule of thumb is 1x per 100 yards.

I actually prefer lower powered scopes for hunting, because they point faster on lower power.

For paper punching though, the higher powers are satisfying.

Some of my deer rifles have Leupold 2-7's on them, and they are very easy to carry, while still plenty good enough for 300+.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have sixty year old eyes Rock and need more help than you do.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #17

Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I can appreciate your setting a price limit for a scope and sticking to it. Do it myself quite often.

I've nothing against brands/models you've asked about. But, you should take a look at the Nitrex TR1 or TR2 scopes available at Natchez Shooters Supply. They are discontinued models at reduced prices and Nitrex has sweetened the price by having either a $50 or $100 rebate on them.

Nitrex and Weaver both owned by ATK, who owns Federal Cartridge, Speer, CCI, Alliant and others. Nitrex and Weaver both made by LOW of Japan and have outstanding Optics. The Nitrex TR1s are Weaver Grand Slams and TR2s are Weaver Super Slams. So, instead of paying around $480 for a 3-15X42 side focus with pullup turrets for a Weaver Super Slam, can get same scope from Natchez as a Nitrex tr2 3-15x42 SF with pullup turrets for $218.

Have two of the Nitrex TR2s, outstanding scopes, really bargain priced.

Check out this Natchez web page....can view all Nitrex models available. Worth a look.

Nitrex TR Two 3-15X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle - Natchez Shooters Supplies TR Two 3-15X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

Old 11-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Excellent information there. Thumbs up.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I looked at the Nitrex scope you gave me the link for at Natchez and I almost bought it. However, I thought I'd compare prices on the Nikon and the Bushnell while I was at it and wound up buying the Bushnell. The price was too good to pass up. It's the Trophy XLT 6-18x40.

Here's a link to it: Bushnell Trophy 6-18X40 AO Riflescope Multi-X Reticle Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies

The plan is to put it on the Eddystone and move the 3-9x40 Nikon to the 03A3. Once I get the match trigger sorted out on the Eddystone, it will become my long distance Zombie shooter. I will use the 03A3 as a field rifle, so the lower powered scope will be fine.

BTW, I got to shoot Jo da Plumber's KelTec with a Bushnell red dot on it today. It's the first time I've ever shot with a red dot and I really liked it. I think I want to get one for my Mini 14.
I have a B Square scope mount that I can use with it and that will still allow me to use the iron sights.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #20

Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

CA357,

Congrats on the new trophy scope, I'm sure it will be just fine for your Eddystone.

By the way, just installed a Dayton Traister trigger from Midway on my Remington m1917 sporter, but haven't taken it to range yet to try out. But noticeably lighter trigger pull now. Had to do a little wood removal in the sporter stock and metal removal on slot for Dayton trigger in trigger guard, but not nearly as much as for the Bold Trigger I installed on a sporter 96 Swede the day before.

Last edited by huffmanite; 11-23-2010 at 03:10 AM.