Scope for an outdoors rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Optics & Mounts > Scope for an outdoors rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Scope for an outdoors rifle

I need to throw a scope on my rifle that's more of an "Oh i've had this gun forever and always shot iron sights."
So it's a savage 110 30-06 I need a good scope that I can hunt with and target shoot and the whole nine yards ya know ? I've got damn good accuracy and can group good but unless there inside 60 yards its not happening. So I need your opinion what is a good one for 150$?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5919 Times on 3348 Posts
Likes Given: 5458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_Rebel68 View Post
I need to throw a scope on my rifle that's more of an "Oh i've had this gun forever and always shot iron sights."
So it's a savage 110 30-06 I need a good scope that I can hunt with and target shoot and the whole nine yards ya know ? I've got damn good accuracy and can group good but unless there inside 60 yards its not happening. So I need your opinion what is a good one for 150$?

Sorry to say, but I don't believe there are any. If ya go to $250-$300, there are lotsa mid range scopes from Burris, Nikon and a few other makers.

For the .30-06, a decent 2.5-10, or 3-9 is hard to beat. check out:

www.swfa.com

www.opticsplanet.com

Winston Churchill
JimRau Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Redfield Revenge, Nikon Prostaff, Burris Fulfield II have scopes in the $150 range. What distance are you shooting? Personally I like lower range variables. 2-7x35 is a good hunter as is 3-9x40. 1.5-6x24-32 is my favorite.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Scoping a Savage 110 can get tricky if you don't use a 1 pc Weaver rail for a base. You have to get a scope with a long main tube if you want to use a 2 pc base set up.
If you want to get a 1 pc rail,look on MidUSA.com,and look at your action and get the right one. If it's an older model,it should have a flat rear receiver and a round front.
If it's a newer one,it will be round on the front/back.
Weaver/EGW/Ken Farrell all make bases for your rifle,and I like to use Burris Signature Zee rings on all of my scopes. Those are the only rings that I will buy anymore!

Like the others said,spend a little more and get a decent scope for your rifle. Weaver makes a dang good scope for a decent price,as do the others listed.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #5

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If a 3-10 power is OK for you, then check www.natchezss.com for what Nitrex TR1 scopes they have left. Very nice scope, basically a Weaver Grand Slam. Price will be around $120 plus shipping. Its a discontinued brand, but the lifetime warranty on it will be handled by Weaver.

Another scope at Natchez worth a look is the Weaver 40/44 3.8-12x44 A.O. aspherical lens. It too is priced at $120 plus shipping. This scope normally sells for around $170.

Price wise, the Nitrex is a better buy since its price was once around $270. Both the Nitrex and Weaver 40/44 have optics that should be very satisfactory when it comes to clarity and brightness. Nitrex was made in Japan by one of best scope manufacturers in Asia....makes higher end scopes for Weaver, Bushnell and other well known brands. The 40/44 line is made in Philippines.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Scoping a Savage 110 can get tricky if you don't use a 1 pc Weaver rail for a base. You have to get a scope with a long main tube if you want to use a 2 pc base set up.
If you want to get a 1 pc rail,look on MidUSA.com,and look at your action and get the right one. If it's an older model,it should have a flat rear receiver and a round front.
If it's a newer one,it will be round on the front/back.
Weaver/EGW/Ken Farrell all make bases for your rifle,and I like to use Burris Signature Zee rings on all of my scopes. Those are the only rings that I will buy anymore!

Like the others said,spend a little more and get a decent scope for your rifle. Weaver makes a dang good scope for a decent price,as do the others listed.
Offset rings are available if you want to use the 2 piece bases.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Yes they are,but some short bodied scopes still have mounting problems when trying to mount them on Long actions with the offset rings.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Yes they are,but some short bodied scopes still have mounting problems when trying to mount them on Long actions with the offset rings.
a lot of that can also be dependent upon the scope tube. the body of some are just too short to use two piece bases and even offset rings. i have run int that myself with some scopes.