Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Optics & Mounts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   To scope or not to scope.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/scope-not-scope-24132/)

NymphoGnome 03-03-2010 02:54 AM

To scope or not to scope....

So I just recently acquired a Marlin 795, I have yet to fire. I am planning on going thursday to the indoor range. I would like to get an inexpensive scope (more than likely the $30-$40 Bushnell at Walmart) and I realize inexpensive/cheap + Good Scope = laughable.

So my question is, if I buy an inexpensive scope from walmart is it just going to crumble to dust in my hands next month? Or Should I just see how I like my stock sights?

hunter Joe 03-03-2010 03:58 AM

Those Bushnell rim-fire scope are a pretty fair value and you can't go wrong for fifty bucks. It's not like you going to shoot a speck of do do off a flies butt at 300 yards with a 22 anyway. I'd go for it. Joe

NymphoGnome 03-03-2010 04:34 AM

As long as I can put a hole between the eyes of my zombie target, I am happy.

hunter Joe 03-03-2010 04:41 AM

There ain't a Zombie alive, I mean dead, that could survive that combination.

NymphoGnome 03-03-2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 240226)
There ain't a Zombie alive, I mean dead, that could survive that combination.

I don't know, the people that watch Keith Olbermann are still moving. :D

Tackleberry1 03-03-2010 04:49 AM

Go for it

Quote:

Originally Posted by NymphoGnome (Post 240175)
So I just recently acquired a Marlin 795, I have yet to fire. I am planning on going thursday to the indoor range. I would like to get an inexpensive scope (more than likely the $30-$40 Bushnell at Walmart) and I realize inexpensive/cheap + Good Scope = laughable.

So my question is, if I buy an inexpensive scope from walmart is it just going to crumble to dust in my hands next month? Or Should I just see how I like my stock sights?

I've got a $500.00 Leupold VX 3 on my deer rifle and it's worth every penny. But it has a specific purpose, taking down white tailed bucks in low light conditions. The price you pay for any scope has to do with a couple of factors but it's mainly about light transmission and lens clairity and with scopes you get what you pay for...But that does not mean a $40.00 Bushnell isn't sufficient for a .22
If your target shooting in good light that Bushnell will do you just fine.

diggsbakes 03-03-2010 04:30 PM

I've never put a scope on any of my .22s, but I use them mainly to practice for speed/mechanics. If you're using your .22 to practice for a similar center-fire rifle then I would set it up accordingly.

Hunter Joe your avatar is extremely disturbing I can hardly look at it. :eek:

hunter Joe 03-03-2010 05:40 PM

Diggs, I had a bug up my a$$ this morning about closed minded people and was feeling a little ugly inside. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.

cpttango30 03-03-2010 06:06 PM

For a plinker them bushnell reimfire scopes will do you just fine.

I have a scope on all but one of mine. I have a new addition to my rimfire stable and I need to figure out a good scope for it.

diggsbakes 03-03-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 240512)
Diggs, I had a bug up my a$$ this morning about closed minded people and was feeling a little ugly inside. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.

I've never seen that one. They did a pretty good job with it though. Straight out of a horror flic. :)